'84 Electrical Diagram Needed | FerrariChat

'84 Electrical Diagram Needed

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by westyguy, Nov 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've been seaarching for an electrical diagram for my '84 cab without success. Does anyone have anything on pdf available, or any suggestions on sourcing a complete diagram? I have several electrical issues (imagine that) on my just-purchased car. I don't want to go tearing panels out without some direction on what hooks where.

Some of the issues:
    No mirror operation on either mirror
    No door speaker operation from radio
    Bonnett warning light on
    No trunk light operation
    No windshield washers

Thanks for all the help to this noobie!
    Steve

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    US or euro? Send me an email at:

[email protected]

(and I'll get off my duff and send them both to Ben Deetman so that he can put them up at his www.ferraridatabase.com site, but that may take a while).

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    The mirrors may be the switch. It's a common 5-series BMW part. Simply pry out the entire switch assembly from the door. You can try cleaning the switch and contacts using some Deoxit D5. (Available at Fry's Electronics and online. Radio Shack carries the regular Deoxit, but you want to buy the D5 which can be hard to find.)

Usually when my bonnet warning light is on, it means that the gas filler door isn't closed properly. You could get a helper to watch the light and then run around the car manually closing the bonnet circuits (switches) and see if one turns the light off.

Regarding the door speaker... You'll have to solve this the old fashioned way. Pull the stereo to see if it's working properly. (It probably is.) Most likely (and this happened on my '84 Mondial) a speaker wire vibrated loose at the speaker. Pulling the door panel is pretty easy.

Trunk light operation and windshield washers... Check your grounds first. Then, using a volt meter, ensure that the light and washer pump are getting power.

When I purchased my '84 Mondial virtually nothing electrical worked properly. Using Deoxit D5 to clean contacts and then protecting them with Stabilent (spelling?) has worked wonders. For almost two weeks everything worked!

Then the reverse lights quit working...
    followed by the front bonnet release...
    then the mirror switch again...
    the starter doesn't always spin when I turn the key...
    etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, I've found that the less I drive the car the more crap goes wrong. I think that the vibration and bumps from driving it helps all of the connections maintain contact.

Good luck and hang in there!

5. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Amen to that.

I searched and was never able to find the 84 wiring diagram...ended up fixing electrical stuff the old fashioned way...test here, test there (start with the component and the switch...whichever is easier to get to)...If you do find 84 diagram please let us know.

6. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
  7. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, Everybody! This will come in handy...climate control quit yesterday.

Steve

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson