82' mondial questions.. | FerrariChat

82' mondial questions..

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by smg2, Oct 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i ran across a gent with an 82' mondial coupe for sale red/tan. couple questions, it's in decent shape cosmeticly a 3.5 out of 5. the engine was just completly rebuilt, new suspension brakes and clutch. now the bad, well to start, it's the window to door rubber is missing, the carpets need eithier a reall good cleaning or replacement. the leather could stand some work or replacing, faded cracked and crappy aftermarket rims but otherwise in good 'running' condition. seems the owner bought it a yr ago and has spent over 35k in engine rebuilding, electronics, a/c, suspension and hoses. now to his asking price...

35k. this to me seems quite high, but then again i've been wrong before. he really just wants out at this point for what he put into it. "first and last ferrari" where his words. what is a good offer for a car of this condition? i know the work was done as the "reciept book" he has bears this out. anything to look for? the allure to me is the quircky +2 seating.

however if a really nice 328 qv pops up for 35k i'll jump.

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    $35K is typically high for a 82 Mondial.
    That is 3.2 money in the past.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i would never pay 35k for this car, but 15-20k sounds about right, or am i off? at least the enigine and gear box have been renewed. would this insult if he is starting so high? he at least as to have some idea that 35k is far to much for the car.

ah well, if i can get it for 18.5k is that decent for this model? can't seem to find much on this model other than most don't like it.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    82'?

That's one loooooooong Mondial.

Run.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    He'll never sell it at $35K. People always make the mistake of thinking they're going to get their costs back out of cars.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i'm quite sure he'll never get 35k, but i wouldn't mind having to replace a few cosmetic items if all the mechanicles have been taken care of. i look at it as a part restoration. with the big items already paid for. question is, is it worth even 20k????

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    maybe - need a ppi to really know

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mondial's (as well as many other "interesting cars") have gone up in value as of late. I am pretty sure he could get $20,000 for it - I assume easily, considering the drivetrain rebuild & all.

I think $35,000 for a Mondial 8 is a very strong number however.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i'm going to check it out again and take some pics i'll post 'em up for you all.
    but i fiqured i'd start an offer at 20k and see where it goes.
    thanks.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It is quite possible he did spend 35k on it, but no one else should. I have NEVER heard of a 35K 82 Mondial. He could only possibly get that if he finds someone who has no clue at all about the value of these cars. The car as described is worth $15,000-18,000. Period.

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    If you want to spend 20k see me. I may sell for that. ;)

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #12 smg2, Oct 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    well i pulled the trigger and bought the mondial. we negotiated a fair price, it comes with many spares and new uninstalled parts. including a ss exhaust system that replaces the cats.

the work done was far more than i prevously thought. complete new engine and fuel injection, new clutch, brakes, radiator and hoses. updated ignition system no longer using points. new switches and ignition switch, the list is endless. basicly a complete restoration. he had orderd a slew of new parts and hasn't had them installed. nice projects for me i think. i'll post more pics tommorow here is the car at the local concours.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Woo-hoo!!
    It looks great - those are very gorgeous upmarket alloy wheels as well. Be sure to keep the original wheels if available.
    It really does look great - congrats and welcome to being a Ferrari owner!!
    Looking forward to more details and pics!
    Congrats!

14. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Congrats Scott!!
    Welcome in the Mondial world!!

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you are happy with what you paid then you may have bought well. Always let someone else fix and pay before you and it sounds like that was done, good for you.

16. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Hmmm....Those don't look like 82 bumpers, either......nice update.

17. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Black rubber ones painted red

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yeah, i kinda of felt bad but i have been in the same spot. spent 3 times the value on a restoration and lost my shirt. cavet emptor, alot has been done. the engine currently has only 4k on the clock since it was redone. so i have meny miles of smiles before it needs the big updates.

pics this evening....

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Dig the alloys & painted bumpadeebumps

...for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health - whoops, wrong ceremony

Congratulations, Scott

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Congrats, Mondials are great cars. FYI, Mondials never has points.

Birdman

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #21 Scaledetails, Oct 4, 2005

Congrats Scott!!! You just bought my ex-Mondial 8, my first Ferrari!!! I used to own that car about 6 years ago and sold it to a guy in California through Ebay, I remember adding those wheels and that club sticker on the window is a dead giveaway!! I also had my local paint guy update the bumpers to match the red body.
    I bought it from a guy in Ft lauderdale, Florida and drove it 700 miles home, without a problem. I spent some money on it and drove it for a year, and I loved it but I sold it to get into my first 348. I do remember the car had some rust issues but the owner said he was going to have the car restored correctly so I know you have a great Mondial. I still have some pictures of it from when I sold it, here they are, feel free to call me if you need more info,

Stephane
    Scaledetails.com

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    i will say it again - that is a great looking car. I think the wheels add a lot. You will, too, when you do not have to buy the TRX metric tires the original rims require. :)

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #23 smg2, Oct 5, 2005
    here she is, tonight.
    i looked for rust and could not find any, so i would assume that it was repaired. i have a binder over an inch thick with all the work done. great handling and decent power. according to the prevouis owner the neihgbor he bought it from let his 17yr old son drive the car and he moneyshifted the motor, he aquired the car replaced the motor and went on to replace many other parts.
    72k on the odo.

24. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Those red bumpers look great!! Gonna think of it...................