812 Superfast any problems ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

812 Superfast any problems ?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Gianfranco341, Jan 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Doing 75 and it feels like 35.

R J and mclaren slr like this.
  2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Were you moving? Foot on brake? Wheels turned? You might take it to the dealer to see if any transmission codes have occurred or perhaps the rear steer.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Yes moving in 1st gear (manual) but without touching the gas or brake. Wheels straight.
    Will probably pass by the dealer next week to see if any codes popped up. To be fair it always does exactly what it does when driving hard, but same as in my Lusso, it's always a bit...dunno how to say this...clunky in (very) slow city traffic. Bit like my old M3 CSL!
    My thinking is it is probably some glitch in the software, all be it a dangerous one!

4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Bes
    Forgot to ask which manettino setting was being used?

5. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Sport. I only drive in race when in the hills/mountains, even on autobahn I tend to use sport.

6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    For easy city driving maybe try wet, otherwise might just leave it in race...let us know if the dealer finds any codes...

of2worlds likes this.
  7. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    No mechanical problems....although the biggest issue is the speedometer must be off...it feels like I’m doing 40 when the speedometer reads 90....must be a calibration issue;)

italiafan and 430jm like this.
  8. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    P Zeros are terrible.

Gh21631, R J, ryalex and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    this happened to me many times when I rented FF in Europe, especially on the turn or slightly up hill 1st gear, however on my 812 I experience this only once but very minor jerk nothing major jerk like the FF , and yes somehow I am also more on wet and race mode nowadays skipping the sport for ride quality reason that suits the road surface in Thailand, somehow with race and bumpy road it feels smoother and less bouncy than sports and bumpy, so i am on race combo most of the time and don't experience the jerk in it yet

JTSE30 and of2worlds like this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Why? I like PZeros better.

REALZEUS likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think Frank tracks his car?

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I like em better there too. Ran both them and MPSS, I think the grip on the Pzeros is great.

I should also say that the Pzeros had a formulation change a few years back that improved the grip.

Gianfranco341, REALZEUS and of2worlds like this.
  13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #88 Frank_C, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2020
    The P zeros don't heat well, are loud and are prone to vibration.

A lot of the mechanics on (and off) the track will tell you the same thing - tread too deep, they don't handle heat well at all and they drop off quickly. They lasted me 3 total track days. I had to put the 812 on the trailer and go back to back sessions with my son the following day in my GT3 RS (see below). With my RS' Cup 2s at least once the performance dropped you could still drive it home.

I put the PZC4 Corsas on my car, which handled the heat much better - only had to bleed them once and then maintained pressures well. The Zeros had to be bled multiple times and were still mercurial during each session. They kept on ballooning and you could literally feel the tarmac just grate the rubber off the tires - in essence you are driving on 225s instead of 275s - notice the center damage with clean outer tread.

I live in the country where the roads have varying levels abrasiveness (even within the same county) due to maintenance from different local precincts. I've found the Zeros tend to be a loud(er) tire in general, which IIRC has been a Pirelli trait over the years - had them in my '13 911 S.

Also, I previously had a vibration in my F12 in the passenger seat at 2300 mi. Called FoH, my service guy didn't even hesitate over the phone and said it's probably the tires. Replaced them and vibration went away- so a common issue.

The original P Zeros on my 812 didn't last 900 mi so I can't comment on vibration with it. Unfortunately, I now have the same tire induced passenger seat vibration after one track day (220.1 mi).

Now YMMV. If you just drive back and forth to the CC you may think the Zeros are the best thing since sliced bread. But if you drive the car as it was meant to be driven, they ain't all that and a bag of chips....

The 812 is an absolutely incredible car to drive. It puts a smile on my face every time I go into my garage and an internal smile every time I think of my car, it is that good. The last true Ferrari road car - a N/A V12 up front with a roof on top (i spider sono solo per i playboy americani), which you can drive to the track, race it and drive home. Is there anything wrong with the car? No, absolutely nothing.......ok stereo sucks....

Is there truly a good tire? Don't know, this is a heavy car, with a lot of horsepower, the ability to go fast in turns and brake hard from high speed.........

