718 gt4 and spyder | Page 2 | FerrariChat

718 gt4 and spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 95spiderman, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    I'm leaning on staying with the gated manual 360 Spider. It's too special.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Get it. And keep the Ferrari as well.

See how easy that was ?

4. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Hey, me? I'm just a school teacher, dude!

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    All his kissing A to get an allocation for a car porche purposefully crimped. Theres a new sherrif in town called the C8. If porche wants to sell their cars time to up the game. The Gt4 needs a proper Gt3 motor and shorter gearing, that means it can then ocupy a space the heavier vette cant. They also need to produce enough that you can buy one without kissing A.

Time for prche to get serious with the cayman and boxter, otehrwise why woudl someone buy one, the badge? precise german engineering? Bottom line whatever appeal these cars had, has been diminshed by the new vette. Porche needs to get competitive and serious, no half measures or 3/4 measures which is what a Gt4 currently is.

The Cayman is lighter than the vtte will ever be, its probbaly dynamicaly superior too, but seriously it needs THE motor and gearing. The world just changed last weds.

slm likes this.
  6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    gt4 is special since its got the stick shift and will be excellent on track. other than that, 718 is dead. maybe if it becomes fully electric?

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I am in the same camp! I am tired of playing games with Porsche and my porsche dealership to get the GT cars. I have asked for a spyder, but you would think i was asking for their first child. They told me to spec a car on the configuration, send to them and they will see what they can do.

I am excited about this new vette. Performance is just fine for the street. Like the looks. Price is right. Top comes off without a 80K premium. More durable than even a Porsche. I am first on the list of my local dealer. Porsche can go....

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Amen.
    I was just at my local race preparer. They have been prepping a Mcalren 570GT4. One and all were super excited about the vette.

9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    The Spyder is an amazing car! I just traded my 2016 for the new offering. Figure I'll get the tax credit by using it for trade on the new one. I've owned a lot of cars in my time but this Spyder is probably one of my favorites. Just thoroughly enjoy driving it. With the new one having 417HP its really going to be a blast.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not an uninteresting car. If this article is accurate the reason for no Gt3 mtoor is it probably would then cost the same as any GT3 to produce.
    If youre looking for a viceral me car, that has a stick, great steering etc, the Gt4 is probably the only game in town. Much as I am a lotus fan, the evora is nowhere near this car. Will the vtte be "faster" in acce;leration yes, to the extent that the relevant criteria.

Hopefully porche wants to sell cars and make money, not javk customers around. Ill also assume that the Gt4 is not limited production, but now a regular prodiction car, so after year 1 its available.

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman-gt4/22886/new-porsche-cayman-gt4-2019-review-its-a-bit-special

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    biggest reason I would pick c8 over these is that I like open roof car on track but spyder doesn't have enough roll over protection for tracks I go to. c8 is fine. but if you like tracking and don't care about roof, then gt4 is the best car to have right now. (not counting things like senna, pista, etc)

12. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    C8 has no shift gate, and has DCT I hate

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    No one has driven the vette yet, and the trackable version may be a year or two off. Interesting competition heating up.

MarkL likes this.
  14. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    It is easier to purchase a Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 than to purchase a C8 Chevrolet Corvette. The GT4 is objectively a better car too.

15. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The Porsche 718 Cayman GT4, McLaren Senna, and Ferrari 488 Pista aren't the best track cars. From slowest to fastest, Spec Miata, GT4 CS (MR), 911 GT3 Cup, R, and RSR for competition. The 488 Challenge, GT3, 720S GT3 and 570S GT4 are decent contenders as well. There are also cars like Radicals, Dallaras, GT2RS CS, 935, etc. which are better than those road legal examples you mention.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i was talking about street cars than can be driven to and from track day.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    No one knows how the vette drives yet,(lets assume for now its good) and next year they will be easy to get, whereas porche will still be playing you cant have it games, playing it conservative with the cayman platform. There are many smaller roads Im sure the Gt4 will be preferable to the vette on, but then a lotus elise is more preferable in those situations too. To me the vette is like a workable aventador not really a Gt4 competitor, some version of the the vette may also morph inot a perforrmante.

What jars most about porche is how they dont make the best car they can out of the Gt4, and as such theyre wide open if the vette is really good.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed, with possibly the exception of the Senna road cars are simply miles from a true track car.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Of the moderns to drive too and from track, that works on track and purchaseable new , Miata, Honda Type R, an alpine(not purchasebale in USA) Lotus elise 250(not avialable in USA), G4/GT3, (in the maybe category, the mnustang Gt350R,I hear the performante is good, as is I guess the unobtanium pista), everything else is imo too heavy, soft and too flawed for track. As you know theres a big difference between goes on track and really works on track. Well see what the vette team comes up with.

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i dont think vette will be able to deal with heavy track use like a gt4/3 can. the extra few hundred pounds will make difference with cooling issues and consumables.

21. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Porsche isn't going to limit production on the 718 GT4 / Spyder. Preuninger specifically stated this in the Carfection video. They will make as many as there is demand, and they will do it for multiple years, unlike the 981 GT4/Spyder and the 997.2 Spyder/Cayman R.

If you want one, you'l get one eventually.

22. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Interesting, Preuninger said the same thing about the GT2RS. :confused:

23. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have an allocation for this spyder (GT silver and red interior) and my dealer says spring of 2020. He is being very magnanimous by allowing me to have it for MSRP. As soon as I saw and read about the C8, I plunked down a deposit for one. Not sure if I will keep my spyder allocation or cancel. So many choices!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    great color combo!

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Porche ara quality pieces. A vette tarts off as a cheap Gm car, lets not forget its a 60K base, so what are the bones. From those who have seen it , the vette is a large car, long wheelbase and heavy. I just dont see it and the Cayman competing objectively, subjectively however most people dont drive either car near its limit and the vette has wow factors that vettes previously lacked.

I would like to see porche really pushing the cayman and not holding back. For that matter I would like to be able to buy a Gt4(with Gt3 mtoor and short gearing) on order AND or be able to order a Gt3. That you cant means porche is simply not on my list.