812 Destroyed | FerrariChat

812 Destroyed

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by FerrariFR33458, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Holy cow- - and only minor injuries. THey must be very thankful.

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Glad nobody was killed, the energy release in that photo looks tremendous.

Surprising the "race car driver" didn't have any better sense of the power and capabilities of that machine.
    Maybe nannies were off to impress the girl?

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They are humans, not gods. Have you seen the great Kimi spinning in a LaFerrari?

At 0:35:

Wheels1 likes this.
  4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Of course they're human, and fallible.

My questions are around the decisions that particular human was apparently making at ~3am. Having spent time on a track, it's a simple choice as to what environment is better for uncorking the 812's potential. A perhaps unknown area, late at night, construction zone, passenger in the car, no helmets/harnesses? Not the right environment.

I appreciate that your video makes this point as well. ;)

5. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    It appears that that Ferrari protected it's occupants pretty well.

6. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Protected well...did you see the photo of the 812?? It crumpled like a piece of paper. :( The motor is just about in the passenger seat. The occupants should count their blessings.

deltona likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Horrific accident. Lucky for the occupants to walk away.

Reminded me of this story from a few years back also involving a Ferrari accident in Bangkok. Always wondered if the Red Bull heir would be prosecuted. Not surprised hes still a free man.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39427291

of2worlds likes this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Looks like much of the damage was done by the tools used for the extraction. It was a big rash, but the crash structures and safety features did their job and kept the occupants alive.

RamsHmb likes this.
  9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    In the picture you can see that the bodywork has straight cuts and the firewall and dashboard are completely gone, so I guess that the car was cut in half by the rescue crew and the pieces piled together later. It´s impossible that the girl got away unharmed with the engine in the passenger seat.

LVP488 likes this.
  10. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    #11 Hex, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    It seems to me that the car, when it crumpled, took the energy released as opposed to transferring it into the passengers. What would you expect a car to look like after going head on into a concrete barrier at high speed? As far as I know, cars are designed to absorb energy through the process of deformation rather than staying intact. Additionally, when I saw the picture of the car, and read that the occupants are still alive, I assumed that the car's deformation process must have contributed to that outcome. What is your take on this.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Crushed and destroyed yet ironically not a scratch to the ugliest part of the car. Agree that the passengers must have more injuries than reported.

12. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think that is exactly correct. Cars aren’t designed to look pretty after a crash. But clever engineers these days can give people an almost unbelievable chance of survival using predictable deformation. Still no guarantees though and sometimes a much less serious looking crash can produce worse injuries. Anything piercing the car for example can be very difficult