'83 Straman Convertible for sale on ebay in New Jersey | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'83 Straman Convertible for sale on ebay in New Jersey

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Jan 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave is working on logistics and will get back to me this week. I will make a check list based on all of my "lessons learned" over 8 years before looking at car. There is not much that I have not 'touched' on my car.

I agree that $5-6K/year maintenance it high if you can do most work yourself. I do a winter R&R every year and not much rest of year. My costs have been much lower on average but the $14K timing chain and tensioner change raised the average significantly. It is the tensioner not the chain that means the engine comes out and once it is out I did all the gaskets, seals and engine mounts.
    Ken

2. ulm210

ulm210 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    So today I tracked down the guy who sold it to the current seller. He was the high bidder on the 2011 ebay auction that closed at $27,700. He was building a stable of classic cars for a business venture where you buy a membership and then drive the various cars when you want. There was one here in Chicago a couple years ago that advertised everywhere but I have not heard of them since.

Anyway, for whatever reason his business did not work out and he sold his cars.

The things he did to the car: Chased a problem where every time the car got warm it would not start. Said they replaced the fuel accumulator and the fuel pump, but sold the car before he was convinced the problem was solved. He also said the car had a bunch of faulty switches in the dash and console, which the current seller says have been replaced. He says the car was straight and clean (the dent in the front bonnet was there when he bought it). He said he has a bunch of parts that he bought but the current seller did not want; a new front bumper, reproduction 16" wheels, spacers and tires; a new set of bushings for the front suspension and some other parts that he would have to start going through his storage to see what else.

So, Ken, I guess the fuel system is probably something that should be keyed on. He also said he thinks he remembers the exhaust system was starting to corrode. He said the tires were bad and that they had flat spots so the tires needed to really heat up before the vibrations would stop.

Ken, I will compose a PM to you tomorrow and then will get back to you Tue with confirmation for Friday with contact info for each party.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Is anything happening with this car? Any of you are serious bidders on it?

4. ulm210

ulm210 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Well I am not bidding as I wont purchase any car without seeing it first, and in this case without having a PPI. So, unless a car is close to me I probably will not buy off of ebay.

As the bids have met reserve it looks like it is selling. I will call the seller and let him know that if the sale falls through I will still be interested. SouthJersey400i has generously offered to do a PPI for me. So, we'll see what happens.

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #30 godabitibi, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    OK, only 1 hour left and I AM the high bidder. I spoke to the owner and if the auction finish like it is now I will buy.

I can allready hear BIG RED laughing at my stupidity :D

BUT, if you are very serious and act fast I'm willing to give you a chance to buy before I do. Not by bidding I know you won't bid before seeng it or a PPI. After auction is finished do what you have to do before I go pick up the car and if you are interrested than let me know and I will let you buy the car.

Does it sound fair?

6. ulm210

ulm210 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
  7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    OK, just received the messae from ULM210 to confirm he will pass for this time.

So this car is definitely coming to Canada in the next few weeks. I'm sure I'll love it for this summer.

A lot of new stuff to learn for me. Learn the new car, learn how to pilot a helicopter. Good thing I'll be off for a full year.

I hope you guys will be here to help me with this new baby.

8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
  9. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #35 godabitibi, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    For all interrested party, I bought this car and never received it because it was impossible to start to load on shipper's truck at two different dates. Apparently the starter was again smoking even after replacing it the second time. I offered to buy as is and owner refused to sell non running and offered me to refund. He said he would totally refund my expenses including my lost in dollar exchange. He only refund PART of my money and I lost $6000 cdn in the deal. Seller never answered my last emails and phone calls.

A total liar.

BUYERS BEWARE.

11. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Good to know and sorry about the experience, Claude! Have you purchased another car instead or? I hope any potential buyers of this convertible read this so they know what kind of person the seller is...

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    There is a "Report Fraud" link on the ad page if you'd like to try to use it to warn others.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #38 godabitibi, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Thanks Mike, a good idea. I sent a message to report my experience and also sent him a email asking if he sells if he will refund my money. Let see if he will answer.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes a very bad experience especially that it happened at the same time when I had an emergency surgery and was off from work for a full year and 3 other surgery within 10 months because of intestinal problems so I was not in a situation to really fight with him so I just dropped the towel and forgot about it.

And yes Otto I bought something else but totally different. A 2007 Corvette convertible with a Edelbrock supercharger.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #40 godabitibi, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    BTW take a look at his Ebay feedback (Barclay102292) you will see I'm not the only one with bad experience. At least two more unsatisfied buyers of cars from him. And my feedback is not there because by the time I understood I had a serious problem the time to leave a feeback had expired.
    Also when I paid for the car the bill of sale I received was from IMPORT 1 MOTORSPORT in Pipersville NJ.
    I called there and Robert (the owner) told me he was a partner but he couldn't help me and he also had a fishy story about financial problem because of a fire and bla bla bla!

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=barclay102292&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc

http://www.import1motorsport.com/default.aspx?classic=true

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The autotrader ad is gone. Don't know if it's because I reported it.

17. UK430

UK430 Rookie

Mar 29, 2014
    Hi from the UK.

Does anyone know the actual number of Stranam 400 convertibles produced? Or better still does anyone know if there is an accessible registry of Stranam conversions?

18. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    There is no complete register of Straman conversions that I know of. There are at least 38 365 GT4 2+2, 400 and 412 convertibles that are attributed to Straman. Straman was not the only converter in the US - there were quite a few - but Straman was among the best.

Other US converters include G&K, Sheldon Brooks, etc.

19. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Have you seen any documentation on how to tell who did the conversion? I can't seem to find anything official on ours.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk