82 Mondial 8 tires and rims suggestion | FerrariChat

82 Mondial 8 tires and rims suggestion

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by beethovenchow, Mar 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beethovenchow

beethovenchow Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    the size of the tires are 240/55VR390. I have a hard time to find them since they are "vintage tires". I am actaully thinking to change all the rims in order to solve the problem for finding vintage tires. Any suggestions on what size of the rims that I should buy for my car without changing a whole lot of stuffs?

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

235/50-16 on Ferrari 16"x7" rims, don't know about the bolt pattern, but maybe a 308 wheel/tire combo would fit. 16 x 8 is also available, but, don't know about clearance in the wheel wells.

the 390's are a 15.25" rim, approx, right? So, I would think 16" would be possible

The folks at TireRack.com are very good at this stuff, and so is Mike Elliot at Superpreformance.com. He has the 308 style wheels listed on his site.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Mondials work fine with 16 or 17 inch rims, and all Mondials have different offsets than their 308 little brothers.
    So,
    1. You can get a set of 16 inch rims from a Mondial 3.2 ot Mondial t (or a 328 with ABS). The stock sizes were 205.55 front and 225/55 rear, although you have LOTS of room to up size.
    The 16" qv wheels will bolt on, but the offset is different than stock and the scrub radius will be much increased, increasing bump steer and steering effort. That being said, it's been done (see picture of Mondial with 16" qv wheels below).

2. If you go aftermarket, would recommend 17". That's what I did. Better handling and improves the looks dramatically to have a bigger wheel on the longer wheelbase Mondials. I chose Speedlines (7.5 and 8.5 inch wide) and am now using 225/50 front and 245/45 rear Michelins.
    As a source would look at www.GaRedcars.com at their Ferrari section - I think it is the 2400M that would look the best - much like a 288 GTO wheel and very Ferrari. IN THEORY, a 348 17" wheel would fit as well, but have not seen it on an 8, but have seen them on 3.2s and t's.

Let me know if I can help.
    best
    Russ

Pictures: Mondial 3.2 (red) with 16" qv wheels; Mondial 3.2 (black) with 17" speedlines;2400SM from GaRedCars (small image)

4. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=141511&sessionkey={7BA765EA-5833-4811-B788-CBD10BAF1731}

5. beethovenchow

beethovenchow Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    I am wondering if the below size of rims and tires would fit my 82 MONDIAL 8.

Rim size: 17x7.5

The wheels takes standard tires
    215/45/17

However, my mechanic told me not to buy rims more than 15 inches, I am quite confuse here?????
    Any one can help????

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    15", 16" amd 17" wheels all work fine with the right offset. Would go with 16 or 17 if possible. Speedline (Ferrari OEM) recommends 17X7.5 " for the front and 17X8.5 inch for the rear - this is what is on mine.
    Have seen several Mondial 8s with 17 inch rims.
    Just calculate your diameter and match.
    I ran 215/50 - 17 on my Mondial fronts no problem. 215/45 is pretty low.

Attached is a picture of a Mondial 8 with 17" Speedline 3 piece wheels.

good luck.
    rt

7. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

If you are a purist and prefer to retain the OE wheels, I suggest Coker Tire for exact TRX replacements

8. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I want to keep originals on my car...but even Coker can't get them! I got decent used ones from t rutlands for 50 each.
    Anyway, here is a pic of a early model with the later wheels:

9. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    16" rims with correct offset will fit no problem on your Mondial. I had a set of 16" Etoile's on my '84 Mondial Cab. Sold the rims last month. But, I am very curious as to why your mechanic said don't go bigger than 15". There were not any issues at all when I had the 16" on my car. Also, as you can see from various posts here, a number of owners have used a variety of different combinations.

10. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    I AM ALSO IN THE PROCESS OF LOOKING FOR WHEELS FOR MY 85. INSTEAD OF HUNTING ALL OVER THE INTERNET, CAN YOU GUYS THROW SOME AVG PRICES OF WHEELS THAT YOU PAID ON THIS POST.
    THANKS
    DAVID

11. beethovenchow

beethovenchow Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks for the great info, guys!

By the way, what speed rating of the tires that you are using on your mondials?

12. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #12 theunissenguido, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have seen some wheels on Ebay for sale.Size of wheels is 7.00"J X 16" coming from 328/308 GTS. Are those wheels matching on a Mondial QV 82 ? Need spacers or other bolts ? The current bid is 500 £. The tires have only 700 miles, message from owner. Whats the value aprox.? The brakes on the mondial are Fixed type/2 cylinders ATE S48 front and ATE MC1-38 rear.
    Thanks, Guido
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Those appear to be the non-ABS 328/308 wheel and do not have the same offsets as a Mondial. While they will bolt up and have clearence, they will sit out about 1" or so more than stock. A later ABS 328 wheel will fit all Mondials.
    Shame, as those are nice wheels.
    best
    rt

14. hadiyam

hadiyam Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    I just bought 348 rims for my 1986 328gts. I just took the rear tire off and it doesn't seem to working... Am I able to put them on? PLEASE help!

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Your early 328 probably has the 11 mm pre-ABS offsets not really compatable with the 348 wheel which has much larger 'ABS' offsets.
    You will need to purchase a set of spacers to push the wheel out more for it to fit well.
    I think several FerrariChat sponsors sell these.
    Good luck!

16. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OK, I'm a sucker for a good sales pitch, and I bought these on EBAY today for my 3.2 Mondial with the stock metric wheels. I'm not even sure how they will look or if they will even fit! My mechanic isn't even sure (Tony @ Modena Motors). He felt they may need spacers in the rear, and longer bolts if I can find them. I called Ferrari San Francisco and talked to the mechanic and he wasn't sure, either. My tire shop will help me see if they fit. If they don't I will have to resell them.

Any advice on if these tires will work? It sounds like there is a lot of expertise on this thread. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the sales pitch on EBAY:
    "Ferrari 360 wheels and Pirelli PZero tires, New Car take offs in nearly new condition. Frankly, hard to tell from new. Ferrari tire stems and Pirelli Pzero Tires mounted and balanced. With BUY IT NOW I will include the Ferrari Center Caps. Wheels are 18x10 rear and 18x7.5 front with 274/40 and 215/24 tires. Wheels will fit 355, 348, 328, 308 and Mondial. May also fit Testarossa."

To fit 308 or pre 88.5 328 spacers will be needed. But, as you can see from the photos, its worth the effort!

New, these wheels cost over $3000, tires another $1000 plus the cost of the Center Caps. Thus, these are 1/2 the price of new replacement.

NEWSFLASH FOR MONDIAL OWNERS! THESE WHEELS FIT PERFECTLY TO YOUR MONDIAL! TOTALLY TRANFORMS THE CAR! NO SPACERS AND PLENTY OF CLEARANCE! MAKE YOUR MONDIAL THE SPORTING CAR IT WAS MEANT TO BE! HANDLING IS DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED AND STEERING EFFORT IS REDUCED TREMENDOUSLY.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    All Mondials basically have the same offsets which are also about the same as the 348/355. The 360 wheels will fit your 3.2 car just as they fit the qv shown in the picture. Would not think you would need different bolts.
    They are correct that the difference between the newer technology tires and the metric Michelins will transform the car's handling (as any newer tech tire will), and how much is amazing, even startling. A little skeptical on the reducing steering effort claim, though.
    Good luck!
    Post pictures!!
    Enquiring minds want to know!

18. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the advice. The offsets are the same for the 355. How about the 360? I talked to a Mondial owner who had 355 wheels at the 360 Challenge race at Infineon Raceway last month, and he had to use spacers in the rear and longer bolts. I should have the wheels in two weeks. I will let you know then, with photos.

19. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.

Hi Norm,

Here is a photo of the rims that I got from you last month, I took them apart , had 5 mm machined off of the center of the front rims to get them under the lip of the fender a bit. Then I sandblasted and powercoated them and added some new rubber. It is so nice to get rid of the TRX's.

All the best,

Chris

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Very nice looking car. What tire type and sizes did you settle on, and how do you characterize them?
    best
    rt

21. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just added 360 wheels and tires to my 1986 3.2 Mondial. You can read about it on the following thread.

FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > Modern (355/456/550 & Later) Anyone nearby want a set of 360 rims+rubber?

I posted on May 29, 2004.

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    To the point:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7987

This is a great post for Mondial owners to see a set of 18" 360 wheels on a Mondial - which would fit similarly on all Mondials as we all have about the same suspension and offsets for both ABS and non-ABS.

Great post
    rt

23. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    Take notice, I am another early Mondial owner with old TRX tires. I am actively pursuing alternative wheels, has anyone tried 355 wheels>?

24. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have not tried 355 wheels on my Mondial but was told by a supplier that it is a fairly "common" change to the car. I have seen a photo and was very impressed.

25. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi.

We have metric TRX 240/55 VR 415 in stock...any good ?