$800 For a battery for an FF!!!!!!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$800 For a battery for an FF!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by msgm1, Sep 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I haven't looked at my FF battery yet. Is it Fiamm?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, looks to be the case. :D

3. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
  4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes, a dealership service mgr agrees with you on that

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks! That looks like a good, powerful one. It looks heeeeeavy, too.

6. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    Just paid 800 for my new battery also from the dealer...500 for battery and 300 for labor...I was shocked!

7. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I was quoted 600
    Got them to cover half under good will

8. turboslut

turboslut Karting

May 31, 2016
    My wife's Cayenne was $550 for a new battery...and the car is 8 times cheaper than an FF (when new)

9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #34 cheesey, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    the Ah rating refers to the reserve power ( or the stored capacity ) of the battery, which is an important number to reference, it is this number that supplies the accessories ( memories, computers, door locks, alarms, etc ) with power... this number can increase in value for the better batteries... using Interstate as an example, they have a group 24 size that delivers about 75Ah of capacity they use to lead as a price item, they also have a better battery in the same physical size that delivers 140Ah of capacity... this larger reserve capacity can add several days of keeping the car powered up and still deliver a start... literally for not much more ( <$20) they have a better battery... I think my price for one +/- was about $100... if one becomes informed one has better choices from almost all battery manufactures... also there are only a few battery manufacturers world wide, yet there are a large number labels selling a battery from the same manufacturer... while batteries can be a rabbit hole to the uninformed, once understanding a few basics it is easy to get the best correct battery for your application

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    another thing that is not explained very well when it comes to batteries is that the various ratings of Ah reserve power is not fully available /useable... battery reserves are not like a gas tank which can be drained to empty, but rather only 50% of the rating is usable... it is a quick of batteries, as the reserve power is being consumed the specification of the available power changes and goes out of spec, becoming unusable for many devices... a fully charged wet cell battery can be at 12.5V and it is fully discharged when it reaches 10.5 volts... a 100Ah rated battery has only about 50Ah of useable power, the balance of power is out of spec and unusable by the various accessories and electronics

11. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    excellent choice... I have been an advocate of using deep cycle battery as a replacement for the OEM battery in the power hungry accessories in a Fcar... the deep cycle battery is also known as a RV or marine type... where the applications require a continuous supply of power to keep things in use and powered up ... this battery is spec'd at 170Ah reserve capacity which is 2 -3 times the reserve of a standard starting battery allowing a longer time before the car will drain all the power... it is also an AGM construction, which means it is sealed ( no acid fumes to damage anything ) AGM are designed for robust use, only fault is they don't like to be left in a discharged state and should be on a maintainer if the car is to be left unattended and a chance the battery may go flat...

difference between a starting battery and a deep cycle battery is the internals, a starting battery is designed to deliver a lot of power for a few seconds in time as in starting the engine... a deep cycle construction battery is designed to deliver power over many hours, it is the power delivered over a long period of time that keeps the accessories alive and the battery from going flat quickly

keep the list posted about how the battery is performing, many of the listers need to be educated about better choices for batteries

12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    For those who have installed aftermarket batteries...they are all still going strong, right?

13. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California

Of course. It's a battery...not an engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Shocked... I get it :D

Hey there is a youtube video of a Mclaren owner paying $3,000 to replace his battery.

Ferrari is such a deal !

PS if the battery has any juice in it one can jumper the cables, take the battery out, replace it and then take the jumpers off without re programming the car. Apparently a similar problem with BMW owners.

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    As we all know, the same can't be said for the oem battery. I wonder what company makes that sub-par oem battery.

BTW, what charger do you use? I don't think the outdated oem charger is able to maintain your 170 A/h DieHard battery.

16. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California

Correct. But any aftermarket battery should be fine. I replaced mine with a die hard from sears.

I use a ctek 7002 (I think that's what it is)

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Great! CTEK 7002 it is.

If my battery goes out, I'm gonna get that same DieHard from the link you have posted.

18. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Ya just buy a ctek adapter on eBay. I bought one for like $50 from that guy chgeneral off eBay.

19. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    The best brand of charger is Granite Digital. See website at saveabattery.com.

20. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks for the info! I have found it on that guy's ebay page.

What makes this charger the best?

21. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California

I'd stick with ctek since it's what factory ferrari used as well as Porsche.

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #47 otakki, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How is this oem charger? I received it from the dealer and it looks good with 7-stages leds with lots of attachment options, but I'm not sure. It looks different from the typical low-powered oem charger I have seen with only 3 status leds on the face.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    It's perfectly fine. That's a ctek charger.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Being cTek is not enough- some of their tenders don't have enough amperage in my opinion. This looks like the 4.3 model. That should work well for you. I wouldn't feel inspired to buy a different one.

25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Upon closer examination of the charging curve on the face, it's probably same the same as MUS 4.3 as mentioned without the reconditioning mode. It has max ouput of 4.3A, just like MUS 4.3.