812 lightweight lithium ion battery | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 lightweight lithium ion battery

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Hex, Dec 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As far as charging, some folks have posted here that the lithium in the Pista was problematic for them and have presumed it due to the smart alternator. It has been detailed here that the measured output voltage of the smart alternator drops below the level necessary to charge even an AGM. It was suggested to periodically use a real battery charger to get the battery fully charged or use the 7002 CTEK tender.

Past V12s (FF, F12, F12TdF) use an H8 battery. The V8 458 uses H6 as I stated. With lead-acid batteries size matters so the V12 got the bigger H8. I do not own an 812 but it is the same chassis as the F12 and same battery location. I know the part numbers are different but that does not tell me that the battery was downsized using the same AGM technology. IMO that would make things worse. So I don't know for sure that the 812 is an H8. Perhaps they are using the smaller H6 AGM and the lower output alternator as you suggest. I am just advising to make sure that any change of the battery from the OEM needs to deal with any mechanical dimension limitations.

The lithium debate has been pretty well documented here. At ten times (or twenty) the cost of a Varta or Interstate AGM that we know fits folks will make up their own minds. I would love to nuke the Ferrari battery issue as I dread replacing mine again but not willing to do it for the present crop of lithium. My OEM battery lasted 6 years so I'd be long dead before I replaced it ten times.

vraa likes this.
  2. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I am not very well oriented in which battery goes where, however I have a question: Since FF had an option "HELE" it seemed to change the battery from factory (from what to what?) - does this in anyway change anything?

3. johnuf78

johnuf78 Rookie

Jul 9, 2021
    Florida
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the correct battery size in the 812 is L4/H7. I had great success changing the battery in my Lotus to an Antigravity Lithium… I’ve left it alone for 3 weeks and no problems… according the monitoring app it was still at 94%. My 812 needs to go in for alignment which they said is a 4 hour job so I figured might as well have them change the battery while it’s there also… these cars throw all sorts of weird warning lights whenever the battery gets low. Antigravity has a nice auto cutoff and restart feature also so that means you should always be able to start your car. So I found this thread trying to look up what size battery to order. I measured the OEM battery and it seemed closest to the H7 size and then I found this picture of the OEM battery which confirms it is L4/H7.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    4 hours for an alignment? I hope that includes resetting camber on all four wheels. Toe adjustment is about 15 minutes per axle including mounting of the sensors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

john Owen and SirTony76 like this.
  5. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I'm thinking of getting a geo done on my 812 before Spring. Any suggestions on what settings ideally for my 812 for fast road use but no planned track use as I have my RS for that. Its still on OEM Pirellis but might switch to MP4Ss later on. I assume my 812's geo is set at OEM Ferrari and how good is that and is it worth altering it. ?
    TIA

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It would be worth checking with your dealer first that they will fit a non OEM battery, they will not do this in UK.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    In that case, adding a bit of camber is the most important thing. Try the following. Had a buddy do this on an SF, and it works well with both MPS4S and the TdF PZ4C shoes.

Front:
    Toe. -6 minutes per side
    Camber. -1.30 degrees per side.

Rear:
    Toe. +11 minutes per side
    Camber. -1.7 degrees per side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. RKGT

RKGT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2021
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Rogi
    I had the H6/Group 48 (30 Amp) Antigravity Battery in my GT3RS and never had any issues. I also bought with it the CTEK Charger when I traveled to Europe. Great battery and would recommend.

9. Christian212

Christian212 Rookie

Jul 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hello, I am trying to replace the battery in my 812 SF with one from antigravity however using their battery finder it offers me the Antigravity H6/Group-48 Lithium Car Battery (see https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h6-rs/) which tops out at 60Ah. The regular Ferrari approved one as per my dealer is a Odyssey battery with 80Ah.

As such they are telling me they won't install it because it doesn't have enough power. Any recommendations?

10. johnuf78

johnuf78 Rookie

Jul 9, 2021
    Florida
    Based on the battery in my 2020 812, H7 should have been the correct size.

11. lowmpg

lowmpg Rookie

Oct 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    Roger Hart
    There is a 70Ah H6 Lithium battery offered by Lithiummoto with wireless 2ndStart feature as well and for less $$

12. johnuf78

johnuf78 Rookie

Jul 9, 2021
    Florida
    Antigravity has a similar battery with the re start feature. I put one in a Lotus Evora GT but never had to use it. After replacing the OEM battery with one I never had a dead battery again even after having it sit for almost a month.

13. chris-w

chris-w Rookie

May 1, 2013
    London
    @Il Co-Pilota I have been reading this post with interest. I have a 2020 812SF and the factory FIAMM battery isn't very happy. I think as a 4000-mile car the previous owner didn't use it much and or keep it on a tender so long story short I'm going to replace it.

Finding the right battery first time is no mean feat these days and I read all about the Braille I48CS which looks like a good bit of kit but is hard to find in the UK also the lead time doesn't work for me so I'm going to replace the FIAMM with a new AGM (Varta or Bosch) and this is where I'd love your opinion.

I have managed to source the following batteries that all look like the right fit, no idea what the difference between the Varta models is...

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/a7/
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5a08/

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Il Co-Pilota last post 7 months ago..

15. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Chris,
    Size is important to get correct due to the location. L4/H7/094R is the size, this is 315 x 175 x 190 mm. The ones you list do not deliver 800A CCA. You need to go a touch bigger. On the Tayna website does not list 084R. Search 110 AGM and you will find options. You can't go wrong with Varta or Bosch.

16. chris-w

chris-w Rookie

May 1, 2013
    London
  17. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Looks good but showing out of stock, their alternative suggestion also good.