812 Replacement Rumors | Page 6 | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Ok. So here’s the scoop. I have a GtS and it sounds perfect for the car. It is not loud but loud enough with a nice growl. My 360 with Capristo exhaust and stock F430 definitely were louder.
    This car has a dual personality. Drive it gently and it may as well be a lexus sedan, civilized and very comfortable. Drop a few gears and give it throttle and it turns into a mad beast.
    I for one plan to drive this car for many many years on long drives in California, BC, Quebec, Vermont and anywhere else that’s twisty with great scenery. I don’t need the drone of a super loud car while driving for 6 hours down the coast. This is a GT car not some hellishly loud mustang. I am not thrilled that Ferrari fitted the GPF to North American cars when they didn’t have to, but this car is magic and makes a hell of a lot more noise than a f8 or sf90 not to mention what’s coming soon. 3 years from now everyone will miss the sound of the GTS. Wait until Eu7. Lastly if you want your GtS to sound like a monster there are lots of solutions. Cheers!

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Loud is not the issue like it is in the F8 which is both turbo and GPF. In the 812C you can hear the high revving NA V12 for sure but its through a giant coffee can thus the "deeper" sound. Absolutely ruins the NA sound. You can very easily hear the restrictive volume of the GPF filtering out the raw sound we enjoy in the F12 and 812sf (non-GPF). There is no denying it in my mind.

Ferrari stated spending a whole lot of time re-working the sound due to the GPF and that's as good as its going to get. My bet is they will re-do the intake/combustion to get it back if they keep the NA V12. I also believe they already have at least one version of that engine running it right now. Just have to stay ahead of the evil Euro standards if they don't want to be market dependent. When the non-GPF NA V12 comes out the popularity of the GPF cars out now will likely be impacted. For as long as I can remember Ferrari's biggest differentiator has been the sound.

3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    What do you mean, when the non-GPF NA V12 comes out?

Where did you hear the new V12 will not require GPF?

If that is what you heard it could only mean that V12 includes Port Injection for at least part of its combustion, maybe all of it. That would be very curious but also very good, except, of course, for the more restrictive EU "noise" regulations that will be in-force when any new model using that engine is released (i.e. requiring the exhaust to literally be quieter under all conditions).

4. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    i bet you are an owner of an f12 and not a 812 GTS.. :)

5. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    It is exactly what I think . I own a 812 SF with GPF ( before I had a F12) and I don’t have any concern related to exhaust sound . It is great and it is more than ok if you drive it for some hours continuously . My concern is related to long term reliability : I don’t like any obstruction on the exhaust and even worse to lean the engine to heat up GPF . If I will keep it I think I will change the exhaust system with 200 cells cat after warranty period just because I’m worried about reliability and not for sound issue .

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Indeed. Must look as good as it sounds for +$400K. That said the 599GTO is the king of sound IMO. Not as fast or as great looking but the music is intoxicating.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's just my thoughts or hope perhaps. Solidly within their capability. GPF only needed for DI setups. If the evil EU regulations require such low "noise" and Ferrari conforms in all markets then the GPF makes perfect sense. It indeed muffles the sound in all conditions. Bad news for new car enthusiasts but I guess good news for F12/812 owners out there. Unrestricted and unassisted NA V12 a must for any collection IMO.

8. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    As has been stated Ferrari has achieved the lofty horsepower numbers for it V12 using DI while port injection has hit its ceiling as seen with Lamborghini. Unless the engineers can pull a rabbit out of a hat we are stuck with GPF. Of the choices out there I’ll take the higher HP NA V12 despite its need for GPF.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

F2003-GA and SecretSquirrari like this.
  9. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    So what about the pre-chamber combustion isn't this said to have a cleaner combustion? Is this still considered DI?

10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    812 replacement will be NA V 12
    Purosangue will be NA V 12, and even if I don't like the concept, I find the design very classic and rather successful.

11. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Can you confirm if the 812 replacement will be Front Mid-Engine or Rear Mid-Engine? Also thank you for the continuous reliable information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

456-boy likes this.
  12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I'm sorry, not another word while the 812s are in production...

13. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Fair enough, thanks for the info thus far. Glad you seem to like the Purosangue design, a good indicator of what’s to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    When I was researching the 812 GPFs, I recall there are differences in GPF implementations. Some have a lean cycle to generate higher EGT to “clean” the GPF and some don’t. I got information from a knowledgeable ECU tuner that led me to believe the 812 implementation does not have such cycle.

Does anyone know more?

15. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    new v12 engine or the same current one?

Doug23 likes this.
  16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    @day355 previously indicated reveal end of 2023 and new engine

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147962711/

For those who would not be in good spirits looking at the 296 and who could not get an order form for the 812 Competizione, I give you good news.
    The replacement for the 812 will be NA V12, so no hybridization.
    Ferrari will always live in this section, the other being reserved for i-Ferraris from now on;).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147962744/

End of 2023

9nb, italiafan and JagShergill like this.
  17. 512tr1992

512tr1992 Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I' m sorry, but i do not see any reference to "new V12", just "NA V12". Do i miss something?

18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    F2003-GA likes this.
  19. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    engine moved to the back like in corvette?

F2003-GA likes this.
  20. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    When do these new noise restrictions actually go into effect? A couple years ago I was under the impression that by 2021 we would already be in the era of 75 db cars. But here we are and the 812C, Aventador, Huracan, GT3 etc... are all still screaming at well >100 dbs. Even the comparably quiet SF90 and Roma are hitting 105 dbs and based on the videos I’ve seen the 296 will sound better and be louder than both those cars.

So when does the era of nearly silent Ferraris actually begin? Or is there a loophole these exotic manufacturers are exploiting/fees they’re paying to keep making loud cars?

On that note, Ferrari better not be as lazy as they were with the GPF and produce a standard exhaust for all markets once these new restrictions kick in. I don’t think people realize just how quiet ~75 dbs is. If they force that on rest of the world, it would be extremely upsetting.

21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    The Purosangue will have a front V12 engine.
    Why they would do a Front engined V12 Gt next to it?
    I guess the V12 will be moved back ( speculation)

F2003-GA likes this.
  22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    But, FF/F12, GTC4Lusso/812, doesn't seem to matter

If eventual 812 successor is rear-mid-engine, I believe it would only be to make room for front wheel electric drive

23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #148 JTSE30, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    apparently already started:
    https://www.ferrari.com/en-GB/magazine/articles/ferrari-f8-tributo-inside-story?amp=true

and Ferrari is putting patented "hot tubes" in most if not all production to pipe intake sounds directly into the cabin...
    https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/296-gtb-defining-fun-drive

And I believe the noise regulations are not for every possible throttle position and speed, just specific ranges, an older link:

https://www.bksv.com/en/knowledge/blog/sound/vehicle-noise-testing

and, the mathematical version, the testing is not straightforward at all:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:42018X0798&from=IT

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    So mid rear it is :p

Doug23 likes this.
  25. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Honestly I don't really buy rumors. Until Ferrari announces a product we don't know what is going to be in it, things can change.

I would be really surprised if the SUV ends up having a V12. I think the V6 hybrid is 100x more likely to show up in an SUV than a V12.

elephantgrinds and Bas like this.