812 GTS production problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 GTS production problem

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by woody byrd, Jun 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    #26 rossodino, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    A friend ordered a 488 Spider in Swaters blue, when the car came in he noticed on the back part of the roof the paint was just fogged in you could see the metal underneath he asked several friends what he should do ,the dealer offered to have a local shop paint the fogged part we all said tell them to order you a new car which they did.

dcmetro likes this.
  2. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    And you’re not even mentioning what gets corrected or happens in transit.

Gh21631, ryalex and rossodino like this.
  3. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I'm so disgusted by what I read in this thread that I'm asking myself if Ferrari desserves to have people being passionate about...

4. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Was it a black car?

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I bought a dealer spec Portofino that had been demo'd for my wife. I am first owner because it wasn't sold but the spec sheet said it had a $5k option for a carbon fiber front lip. I noticed later that it was just plain black plastic and emailed my SA who didn't respond. I didn't think anything of it other than the fact I probably paid more for the car than I was supposed to based on the option mismatch. I chalked it up to a factory mistake.

Later I was having a conversation with the sales manager about it and he told me that the original lip was damaged, removed and replaced with the standard. They fixed the CF lip and have it sitting in storage so I can have it if I want it but they never mentioned this when I bought the car. I am not too happy about that and I am also not interested in the CF lip as it will likely get broken again. So this looked like a factory mistake but it was a dealer issue.

dcmetro likes this.
  6. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Yes.This car exactly.

Attached Files:

Andial, dickyb, ScottS and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ro55ss

Ro55ss Rookie

Nov 18, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ross Drake
    The premium option is to have hand painted shields ….. this is what is applied to top end and bespoke builds….perhaps they can do an after market application for you

8. Dijit

Dijit Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Hampshire
    Assuming they accept it is their mistake, how about accepting the car now on the basis they build you another one to your correct spec?

I’m sure if you agreed a mileage cap that it would be desirable for the dealer to take the car back in when your correct spec is ready.

9. Dijit

Dijit Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Hampshire
    One further thought that someone here may be able to clarify…do you recall if you specced standard shields or premium hand painted large shields.

If the latter I’m wondering if they get painted on after this shot is taken. My car had the tricolor badge in the spec but it was applied after photo was taken.

It could be serendipity if they have upgraded the shields (as they have with the wheels) and they were hand painted after the production line shot.

perhaps someone with painted shields could confirm?

if they are missing altogether I would suggest my plan A above.

Good luck, it’s a beautiful car!

10. rse1851

rse1851 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    Rome GA
    Full Name:
    Steven Eckhoff

Having spent 31 years in the Ferrari business, I know that mistakes do happen. Sometimes it's the Factory but just as likely the dealership. Then again, I also saw the pictures sent were the wrong vehicle. Keep your fingers crossed that the picture sent wasn't your car.

11. dhenry73

dhenry73 Rookie

Mar 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Henry
    Get them to put the hand painted shields on, free of charge, as a way of making it right they are a third bigger and look great, they are more expensive, so it should even itself out

12. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    This is your "dream" car, one that you spent the time on selecting for your personal taste and wants, DO NOT accept the car unless it is the way you ordered it, (this was NOT an inexpensive purchase) It's their fault that it does not have the shields (do NOT add sticky /aftermarket ones, it will ruin the car and give it that "I couldn't afford the "real " ones so I just added these instead" look) as for the wheels, that's an easy fix at the dealership.

13. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I've heard of this on an 812 before, dealer/factory solution was to supply two new front wings with painted shields, fitted by the dealer. Many other options were explored and this was deemed the best solution.

14. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Woody,

I know this is probably extremely frustrating for you but I think your car is absolutely GORGEOUS whether it has the shields added or not. Can't wait to see it and get our cars together. Our 812 GTS is done in Azzurro California and we absolutely LOVE it! We took it on 400 mile weekend trip to Blowing Rock and it was wonderful. I can't quite put my finger on why this is the case but I'm finding it more enjoyable to drive on curvy country roads than the 812 Superfast was.

15. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    IMHO shields are not needed on every Ferrari... before any blowback for this position let me state that if you ordered them then they should be on the car, but with that said I would agree with earlier poster that this car looks amazing in Grigio Ingrid and I'm not sure shields add to the clean look of this car... of course it is personal preference so please accept this as only mine, and others opinions on the shields.... I was unaware they could be hand-painted on the car and what does 1/3 larger look like... seems like very large shields. Also, 100% agree with Douglas52 do not add sticky shields...they look fake from a mile away.

16. RJW599

RJW599 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Robert Watson
    The painted shields are outstanding! I saw an F8 Tributo yesterday at the dealer and they look stunning. You don’t see them often because they are a $14,000 option. However you may have some bargaining room given the circumstances.

17. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    $14k option… no wonder I haven’t seen them in person. If you pass by the dealer again please take a photo, or two, and post to this thread…
    Would love to see how they look… thanks

18. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    The yellow in the painted or recessed shield doesn’t go that well with the Grigio Ingrid. I would leave it off and get the credit off the order.

megamarco9 likes this.
  19. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    The factory can send new L and R front quarter panels with the proper indentation for the shields, painted and all.
    Same with wheels

20. akdino

akdino Rookie

Jun 17, 2015
    Australia
    Hi All.
    I have a 70th 488 spider with painted shields. I believe they have one woman who paints them at the factory and they are expensive. That said, they are special as the classic racers had them to save weight as you know.
    Notably a few Ferraris never had side shields: the 246 Dino (I had) and the 365 Daytonas plus the new Roma.
    I count an average of 12 external Ferrari badges - excluding tire caps - on every car.
    As a designer I always look for clean lines on cars much like great custom car builders do, Chip Foose for example.
    The Portofino M looks great without shields as nothing distracts they eye when running along the side of the car.
    Same cant be said of that handle.on the 488s, to me it sticks out like dogs balls and has finally been fixed in the SF90. Yes it's supposed to airflow, but really. The new C8 even hides the handle well.
    So in my humble opinion, I think your shieldless car is absolutely the right choice to stick with and the wheels look great either way. Super rare not to have side shields on a Ferrari, which is what I am doing on my next order! Stunning car, congratulations. Keep as is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    beautiful artwork/craftsmanship, thank you for posting.... so fitting on this car in this color...I still feel Grigio Ingrid is better served without them,

22. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Radu, Il Co-Pilota and 350MH83 like this.
  23. Stevo

Stevo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rosa Corsa 308 QV Gts I ordered 1985 in Australia to have black interior came with tan interior. Ferrari UK very apologetic and said replacement not available but I could order an incoming 328 to such spec at a 30% increase in price!

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Have you had any updates from the dealer yet Woody?

25. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is it just me or does anyone else not dig the painted shields??? I said it before if every badge was painted sure, but to just have shields i dont get it?

Radu likes this.