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. fastlane lp640

Dec 27, 2009
    So Cal
    The tires are crap but I think it is a lot of power with out weight on the back. I can’t ever floor it of the line or up to 40 mph with out smoking the tires. Now that I have 2000 miles I am putting on Nitto N05R drag radials in the back and matching Nitto N05 regular fronts that should solve my problem

15. Matt L

Matt L Karting

Oct 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Did the dealer sort this out? I’ve recently bought a 2019 812 and the bumpy road does absolutely nothing for my car either.
    Also, the cabin noise is very loud when cruising, recently measured 82 decibels at 80 miles an hour. Some here say it’s very quiet when cruising, mine is very loud. Guess I need to take it in for them to look at?

16. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Maybe your exhaust valves are pinned open? IIRC, the valves are normally closed under about 4,000 rpm.

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Road noise from different road surfaces makes a massive difference to cabin noise.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Well, thought I saw everything, but nothing like this. After 2 year wait, it finally arrived. Hasn't been 3 months since taking my delivery and now while driving up the drawbridge, the car just turned off..........YES..............the whole thing, electronics, steering, engine. Not even hazard lights were turning on as the car rolled up the bridge and got stuck right at the top of it. After nearly getting hit by several flyby cars, I had to open the door to wave for people to go around.....nowhere to run or hide on the bridge. Several minutes later, the electronics turned back on, but couple of minutes after, the car magically turned back on. Slowly crawled into the garage, luckily a block away, and have not seen it since flatbed picked it up. Been at the dealer for 2 weeks now with no calls or communication from Ferrari of North America. The only communication received is that North America recommends to replace the battery, suggesting a bad cell. Heard of nearly everything, but bad battery cell leading to a complete shutdown while driving? That is certainly the first. Glad it didn't happen on the highway and at night.....That would be tragic...... Quite concerned here.........

19. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Loose battery connection? Seems like something wrong with the battery or it’s connections for everything to just shut off

klinkman and RamsHmb like this.
  20. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    All Ferrari V12 batteries were made by Lucas in a past life.

Great light show though………

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. rjwheels

rjwheels Rookie

Oct 24, 2021
    London UK
    Just noticed your post and had same problem at around 160mph/260kph in Germany....had to use windscreen wash wipe to shift them back. When I got back to UK I checked the wipers parked position, compared to other 812's at the Dealership, and found they were parking slightly above the bonnet line and therefore catching more air.... so they were refitted a notch or two down. Seem ok now.

350MH83 likes this.
  22. rjwheels

rjwheels Rookie

Oct 24, 2021
    London UK
    Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had problems with the 812 SF fuel injection system.

I’ve covered over 12k miles in the last 12 months and the car is now showing 23.5k miles at 3rd birthday this week.

It’s also been celebrating Christmas and its 3rd birthday in the Ferrari workshop awaiting RHB High Pressure Fuel Pump from the factory, hopefully sometime in January !

This follows the replacement of RHB Fuel Rail (and battery) at 15.5k miles and RHB Fuel Rail AGAIN at 19.1k miles.

Each of the above problems were preceded by the usual array/sequence of warning lights on the dash, which I have concluded do not indicate the nature of any problem you may have….just that you have a problem and need to get to the workshop asap.

Am I just unlucky here or have others had similar issues ?…… maybe if I don’t drive it so much all will be fine

ryalex likes this.
  23. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I have the same number of miles in just under 2.5 years, and I have not had any fuel system issues. I have had to replace the battery 2 times, and the oil solenoids on top of the intake plenum had to have the plate and gasket replaced. Otherwise it's been a pretty problem free car for me.

Not driving as much will just cause other problems, or delay the inevitable failure. I don't think that's a good solution to the problem.

day355 likes this.
  24. rjwheels

rjwheels Rookie

Oct 24, 2021
    London UK
    That's good to hear after similar miles, hope it stays that way....forgot to mention, the workshop also identified the same gasket replacement will be required when they get round to working on the car.......that and the Brake cap & software recall work.

Agree putting on the miles is still the best option, otherwise where's the fun.

25. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Mine has been absolutely bomb proof