812 Market Dynamics | Page 32 | FerrariChat

812 Market Dynamics

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 1881, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    Pricing update?

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    With people confined at home because of the virus and the economy almost stopped, Europe's car market is now freeze. Recently I had a look at the 812's SF and F12's B offered at Mobile and below I compiled a table with the number of cars for sale in the different price ranges.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK, LMH, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    As mentioned in many countries in Europe there are no possible transactions currently, so it would not make sense to offer new cars for sale nor to adjust prices.
    What will be interesting to monitor is how the market will evolve when activity resumes (some weeks / months from now); I guess initially there will be no movement (no price adjustments, resulting in no sales) and after a while there will be a new balance.
    For most cars the trend was already downwards before the virus and lockdowns, so my guess is that we'll see some significant slides.

MDEL likes this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Its only been a few weeks so the dealers aren't going to give anything away just yet. If this lasts for months or a year or so that's another story. I dont see much if anything changing in the short term.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    #780 hagen111, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Sure keep your money on the bank...and see what money is worth after this crisis....with governments creating a heap of new dough...

Currently plenty of good deals in the market and best cars are certainly still selling... Also note, best cars go to existing customers. Last 3 cars I bought, actually I got before even advertised.

Sure I will loose money on them, but it may in fact be less vs investing in stock market or devaluation of money on bank accounts. It actually makes sense to buy and own a Ferrari and pay premium for it...

MDEL and Timonous like this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have also had these thoughts but it depends entirely on how long this lasts as to how valuable a car will be. With mobility being constrained, cars are a lot less useful. Right now the dollar is the currency in demand because of so much dollar denominated debt in the world. If that a lot gets defaulted the the dollar is not as valuable.

Texas Forever and MDEL like this.
  7. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Absolutely right!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    This is worldwide correct? Well, it's been almost 8 months. Could you do an update? :)

9. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    **** show in the UK, good cars selling but sub 1000 mile cars are 30pc off, maybe more. New car sales for F also hard as limited incentives now to buy new. LEs for example. Most recent batch, Pistas and Spyders under water already.

10. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hold on to your pre-GPF 812SF’s...

11. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Spot on. There is probably a stronger floor underneath the 812 than anyone realizes.

gliazzurri, KenU and JTSE30 like this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    No doubt. Especially with this nonsense on the immediate horizon.

https://www.ft.com/content/5e9af60b-774b-4a72-8d06-d34b5192ffb4

UK set to ban sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030
    Boris Johnson due to outline move to bolster electric vehicle market
    November 15 2020
    Electric car sales still account for less than 7 per cent of all new vehicles bought across the UK © REUTERS
    The sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned within a decade, Boris Johnson is set to announce this week as part of a broader package of green initiatives.

In February the prime minister said he was bringing forward a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2040 to 2035.

Now Mr Johnson is expected to move the date to 2030 in an attempt to jump-start the market for electric cars in the UK and propel the country towards its goal of net zero emissions by 2050, according to government and industry insiders.

However, ministers are expected to keep the less stringent date of 2035 for an end to the sale of hybrid cars that are powered by electric batteries as well as traditional motors.

While electric car sales are rising strongly, they were still below 7 per cent of all new vehicles bought across the UK last month, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, a trade body.

The car industry has long argued that significant funding for infrastructure is required to help convince motorists to switch to electric cars, which are currently more expensive than petrol or diesel vehicles.

Some £500m of government funding for charging infrastructure is due to be rolled out from next year.

The money will help finance new grid connections to allow remote facilities such as motorway service stations to install more fast charging points.

There is still widespread consumer confusion about the differences between electric cars that have batteries but no engine, and various forms of hybrid vehicles that involve traditional motors.

Last week, the Department for International Trade wrote on Twitter that Nissan’s new Qashqai model would be an “electric” car, when the model is actually a hybrid.

The car industry has lobbied for the sale of new hybrid vehicles to be phased out at a later date than petrol and diesel models, arguing that they are a way of getting more consumers acquainted with battery technology.

