'84 Light Switch | FerrariChat

'84 Light Switch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by westyguy, Dec 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well I screwed up. Getting into my car I hit the light stalk with my knee and crunched it. I'm trying to get to the switch assembly to see if I can repair it. I have the shrouds and steering wheel off, along with the hub. I'm assuming the two nuts at 1:00 and 7:00 are what is fastening everything to the column. If someone has been into this switch and can give me a little guidance, it would be appreciated. I read the thread on the 3x8 forum on light switch repair, but this is a different beast. I'm betting I'll need to mould some new plastic parts, but it's hard to tell without getting to the switch. I've fished out all the broken-off bits and it might be that they can be glued back into position...I just can't tell yet. I needed to work on the switch anyway because the low beams would cut out if you just touched the lever, so there was an existing problem.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #2 afterburner, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve sorry to hear.
    Below a pic of the switch off - you may be able to determine which are the fixing screws as they are off in the pic. Probably the 2 at 180° and 350°.
    Re the "touch" problem: Could be a cold solder point at the rotating end of the stalk as it was on mine. See pic. When you pull off the rotating part, make sure you don't loose the ball inside the locates it at the 90° positions.
    Good luck - post some images! Urs
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #3 westyguy, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Please recall that Verell, here on Fchat, can rebuild the stalk completely if you get in too deep.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    oh man! that doesn't look nice :eek: My experience with repairing plastic parts and retain its strenght is not very well with whatever glue you take. I always try to repair plastic using a hot needle or nail to melt it together. It gets most of its orignal strenght back as it uses its own material to get back together. be carefull though as a mistake is final when using a melting technique.

I saw prices that are insane in the US.. asking 700 USD for a broken mainswitch..

Try these guys, if in the end you do not succeed in repairing it. (email them first if they have this item in stock)
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchResult_one.asp?S=119317&TM=1&TMo=665&TA=1&TB=39034

Anyway I would try repairing it first. Hope you succeed in it! If so, post some pics?