812 and 488 | FerrariChat

812 and 488

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Jordan68, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Two different still amazing cars.... If you have to keep one... Which one? And why?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 812 has the mighty V12... but the weight is an issue for the occasional track day, although the RWS provide an unexpected agility.
    So if you do not track it (either because you do not like tracking, or have another car for this purpose), the 812 should be the first choice; otherwise the 488 has the edge (that's a personal view of course).

of2worlds, tfazio and Jordan68 like this.
  3. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I feel the 488 is more enjoyable maybe!!

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The 812 is probably one of those cars that is brilliant for a particular thing. Like my RS Porsche and some other cars I have. The 488 (which I have started driving again before it goes back to the dealer to be sold) is just a brilliant, usable-at-any-time, super-quick supercar. Like everyone, I go through different moods but the mood I’m in now is that the lower noise, easy-to-use-fast mid-range torque and superior handling balance of the 488 is just so nice.

I’m getting fed up of watching where I choose to push the speed limits a little and the noise my RS attracts when having fun. The 488 can be driven quickly on mid-range alone and still have fun on the streets, and if you are somewhere where it is safe to push the throttle a bit further it is just so fast. Mine will be replaced by a Pista Spider but truthfully, the extra power of that car is not needed. I love the front-engined V12s - that engine is just incredible - but they are not as balanced or as easy to extract the performance from compared to the turbo V8s.

For purity maybe a V12, but for everything else, the 488 is just great. And it won’t really lose anything to Pista or F8 in terms of real-world driving IMO - and I have both of the newer cars coming. I loved the 488 when it was launched, the sharp looks have dimmed a little for me but what a great car overall.

of2worlds, tfazio, [gTr] and 2 others like this.
  5. YAHABO

YAHABO Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Only one of these two cars is the last of it's kind. A naturally aspirated, front-engined V12 Ferrari with no augmentation.

Cnoordz, IloveGT and Jordan68 like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would take the 812 over the 488 GTB/ Spider every time. Strangely I find the 812 exhibits the personality more of a sports car (hard nosed, wants to go go go go, noise); whilst the 488 is more of a GT (happy to be relaxed, thick wall of torque but not much reward to get to the top of the rev range).

Now, if the 488 is the Pista, then that is a much harder decision and I think I would pick the Pista! It is even harder nosed than the 812, yet it can be somewhat comfortable when required. The 812 is a masterpiece, the Pista a towering achievement.

BaronM69, of2worlds, tfazio and 5 others like this.
  7. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I sold the 488 for the 812.

812 is more personable, I am way more comfortable in the 812 than 488. It’s just more familiar to my way of driving. 488 is on steroids, the 812 is “yeah, I’m a ******* badass, don’t even tempt me to show you what’s under the right foot.”

As far as tracking the 812, I’ll have a review in November as I have a track day scheduled at Laguna Seca. My sense is it will be a monster for any but the most discerning and experienced driver.

Caeruleus11, Jordan68 and Thecadster like this.
  8. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Totally agree... Thank you for sharing your view... And enjoy your Pista in good health

9. itsasickness

itsasickness Rookie

Dec 11, 2016
    I have a 488 Spider and have an allocation for an 812. After the summer driving the 488 I am having reservations about trading it in on the 812. I love the sound of the v12 but the 488 Spider is such a great all around car. Cruising or on the track it does it all. Coming from the 458, the 488 is familiar yet improved in most every aspect. Not sure what to do. It would be nice to drive an 812 but they are a rare sight up north.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

of2worlds and Jordan68 like this.
  10. Roland1688

Roland1688 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    Taipei
    Full Name:
    Roland
    NA V12 all the way.

Thecadster and Ferrari 360 CS like this.
  11. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    The below is my personal experience and totally subjective and personal opinion. Given that:

I did Corsa Pilota Advanced with Pista and 812 on the track 2 weeks ago at Las Vegas Speedway (outer course). They were both unbelievable cars in the track.

I have both vehicles. For me, driving the Pista was easy to get into right when I brought it home from the dealership. Very easy to drive and extract a great, linear performance. On the track, it was great in the same way. Fantastic torque. The sound was unique. The car is just superb on the track. Do a search on YouTube for Nico Rosberg’s review. He drove for MBZ as an F1 champion and he thinks it is the best. I do agree with him in the video, that if there is a weak point in the car it is the brakes. BUT this is relative to the rest of the car. It is not an absolute weak point. It is just because the rest is so great. If the rest of the car is a 10/10, the brakes are 9/10.

In terms of the 812, I have never felt comfortable driving the car flat out in turns and hairpins on roads with shoulders...where if you go off into the shoulder, the consequences are serious. The 812’s massive power and weight just creates so much kinetic mass that steady steering and throttle are key.

