812 Replacement Rumors | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s time to turn some attention to the potential replacement for the 812. Much has happened in the last couple years. The electrification of Ferrari is in full swing, a SUV is just beyond the horizon, and the strangling of ICE seems inevitable, if not complete. Most of us assumed that the 812 (plus the 812C and 812CA) would mark the end of the line for the front mid-engine normally aspirated V12 Ferrari. The burden of regulatory restrictions being insurmountable. Then our own @day355 drops this little nugget.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147962711/

On that basis, I think it appropriate to develop some additional dialogue on the likelihood that Ferrari might find a way to continue the traditional NA V12 with a true direct replacement to the 812.

MDEL, Soleith, IloveGT and 7 others like this.
  2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    This thread is a great idea, and it's the good moment to start it

One thing

Vocabulary is very important to not get confused

I urge members to use the following

N/A For no forced induction

Unassisted for no electric hybridation

I suggest "Pure V12" for not forced induction and no hybrid

3. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Well this is great news and really if you think about it ,not a big surprise. Several years ago I had read one of the big execs saying that they would build the V12 for as long as they possible could. He cited the fact that the V12 was Ferrari ,it was the engine of choice for Enzo when he founded the company and he said we feel it is up to us to continue in that tradition.

4. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    Definitely would love to see the V12 (naturally aspirated and unassisted) continue for as long as possible.

Whatever Ferrari puts such an engine in, I’m in.

5. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    What's the latest on European regulations--will they allow for a V12 or is this still up in the air? Would Ferrari make a car that is not sold in Europe?

elephantgrinds and Thecadster like this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    F2003-GA and Thecadster like this.
  7. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    No chance in hell the 812 replacement will have a normally aspirated large capacity V12. Fast coming legislation will force Ferrari to adopt a much smaller V12 with some form of hybrid and/or turbo assist.

Adam812, ScrappyB and Thecadster like this.
  8. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I would even be happy with a small V12 twin turbo engine. No electric please (unless the lightweight technology is ready).

9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Considering the popularity of the pista, it makes sense

I just fear a TT V12 won't be different enough from the TT V8

10. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I think there is a lot of speculation going on around what the next car will be. It would be great if they continued the tradition of an pure NA V12 but everything seems stacked against them. The V6 Ferrari is here with a similar amount of hp to an 812. I just don't see them having a V12 car in the normal lineup with all of the upcoming emissions regulations.

Adam812 and NZCREW like this.
  11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Aventador has done tremendously well with the V12 mounted rear mid - Ferrari need the same setup in the 812 replacement areal successor to 51TR

Bas, Napoli, red passion and 7 others like this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    For electric, there will never ever be "lightweight" battery technology, ever...you don't get something for nothing, to chemically store energy is going to require chemicals and they are heavy, no way around that.

Please, no turbos, just engine

13. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Of course, the lightest battery is the one that’s not in the car. :D

I, too, prefer a V12 with no supercharging of any kind or power assist from additional power plant. It’s always exciting to see how things develop. However it evolves, I plan on putting as many fun miles as I can on my 812SF.

Adam812 and JTSE30 like this.
  14. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    As I’ve stated before I would vote with my wallet for a rear mid V12- prefer the linearity of NA unassisted but if regs requires downsizing the power plant I could live with a 10K rpm spinner. These types of engines tend to have low torque numbers at lower revs so some light electric assist to level the torque curve would be welcome. A super capacitor would be lighter than batteries. As for turbo V12- loved it on my AMGSL65 but the sound was mediocre and fitting for that car but unacceptable for a Ferrari(see F8- blistering performance but sounds like an appliance) If anyone could make a great sounding linear turbocharged V12 it would be Ferrari- so let’s hope they can do it.
    Unfortunately their recent foray into turbocharging and assisted engines leads me to believe they will use nuclear level power to try and overcome our complaints about the sound. Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

F2003-GA likes this.
  15. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    We should trust him(@day355 )

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Of course, but 2+ years is a very long time, much can change that will affect the outcome.

17. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    V12 turbo not makes sense
    it will sounds as bad as V8 turbo
    it will be bigger and heavier than V8
    V12 must be NA or there should be no V12 at all

18. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Now with 2 mid-engined hybrid cars in the lineup, a mid-engined turbo V8, and an SUV, I can't help but think that the front engine V8 series is going to be the new Ferrari GT car. Hopefully, I'm wrong...

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    V-12 may have to be electric assist to meet Euro 7
    I highly doubt they can accomplish emissions without it

20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Euro7 rules (due for release in November) could have such restrictive NOX/other trace element emissions requirements as to render all ICE entirely moot...including all hybrids

ScrappyB likes this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Correct.
    Get used to it.
    It's over. Finito.

Marcel Massini

22. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    If Euro7 effectively torpedos the ICE, would Ferrari make cars for America's/Asia/Middle East? I would guess that there are enough cars to be sold outside of Europe that this would make sense to the company

elephantgrinds, Thecadster and JTSE30 like this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Imagine the costs to develop and build two totally different vehicles. This won't happen, I am sure.

Marcel Massini

mthompson2376 and F2003-GA like this.
  24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Turbo's muffle the sound and create lag Whereas electric assist cancels lag and you keep the sound if the ICE part is NA

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Why is Ferrari developing new generations of engines if new regulatory restrictions will ban them in the very short term?

BLUESL and Caeruleus11 like this.