Dino Saga 050918 | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 050918

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 050918

Carburetor problems have been frequent in number but singular in cause and effect: The engine starts popping at constant or trailing throttle. I pull the idle jets and remove the small piece of plant debris that is clogging one of the jets. The problem is fixed. Until the next time!

The car is parked outside most of the time and we have California Live Oaks all over the property. The Oaks flower in April/May and shed all the rest of the year. Particles are light, small, long and tapered. If there is any way that anything can get by the filter, it will get stuck in an idle jet. I found a solution to the problem and found an alternative source of filter elements.

When I got the car, it had a FISPA filter element consisting of wire screening covered with flocking. It kept out bugs, large rocks and small birds but not much else. I looked at standard auto paper filters and found nothing that fit the Dino filter housing. Finally took a look at filter elements for trucks and found a few that MIGHT be modifiable. Picked one that had a 4” bore, right OD but was too long. Aircraft snips took care of inner and outer mesh and a razor blade did the paper. Silicone caulking was applied liberally to the cut end. Set silicone end on a piece of ¼” foam, on a flat table, until silicone cured. Had a custom filter! I blow it off occasionally. Make a new one every couple of years. I know; K&N has a filter you can order but it needs frequent cleaning and oiling. Got enough oil. Still have the FISPA filter.

Paper filter worked fine for a while but seal at front end was not perfect. Had to clean jets again. Suddenly had a bright idea! The problem was particles getting into the idle jets from the incoming air. Why not double filter the jets and not worry so much about all of the air the engine was breathing. Bingo!

Went to my lawnmower shop and bought Briggs and Stratton intake filter foam in the biggest piece for the least amount of money. Had enough to make three filters, every three years for a decade. I used common scissors to cut triangles that fit snugly in the jet air intakes on the Webers. Hardly any air bleeds into the jets but that little is key. The foam is completely transparent and I have not cleaned an idle jet in 10 years.

I still use the paper filters. They last a couple of years (10,000 miles) with periodic cleaning. No bigie.

The first picture shows the foam in the 3-6 Weber. The second picture shows a small mod I made for the idle adjustment. I drive the car 3-4 times a day and am lazy but particular.

It turns out that different grades of gas, slow changes in timing, changes in temperature and the phases of the moon affect the idle speed. I got tired of messing with 3 idle stops, lost motion in linkage and the innate perversity of inanimate objects. Sheared, bent, drilled and tapped a piece of 1/8” aluminum and added it to the throttle spring support. An 8-32 screw and a coil spring make a single idle stop. The springs on each carb take out the slack. I can adjust the idle with my fingers, easily, any time anything changes. And the carbs stay synched!

Small things help.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for the tips & love the fact u drive it daily & park outside. Gives me hope I can drive & enjoy mine for years to come.
    Bill

3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    FYI
    I used the foam trick as an added filtration and it had negative effects. It would cause the Dino to stumble from idle until the power circuit took over ~2500 rpm. It was a very noticeable stumble. I tested it twice and I am leaving the foam pieces out. It now runs great with no stumble.

I also completed the Crane opto conversion of the points. So far it is running excellent. I wired it up so I can go back to points, if needed. I only have to install the points and connect two wires.

With my rebuild complete and the retorqe complete, I am only chasing down minor oil leaks.

Richard
    Dino 03510

4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Kudos to John!
    The idle speed adjustment method works excellent! What a time saver with synching the carbs and quick way to adjust the idle speed.

Way to go John and keep coming up with more lessons learned!

Richard
    Dino 03510