81 308 radiator question | FerrariChat

81 308 radiator question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Low Ride, May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Low Ride

Low Ride Karting

Jan 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Guido Benvenuto
    I have searched the thread to get recommendations on a new radiator for my 81 308. I will definitely get the original re-cored based on some of the posts. My question is when removing the radiator, does the AC condenser come out as one unit? Also, the condenser looks a little worn and the AC has a slow leak. Would you change the condenser at the same time? To remove the radiator, it appears I need to remove the hood only. Any suggestions or experience anyone can offer? Any surprises that I should be considering? Thanks for any help.

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Yes when I removed the radiator from my 81, bonnet off and remove the radiator and condenser as a pair and separate out of the car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

waymar likes this.
  3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    +1 trying to separate them is not worth the effort.

rjlloyd likes this.
  4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I've easily removed my radiator alone, keeping the A/C condenser and associated lines in place in the car. And all without removing the front hood. But I did remove the fiberglass spare tire compartment, which gives you plenty of room.

So, do this removal whichever way best suits your own comfort zone.

DM

308 milano likes this.
  5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Same here. Didn’t remove the front bonnet on my QV and left the condenser in place when I pulled my radiator to have it boiled out.

6. Low Ride

Low Ride Karting

Jan 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Guido Benvenuto
    Options are good. Thanks guys. Will tackle the job in next couple days.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    When I removed my radiator I did so without removing the AC condenser but I did remove the hood. This is highly recommended as it is very easy to do and being able to approach the car from the front is a whole different world than struggling from the side.

Brian Harper likes this.
  8. johnny308

johnny308 Karting

Dec 3, 2011
    Greenfield, MA. USA
    Remove the hood.
    Pull the radiator up and then tilt back a bit. If the A/C is working remove the two 10mm bolts at the top and two the bottom
    leaving the condenser in the car.

At the install tape the bottom rubber isolators to the radiator or glue them to the mount. I glue the in with RTV clear.

Install radiator.

Pressure bleed the system.

Fill and run.