812 Replacement Rumors | Page 5 | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Actually the lift control on the Mac is via a "stalk" on the column. Mac's super clean steering wheel (zero buttons etc) is very appealing and IMO Macs have the ultimate drivers seating position - just perfect

Bundy likes this.
  2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    From this link:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/10/the-mclaren-570s-entry-level-means-compromises-even-for-legendary-automakers/2/

As with McLaren's other cars, a third stalk (in addition to the turn signals and windscreen wipers) is your controller for the multifunction display. It's also how you instruct the car to raise the front axle in order to negotiate speed bumps and parking ramps, a process that usually requires a few too many inputs. Down, down, down to find the lift option, then toward you to select it, then up to raise the car. Best to hope there's no queue of impatient cars behind, growing angry at the bright orange road-rocket that's holding up their day.

And, found this comment
    https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/great-expectations-does-mclarens-new-gt-live-its-name

And ergonomically, the GT is near perfect. It’s almost as easy as an iPhone to operate, one exception being the front-end lift, which is operated by a tiny stalk that’s obscured by the steering wheel.

Is the above accurate? It seems some cars have push button at the end of the tiny stalk instead.

Anyway, glad there is at least a non-touchscreen method (I watched a video of a 620R I think that said it could only be access via the touchpad, watch this video starting at 10m27second mark)

350MH83 and Shack like this.
  3. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Having had a few Macs - I can confirm its on the small "stalk" and is not difficult to use at all. The push button on the end of the stalk is used to "confirm" a setting on the menu system and the stalk is used to scroll through the menu's. Takes a bit of getting used to as they use pictures for the main menu items rather than text

Thecadster likes this.
  4. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    6.8 liter engine
    10k rpm
    900hp
    no hybrid
    no turbo
    :D

Bobby_P, ForeverCar and Thecadster like this.
  5. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Never understood why they out that in there as it is impossible to use when driving.

6. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I thought you didn’t see a difference in the gpf vs non gpf models when we were discussing this a year ago. When did you feel differently?

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #107 Marcel Massini, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    When I drove it.
    The sound is only good during the first 30 secs once you have started the motor. Thereafter it goes down so much you start scratching your head.
    And the stop/start function and all the other unnecessary gimmicks/ADAS are totally annoying. No sane person needs this stuff. This nonsense has been installed for 18 year old kids and to satisfy all the politicians, especially in Europe.

Marcel Massini

8. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I think yes.

ScrappyB likes this.
  9. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Agreed. Completely correct.

And there you have it folks………

Bundy, ScrappyB and Thecadster like this.
  10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yep…there you have it.

Bundy and gliazzurri like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree
    My next target is the SA…would love GTO as well.
    Marcel, good point about exhaust sound and it’s continual muting through the production line. TDF = 12 glorious angelic trumpets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantgrinds, Bundy, Eilig and 2 others like this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    How is one able to tell which 812’s are fitted with GPF? Is it listed somewhere on the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantgrinds likes this.
  13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    For USA, only 812GTS has GPF (all of them), all 812SF through MY2020 are without GPF.

That said, if you open the engine bonnet of a GTS you will find extra hoses at the intake (one for each side of the engine), that's your visual cue.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    GTS owners have commented on FChat that the car sounds great with a nice deep baritone sound.

15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just as sound is in the ear of the beholder.

elephantgrinds, Bundy, 430jm and 5 others like this.
  16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    well said my friend

Daytonafan and Bundy like this.
  17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Just checked the Lamborghini website for the specs on the new Ultimae. It only references catalytic converters under the emissions specifications. No GPFs it seems.

elephantgrinds and Thecadster like this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Because all Aventador V12s are Multi-Port Fuel Injection (MPI/MPFI/PFI)

only Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) motors need GPF ...

https://escholarship.org/uc/item/78d1w93b

Although GDI engines are knows to significantly improve fuel economy and lower greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) when compared to PFI engines, they produce higher PM emissions due to the direct spray of gasoline into the combustion chamber. This leads to locally rich, diffusion-governed liquid fuel combustion that creates more PM formation. Gasoline particulate filters (GPFs) are introduced as an effective strategy to reduce the tailpipe PM mass and the number of ultrafine particles under a range of driving conditions and at the same time meet California’s PM mass emission standards.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/en-gb/articles/passenger-cars/gasoline-particulate-filters/

19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    @JTSE30

Similar to McLaren then. I wonder if Ferrari engineers would have still pursued DI had they known their engines would one day be punished by an after treatment device that robs their engines of power, sound and reliability?

20. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Love your quote

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I think Ferrari championed GDI, more power, more fuel efficient, can go further on same amount of fuel during an F1 race...and you can use higher compression ratios, also associated with more power, look at the Aventador motor, try as they like, they just can't get it to 800PS (780PS is latest)...proof of the additional power GDI can provide... McLaren "choose" port injection, but only indirectly by going with late 80s F1 engine design as their base, if they had the funds 15 years or so ago they probably would of also gone with GDI...

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/direct_injection.html

The resulting increase in particulate emissions was not a concern at the time...but even if they realized it, I'm sure they would not of cared enough to change / use port injection

Solid State and ScrappyB like this.
  22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    The purity of the non-GPF 812SF vs an open top V12 (GTS). I couldn't resist the GTS and sold the 812SF. On a test drive to my ears the GTS was fantastic.

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Today at the 296 presentation near Paris the 12-cylinder range (I suppose that consists of the 812 GTS today) was completely ignored.
    The presented range (before the 296 "unveiling",litterally) was (as usually) divided in two categories:
    - GT cars: Roma and Portofino M
    - Sports cars: F8, SF90 and 296 (where the F8 implicitly confirms its status of stop-gap solution)
    There was a Monza on display though.

350MH83 likes this.
  24. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I also understand there is a filter you can see in the tailpipes.

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yet another special model from Lambo - Seems like both Ferrari and Lambo are stalling for Euro 7 before launching replacements

JTSE30 likes this.