Doing Pilota with the 812 allowed me to learn how to move this car with way more confidence. What I discovered is that while the car might have roll in sweepers on the track, the traction way eclipses any roll. And upshifts just pop you in the back. With careful handling on the track, one could close to the Pista. I was surprised. Mastery of the 812 will yield massive results.

When I was out of the car and in front of the straightaway, of course the 812 has great sound IMO.

The Pista had its own unique sound. As it was approaching and passing the straightaway, the sound was strong and powerful in terms of naturally aspirated sound. It didn’t shriek like a 458. But that’s because shifting was occurring at 6.5K to 7K on both cars. So optimizations was around torque as the track was very technical. This was true on the 812.

As the Pista was in front of the straightaway and zooming away, the additional sound was of a strong high frequency missile flying by. Didn’t sound weak. Sounded like a brand new type of sound. It sound like the turbos are constantly ready and thus the sound is constantly being generated at the gear/rpm/speed. That missile sound externally was much louder externally than it was in the car when driving.

In summary, check out Nico Rosberg’s Pista video on YouTube to see his drive it like an F1 champion would. Wish he had done one of the 812 as well.

If you have an 812 and want to improve with great instruction, I suggest doing Pilota. You also get to use an 812 from the factory not yours :)

Enjoy.

12. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    I've had both. 812 for sure

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just to be more specific on my previous comment - I guess the 812 could be as fast as (maybe even faster than) the 488 around a track, since with its massive power it's faster in straight lines and thanks to the rear wheel steering and good balance it's not that much slower in the corners.
    I was a big fan of the front-engined V12 (I had a 550, a 575 and a 599) and I know they could be surprisingly good on the track, and the 812 is some steps ahead.
    But it requires a harsher driving and puts a lot more stress on the suspension, brakes and tyres (and maybe the driver ;) ) so that after having become more familiar with the mid-engined V8, this one is the choice if some track use is intended.
    I took the 488 over the F12 almost by chance (due to market conditions at the time I bought it), but I ordered the F8 for a price that could get me a slightly used 812.

14. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Facing the same issue... Enjoying my 488 as a daily driver and hv an 812 allocation!!! Do not know what to do too!!!

15. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts... Appreciated

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Our mutual friend has a 812 and I hopped into the passenger seat for a few laps around the track, chasing a 488 spider and I should state that this track is tight and twisty with no real straight of any decent length. The 812 astonished me, the fury of the V12, the sound and the level of agility the car has despite having such a big V12.

There was nothing between the two cars through the corners.

Having said that the 488 is superb but the thunderous nature of the V12 makes it perhaps a bit more an event. There is no wrong choice here in my view.

junc, gzachary, Bundy and 4 others like this.
  17. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I test drove the 812 when an opportunity for an allocation came up. That drive took me by surprise. I loved the power, the seating and felt the steering was spot on for such a large car. I like that I could drive it being less self conscious than a V8. I took the allocation and decided to sell my 488S. I might get another V8 at some point but with a V12 I am more likely to keep it. I am now waiting for the build to be complete.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds, IPO1, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  18. Dboesch

Dboesch Rookie

May 11, 2013
    I’ve got both. Having just got the 812..I am in love with everything about the car. Might ware off at some point but for now the 488 is staying in the garage.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I started with keeping the 488 in the garage now I’m trading it for a Performante Monday. Sound of the 812 ruined me.

20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I know where you are coming from. Congrats on the Perf. It’s the perfect match for the 812. I plan on keeping both....forever.

j34 likes this.
  21. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks! I’m thinking I’ll do the same. Tough part is there’s so many options that don’t sound good and fairly few that do going forward. Hoping Ferrari/Lambo offer V12 hybrid non-turbo for a while.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I'm in the same boat. I am keeping my 488 for now and will make up my mind when the 812 arrives. I haven't driven the 812 yet so I can't make a comparison but the 488 is the best balanced car I have ever driven. The torque is great and the sound is adequate for my taste (since adding the Tubi exhaust). I know the 812 is going to be louder but I hope I don't lose too much torque. I think the way Ferrari has designed the acceleration profile of the 488 makes it closer to the NA feel and so I expect the 812 to give me the same or better feel.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009

24. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Isn’t it funny that there are multiple threads comparing other models to the 812. Just sayin. I think it really tells you how good the 812 is.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Kind of unimaginably good. The fact that they can improve so much on something like the F12 gives me hope for the future. I’m not super interested in the LE’s value wise but am very excited for the future production V12 NA models (possibly in FUV, possibly a production successor to the 812 based on the 812 VS).