812 VS Rumors | Page 89 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Of the F12

2. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Ferrari will often use the VS to try our new electronic nannies and whatnot that will be found on the successors, but typically don’t bring out a new powertrain until the following model. For example, the TFD introduced 4 wheel steer which was then found in the 812. IIRC the Scuderia and Speciale introduced new versions of the e-diff in SSC 2 & 3 (or whatever they call it) that made it into the 458 and 488.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

stavura, LVP488, 456-boy and 2 others like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    F12TdF only 38 hp and 10 lbs torque so not really significant against 731 hp. The 812s has higher bump.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The TDF also has different gearing and supposedly something like 250lbs less weight. It feels it.

Bundy likes this.
  5. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #2206 gzachary, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    I am dreading rehashing an old topic in other threads. But....the TdF does not feel like an F12 with just additional HP and torque, gearing change, and some suspension changes. It is by far the most exciting car I have ever driven. I have been actively driving mine since May. I now have put on some miles and that makes me happy. It feels totally different than an F12 I drove. For me, it is the most exciting Ferrari I have ever driven (on the road car side).

Engine response is different. It adds more rpm/second than the F12. The steering is way quicker and lighter. It's bolts like a bat out of hell. It is more visceral and a beast. The F12 is powerhouse but feels relatively tame. I did write a comparison to the 812 in another thread.

It almost feels like it is becoming an intentional product/customer segment exercise. The 812 has a much wider customer range because it is designed to accomodate a wider range of driving skill. The F12 is narrower than the 812. And the TdF is way way narrower. The amount of energy to drive the cars are inverse as well. This is either good and/or bad based on what your driving purpose is that day.

I still have my 458. I do not have a 458 Speciale. I have driven my friends 458 Speciale. It was fantastic in handling. Very sharp. The difference between the 458 and the Speciale was real but incremental. The TdF and F12 experience is quite wide. Of course, this is my personal experience.

For myself, the difference in experience in the two 458's wouldn't justify owning both. I have never driven either of the 599s. I wonder what the experience difference is there. I could see owning both the F12 and TdF. But...I own an 812 so for me I prefer that to the F12 in terms of its function.

In terms of driving experience, the 812 VS compared to the standard 812 could be incremental or quite wide. It will be hard to tell until it is finally announced and driven publicly.

I love these cars Ferrari produces because they have a great driving experience. Just matters what kind you want. And for what purpose. Short trip. Long trip. An exciting run in the hills. Track. Sitting in a garage with the occasional drive.

There are performance numbers and driving experience. The Pista is slightly quicker than the TdF. The 812's power is easier to apply than the TdF and thus it is easier for most people to get better performance. But I still get the most excitement from driving the TdF.

The VS could "only" have 40 more HP than the current 812. But it could be unbelievably exciting to drive. And that's great news for all of us.

6. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    The EU has legislation that will monitor your speed and by using the onboard gps will be able to limit your speed if you exceed the speed limit. If you think GPF or exhaust noise limitation will temper your desire for a high performance car picture a Ferrari where the government controls your gas pedal. This is the golden age but will not last long.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The point about the hp was to point out that the phrase "high horsepower version" is not accurate in the context of 38 hp . As you point out, the difference between the two F12's has nothing to do with horsepower which was the point. ;)

gzachary likes this.
  8. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    My error in mid-reading the point in the thread. Sorry about making more of it than necessary.

9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I basically agree but I heard they are moderating this in the next few years. However, long run, I think you are correct.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Anyw
    Anyway it wasn't my point too. I just wanted to say that VS version have a slightly more powerful version of the current engine, not a new engine showcasing the next model.

11. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Well said !

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  12. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Long term these are not good things - but they will take a very long time. The speed limit can be over-ridden by the user. Just like stop-start can be switched of. Will be a very long time before these are remotely controlled - if ever.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Can't wait to know more. Grazie.

456-boy likes this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    There are no thoughts of doing that. The so-called speed limiter plan is a defeatable device that warns when you are above a certain speed, it is already included on 2020 model Ferraris in Europe and it is not so bad. Eventually, there will be a signal also through the throttle (a kind of vibration), which doesn’t sound fun, but is still defeatable. It is very difficult to see them limit physical speed because of the many safety implications. The only way I could imagine that happening is perhaps in certain, high density areas or perhaps outside schools. But really, the thought here is different; ban the car altogether.

15. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #2217 day355, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    The drive experience of the 812 VS ll be much more intense than the TDF and you ll be shocked !!!
    Not easy like an SF 90 and much more rewarding if you have good piloting. Very very impressive...
    I hope you ll drive it as much as possible. Not a garage queen please, it ll be so sad

stavura, gzachary, Albert-LP and 18 others like this.
  16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Please tell us more...will the reveal be this year?

17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    It was the plan before the covid, still possible

of2worlds and JTSE30 like this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! Can't wait to learn more!

Lagunae92 likes this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Will this car be the swansong of the V12 front engined Ferrari ?
    If so it's value in the future will only be growing .

20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    812 is still in production, to early to answer

456-boy and of2worlds like this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    well if you change your name from 'day355' to 'day812VS' we will know this new model IS truly Speciale! ;)

Jonathan19, 456-boy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. 599freak

599freak Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Anybody know if there will be a Convertible/GTS Version of the VS? I know the TDF was coupe only but then F12 was always a Coupe bodystyle as well.

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Day, I'm very pleased (like everyone else here) to read your post and updates: it looks even like you are a Ferrari test driver or an his relative!

Ciao

9nb, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.