85 TR no start - no fuel at cold start valves & no spark | FerrariChat

85 TR no start - no fuel at cold start valves & no spark

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by daveapplemotors, Jul 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daveapplemotors

Jun 8, 2004
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave Dutton
    It turns over but doesn't fire. What values do I look for at diagnostic plug for cam and crank senders?
    Any other ideas?

I am new here. I saw thread "87 TR ignition starting problem" and read about 1,000 posts (including the Mid East politcal ones. WOW). Any other threads that cover this?
    thanks,
    Dave

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    It sounds like 2 different problems. If when cold you don't have any fuel at the cold start injector and I mean no fuel at the injector not no fuel coming out of the injector then you have fuel leak down somewhere. Usually the fuel accumulator.
    If you mean no fuel spraying from the CSI then that could be the thermo time switch.

The best way to test the Bosch CIS system is to pressure test it. Sometimes you don't have to if you know you have a hot start problem, vapor lock, fuel leakdown.
    You can remove the vent line from the fuel accumulator and see if fuel comes out. If so it needs to be replaced. Anyway, hopefully this will get you started.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Please further explain the symptom. When you say: "It turns over but doesn't fire" does that mean you've verified no spark during cranking or just that no cylinder "coughs"?

Here's a shot of the TR Diagnostic Socket with the functions added (don't know why they bring the TDC sensor lines to multiple pins).

(If your problem is no spark) You should at least measure/confirm the +12V between the yellow (G) pin and the black (N) ground pin during cranking. If you want to try a DC resistance measurement across the TDC sensor you should probably unplug the 25-pin ignition ECU.

What version TR?

4. daveapplemotors

Jun 8, 2004
    Denver Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave Dutton
    I will check the G and N wires at the diagnostic plug and thanks for the tip about unplugging the ign ECU to test resistance across the crank and cam sensors. Also I will check the connections to anything at the computers. And also the tachymetric relay as per the other "85 Testarossa starting problem" thread...
    I will let you know what I find when I get the chance to visit the car again.

Thanks mucho guys!
    Dave