718 gt4 and spyder | Page 3 | FerrariChat

718 gt4 and spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 95spiderman, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    have you seen vette in person? have to accept some compromises for the price but im now considering it as lotus elise replacement. give up the connected feel of lotus but gain comfort and performance might be worth it after 10 yrs lotus ownership

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I’ve. Read the specs its longer and heavier than a c7

The looks are fine, no one has driven one yet. You also need a car that works in a city, lotus would be terrible there. As you say all cars have to compromise somewhere, the question for me is what are the Vette dynamic compromises.

We’ll see when the tests come out. Although tjeee days magazines will never overtly critique a sponsor. So we’ll aalo see how these cars do on track and what like minded owners have to say.

By the time we know the answers in some detail and have a personal chance to try one it will be 2022 model year and probably much improved.

All of which is to say if you’re thinking g Vette hang on to themotus for a few more years till they get the Vette dialed in.

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes the plan is to keep elise another 2 yrs then replace w vette. maybe z06 by then.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have driven a vette and if the new one is 10x better than the old ones it will still suck. And that rear end looks like an abortion.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I don't know whther it will suck or not, no one does, if the past is a guide the vette will be able to put down good numbers but still not be all of a piece..
    Its a 60K base car so is it a fundementaly cheap car. Also Gm itself touts it as being 10% stiffer than the c7, so not all that stiff.
    However vettes have a way of evolving into better cars as a platform matures.
    To me it all depends on which direction, or directions Gm takes this vette. On one hand they want a new customer base, which means more of a euro car in build and feel, on the other hand vette has never been euro and the current core customer base wants a comfortable easy to get in and out of car that can carry two golf bags and acomodate the needs of +60- yo who really dont drive sports cars except for form.

can one platform be made to dance at various functions, porche acheives it with the 911 which goes all the way from Gt3(light and raw) to Turbo (heavy fast secure comfortable). We'll see, but as you imply vette has scant history to support a Gt3 type car.

6. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    It's a shame you aren't considering Porsche. Even a 718 Cayman or 992 Carrera would be better than the C8.

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    unless c8 is a total bomb, 718 4cyl is a deal breaker for sports car. its ok in a sporty suv, but not a sports car. base non gt 992 is a lux gt. more 2 door panamera than sports car. would take c8 over both all day long. only gt porsche should compare

boxerman likes this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Drove a 718 boxter S on street and track. Thought he motor was fine in terms of power for what it was. The whole car to me just effortless and Boring with a capital B. I guess if it had auto steer and autodrive it could have been even a little more boring. Its a fine comuter car, painless quick and good steering even if completly lacking in feel. But then I drive a lotus exige and elise, 1 for track and another for street, so i like a more viceral machine even if it has other flaws. As a road car for USA big roads I think a vette might just be more fun, more of an occasion.

For track, will a stock vette zo6 be better than a Gt4? Right now I see that heavily moded caymans(ie over 100k upgrades) pretty much rule the track, so you can probably grow a cayman for track in a way you cant a vette. But porche still hobbles the cayman and that grates. The Gt4 is a great car, but just shy of compelling.
    The Evora which I dont love is to me more compelling than a 718, unless were talking Gt4.

Neither a street Vette nor Cayman gt4 will run with my track lotus, so neither is really a new car consideration for me if its track use in mind. For a ridiculous overpowered street car, to me the future z06 vette woudl take it over a Gt4.

However if I had to have one car to do it all, the Gt4 would probably be it, and even then if I could get a Gt3 with stick that would be the pick for road and ocasional track, maybe evn a 911T. Sad as the cayman is probbaly a better platform than the 992.

We'll see if the vette makes an interesting Gt3 type car, or they just go the heavy overpowered over tech route of the NSX or do both.

95spiderman likes this.
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Any more news re GT4 RS?

10. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Not sure about the GT4, but I'm liking the new GTS 4.0, the US configurator is now up with pricing, a bit up there in cost for what it is but it's nice.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    cant wait for the comparos w c8. very similar performance, price, etc but done very differently.

12. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    It's too bad that you have to get the wart w/ the GTS, while the GT4 is optional.

13. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    What's a "wart"?

14. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Sport Chrono (SC) on the dashboard. While nipples are headlight washers, and another wart is the antenna for the radio on the rear.

15. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Lol! That's pretty funny.

I like the sport chrono, I have it in my 981S, I like watching the clock hands move back and forth when I start/shut the car.

16. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The 981 was the best application of the SC as it was nicely integrated between the air conditioning vents. The hazard lights and locking button you would get otherwise seem out of place there. However, on the 718 it is on the dash like 911s.