'87 cut off valve | FerrariChat

'87 cut off valve

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by plip, Jul 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi

whilst preparing the engine for a major, have disconnected the air filters and cut off valves for the secondary air injection system (my car is an 87 Swiss and does not have secondary air pump) from each bank.

If understand correctly the cut off valve should only be open during warm up and controlled by the vacuum created by the intake plenum and by oil and water thermo switches.

Is it correct that, if so, the passage should be closed when looking through a valve ?

Now looking through one of the valve it does not look particularly healthy (looks like melted platic) whilst the other look totally open (can look through) .

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now if my assumption is correct, i.e. they should be both look closed , it means the car has been constantly running with extra air entering the exhaust ?

Tks for any help.

Gianni

2. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Grazie Vincenzo. Mine are melted inside and NO will not spend 280 usd a piece as asked for by Ricambi. Do someone know of any compatible item ?

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    PS: presumably you have an exhaust gas check valves in your Swiss system. Likely they failed and let the hot gases into your valves. If so - be sure to check.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    As I think about it....

that was a lot of hot gas flowing the wrong way. It may mean higher than normal back pressure in your system. Consider pulling your cats and checking to see if they may be plugged.

6. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Indeed the check valves sure need replacement. Soon as the engine is out on the cradle will have a closer look. As to Cat, well, have been running the car without cats for a while and then had to re-install for gas testing and drove the car abt 2 years again with cats. Had to change them last months with another spare pair had on the shelf since the one mounted on the car would not pass the emission test. So really believe you hit it on the nail.