One in four cars sold in the UK contains some form of hybrid technology.

Toyota, which owns two British manufacturing plants, has previously warned that outlawing the hybrid models made at its Burnaston factory would jeopardise future investments in the UK.

Honda, which also manufactures cars in the UK, said measures relying almost solely on battery cars within 15 years were “too narrow”.

It added that while all of its cars sold in the UK will be hybrid models by 2022, “there are technological and resource constraints that will be more difficult to overcome and which mean that battery electric cannot replace internal combustion engines in all segments”.

Mr Johnson is preparing to make an announcement this week setting out his vision for switching to a low-carbon economy.

It is expected to feature pledges on increased use of offshore wind for electricity generation, and technologies to capture and store carbon dioxide and deploy hydrogen as a power source.

Mr Johnson is also set to give the go-ahead to new nuclear power stations, notably at Sizewell in Suffolk, and provide funding for small modular reactors.

The government is also drawing up a long-delayed energy white paper that is expected to set out plans for decarbonising the sector.

Mr Johnson is keen to burnish Britain’s green credentials ahead of next year’s UN Cop26 international climate summit in Glasgow.

His predecessor Theresa May committed the UK to achieving net zero emissions by 2050.

13. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For reference I have just bought one 12 months old , 900 miles , £340k list price for £260k
    I was offered another one that had a £370k list price for the same amount.
    They can be had , probably, £30k cheaper with a more basic spec but I was looking for a particular spec/colour so was happy to pay a ‘premium’ for what I wanted even though the extra is already gone.
    I always view the purchase price as a sunk cost anyway so any return on an eventual sale is a positive :0)

14. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #789 Tommy Boy, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    In addition to EV regs, consider:

1. Huge pool of existing F-12, 599, other V-12 owners waiting to upgrade. Plus first time V-12 buyers who want the best available
    2. Future 812 variants (VS, VSAperta) not readily available to Ferrari buyers - by invite only
    3. Closest available alternative is GTS - and only if you're willing to sacrifice the non-GPF music AND US$200K (premium over 2 year old 812)

All this will create a bigger floor on prices than other models.

If you're shopping for SF, don't try to squeeze every last dollar. Buy it and start enjoying.

If you're buying GTS, consider holding on to your SF.

With the 812, you win by owning the car now, not by taking a victory lap on the seller. Though a victory lap is always nice :)

15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Below you'll find the updated table with the 28th March 2020 previous numbers together with the 18th November 2020 ones. For both models the number of cars for sale has increased around 10%.

Prancing12, BJK and Eilig like this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Very nice!

MDEL likes this.
  17. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thank you for that. In the US, the number of available 812's has steadily gone down since March. There apparently are now 15-20 fewer units available than before. Despite some new supply from guys unloading their 812's for GTS.

MDEL likes this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    What's the deal with those 2 F12's over 560 ! :eek: :)

19. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    ?TDFs

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Looking now I can only see one, which is a 70th anniversary car - more expensive ones are TdF.
    Basically when going up in prices it's berlinetta - tailor made - 70th anniversary - TdF; IMHO only the TdF actually justify the high premium asked, others are rather wishful attempts.

MDEL and BJK like this.
  21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    They are both F12s 70 years anniversary…...:)

BJK likes this.
  22. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nope, not willing to do that! The difference between the 2 is quite noticeable and dramatic. Ears, like eyes, and the emotional (or lack thereof) by-product are all in the beholder...

JTSE30 likes this.
  23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The table isn't worldwide but we can say that Ferraris put for sale on mobile.De reflect a significative part of Europe's offer. Ferraris that aren't often offered on Mobile.De I believe are the RHD from the UK and also a substantial part of the ones from Switzerland. These two countries have an important market share of the Ferraris sold in Europe.

24. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I can see that, topic probably flogged to death but when are the last pre GPF cars for UK please ?

25. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I agree 100%. I walked from my GTS order because of the sound and my dealer allowed switch to another model. I am keeping my SF for the long haul.

gliazzurri, Bundy and KenU like this.