812 Superfast any problems ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

812 Superfast any problems ?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Gianfranco341, Jan 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have noticed an issue when in 2nd gear at about 4000rpm I stomp on the gas and shift near red-line and repeat again in 3rd gear...then I **** my pants.
    Weird.
    :(

2. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    I previously mentioned that mine has a fast vibration/resonation at certain revs. And it sounded like it was coming from the front. Over time, the volume of that sounds - it was really loud - has dropped. It is now clear that it is coming from the back (and must have previously just been reflecting off the windscreen/dash). It is not the parcel shelf. I removed that completely and the noise is still there. Possible left side speaker? But sometimes sounds further back and was a little clearer when parcel shelf removed.

the car is going in for annual service today so perhaps I will find the answer, in which case I will post here. Or more likely will be told “we couldn’t replicate the sound so haven’t done anything”.

3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So my 812 will be at the shop on Tues. Mine is not hard to duplicate. It’s noisy all the time. I think it’s either a rattle in the passenger rear speaker or the passenger seat (the latch mechanism perhaps). I am confident that they’ll be able to source the problem and provide an appropriate remedy. I had a similar noise in the dash of my Performante and the shop was able to resolve that problem. I will update as I have more info.

Good luck on your repair. I am sure it will work out in the end.

R J likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Quick update on my noise. Turns out it was the passenger seat belt mechanism. The entire apparatus is being replaced. Should have the car back this week. I’m quite relieved. It was a little discouraging, but it looks like will all work out in the end.

R J and Gianfranco341 like this.
  5. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    That’s good news. Glad you resolved.
    Update (sort of) on mine: The loose sounding rattle at low speeds emanating from the front right side of dash or possible the front part of the right side door, appears to be resolved (well it is 85% better). Located and fixed by dealer at first service. Don’t yet know what they found as the report seemed to miss a few words - see below:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I will call them on Tuesday to find out what it was a report back.

There is still a very minor rattle on the bumpiest bits of UK roads - but might be something else.

They were not able to identify what is (or perhaps was) causing giant mosquito sounding resonance. However, this weekend, when giving the car a short 60 mile test run following its first service to see if all ok, I noticed that a plastic cover on the right side, inside the rear hatch was loose. See photo below:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The loose bit is the smaller plastic square within the rectangular plastic piece.

I used a very small piece of paper to stop that square part vibrating. And, at least on yesterday’s drive, no mosquito harmonics at the usual 3,900 rpm. Or any where else in the rev range.

More testing required, but seems - based only on yesterday’s evidence - like that might have been it. Will have to wait and see.

6. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Just had my first electronic niggle in the 812. On a boring stretch of highway I wanted to listen to a podcast, but no sound. Not in media, radio, phone etc. Volume control wasn't working, I could only mute it or switch it on again but no volume scrolling. Talked to dealer who (of course!) advised me to "switch the car off and on again". That didn't do the trick but a direct contact at Ferrari told me to let the car rest for 15min which apparently causes a BUS reset. That worked perfectly fine.

Second problem I had was a bit odd really. I was at my house at the Nordschleife which has a bit of a steep road leading to it. After arriving there I needed to go to the shop so drove down with still fuel in the tank (two blocks indicated). However, the engine died on me 3 times on the way down, seemed like fuel starvation as once I was down it didn't do that anymore. Not sure how the fueltank is designed but seems a bit odd with still 2 blocks indicated (which admittedly is not getting you far in a Ferrrari V12).

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Both issues likely typical electronics/software related. Reset of ECUs for crappy software a standard feature as well as electronic fuel gauge inaccuracy. Keep on a good battery tender and replacement schedule and look for top-off anytime below 1/2 tank (you don't want to run theses cars dry off anything). Niggles are no cost options. :)

8. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Glad you were able to find it. I have a rattle that I thought was coming from the removable trunk cover. I took it out and it’s still there. Sounds almost like one of the locking pins for the cover is vibrating but having it happen w the cover out clearly means it’s coming from somewhere else. I will check this piece. Only annoying noise...I have a GTS on the way so not much longer but I would like to address before the new owner takes over.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    Try looking at your license plate screws. I had a similar problem when I had a TDF and it turned out to be one of the license plate screws popped off.

RamsHmb likes this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Speaking of problems; is that a restored black Enzo that led a hard life in it's past?;)

11. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    Sold the Enzo last year and upgraded. Enzo was an amazing raw car.

Bas and of2worlds like this.
  12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Seat rattle and squeak. GTS will have bucket seat.
    Also, squeak from cockpit. Plastic cover over two side screen next to rev counter makes alot of noise.
    I wouldn't fix the whole thing rather sold the car since it needed to fix oil leak too.
    It was a good fun to own and drive one for sure. One of best.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    My DRS/Rear Flaps won’t activate. Either dashboard Indicator light is faulty or the system is not working. Car is brand new. Anyone else experience this?

14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Quick follow up. Received the car back this week and the noise is completely resolved. I’m quite satisfied. I wish I would have just had it taken care of sooner.

R J and of2worlds like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Whoops...I should described the source of the noise. Turns out it was a defective passenger seat belt mechanism. The entire apparatus had to be replaced. Fortunately, they were able to source a part from another Ferrari dealership, otherwise who knows how long it might have taken. All is well that ends well.

of2worlds, R J and KenU like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Harvested from an exiting car?

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    No. The dealer they sourced the part from in NJ actually had it sitting on their shelf. I consider myself very fortunate.

of2worlds and Solid State like this.
  18. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Very good news. And very lucky. Sadly, my 812 is back to making some noises - the harmonic buzz at 3,900 rpm is back. The best solution is to exceed 3,900 rpm as quickly as possible. It is clearly an “engine speed too low” warning sound.

Napoli, Cnoordz, Adamas and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Probably not an everyday problem for most, but my wipers went vertical as from 325kmh with some hefty headwind. Was a bit surprised as I did 345kmh a few days earlier hence headwind does a lot. Despite that it continued to 351kmh before I hit traffic.
    Switching the wipers on and off fixed it so no issue. I actually experienced the same on my Lusso.

ScottS and of2worlds like this.
  20. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ve had mine for a week and my bumpy road button does nothing. Ride is harsh either way. I also have a 488 that rides much better. Hopefully the dealer will dig deep to figure out my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I notice a huge difference so clearly something off. Hopefully a sw refresh gets you going.

22. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I hope you are right about that. It’s very disappointing to spend soo much money and have the dealer tell you it just needs to be broken in when clearly the bumpy road button does nothing. Going to give them one more chance next week to resolve this. I do appreciate you giving me some hope that my dream of owning a v12 Ferrari is worthwhile.

23. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Anyone experience this?

24. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    What did the dealer say? It should activate around 65mph in the 812. Have someone drive behind you when you go above that speed. They should see the rear diffuser drop . That way you will know if it’s the entire system or just the indicator light that reads DRS in the far left screen.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Something odd today. Queuing up to a roundabout in manual 1st gear. Suddenly a massive short jerk, at first I thought someone rear-ended me. Could have been a bit disastrous whilst parking or queuing up closely to a car in front of me. I'm at 7.5k kms now but this never happened to me before, very odd!