718 gt4 and spyder | FerrariChat

718 gt4 and spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 95spiderman, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Porsche did a great job, esp on the spyder. could've easily just over boosted the awful sounding gts 4 cyl but went with new Naturally Aspirated! 6 cyl off the 992. and the spyder gets the full gt4 package with same 415 hp and suspension. only 6 sp stick for now but maybe pdk in future. Porsche is saying its up in weight from old ones but that's bc of new regulations on how weights are determined. only 30 kg real world increase but well worth any increase to get rid of that terrible 4 cyl. and its under $100k. much rather have spyder than a used 355, 360, or even 430 spider.

https://www.motor1.com/news/355199/porsche-cayman-boxster-gt4-spyder/

zygomatic and Pawilly like this.
  2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The Boxster finally gets a 911 motor. Yay !

PhilNotHill and arizonaitalian like this.
  3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    shocked at how little internet interest there is in this pair. even the Porsche sites are quiet about it. I think its a great car. probably better driver than gt3 with the balance of mid engine. and spyder is way better looking than the 3 times $$ speedster.

4. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    As a 981 GT4 owner, I'm a bit disappointed in the 718 GT4. Same torque (artificially limited due to transmission, no doubt, but as someone who doesn't mod his cars due to autocross class rules and warranty concerns it's still the same), very similar but slightly worse styling (subjective of course), 30hp more which is nice but not great, an unproven motor, a particulate filter which I fear will not sound near as good as the 981 (which is one of it's greatest attributes), slightly better aero...maybe, but the major downsides of cylinder deactivation and start/stop. I guess while I'm disappointed, I'm also pleased as I feel no desire to upgrade. I hope they make an RS version and will seriously consider one as long as it DOESN'T have cylinder deactivation or start/stop.

Stradalelover, Shack and crinoid like this.
  5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    cannot avoid the cylinder deact as its needed for regulations. ive had it in several cars and can just ignore it. might not sound as good as last gt4 but it will be close and the extra power and rpm will easily make up for that. bigger up grade is to the spyder that gets the full power and suspension of gt4 this time. its a great alternative to those who cant have a speedster. overall, fact that Porsche went to the trouble of making a new na motor is amazing. and with a stick shift too! kudos to Porsche.

6. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    This isn't a new motor for the GT4 as the 991.2 GT3 also has a 4.0 6 cylinder. Only the recent 982s have had 4 cylinders. The 992 hasn't been proven to have a naturally aspirated option yet either.

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    pretty new anyway. uses same block but im sure it took quite bit of work to get it naturally aspirated. 992 will stay turbo for sure

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    The spyder looks like a great package. I have have a request for an allocation in. My dealer told me to configure a car and send them the code hoping they can use that to get an allocation. Will see if they come through.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The Gt4 needed a proper Gt3 derived motor and shorter gearing, that would have been compelling. This car gained weight and complexity, and is once again held back to let the 911/992.2 shine.
    Might as well get a 911T.

sigar likes this.
  10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    youre being too hard on it. cannot expect gt3 motor in cayman (unless done aftermarket). would kill their biz model. 415 hp at 8k rpm is like a 997 gt3 anyway. no way do i take a 911t over gt4 and i dont think you really would either

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The 997 Gt3 was a metzger engine which was a completly different animal and the real thing in so many ways, regardless of power.. The 991 and 992 Gt3 motors are based of the casing of the regular motor but very different inside, full of some very lightweight componants, so even if not metzger its once again a very differnt animal. I think a 450hp Gt3 motor and shorter gearing would make the Gt4 truly compelling and far more so than a turbo derived motor with heavier rotational mass stop start and cylinder deacativation, but maybe not, no one has driven the new Gt4 yet so its just speculation.

i get the whole business model thing, and porche are the masters at it and heirachy. By the same token its time to let the cayman breathe, it is a different machine and concept to a 911.. Would I take a 911t over a Gt4, probably, theyre both street cars. A Gt4 clubsport as a pure track machine, thats another story again, but then for 200k track only I probably wouldnt do a heavy porche, says the guy who already spent more than a loaded Gt4 getting a lowly toyota powered lotus to where I want it for track, so its emotion as well as logic, each car having different pieces of each. What a lotus has going for it is light weight being really reactive and raw in a way the well balanced but heavy cayman cant be, even if the Gt4 still has a better motor. A Gt3 motor in cayman, thats to me hard to beat and tiltys the objective and emotional balance into gotta have it.

Not saying the Gt4 is not a cool car or even a great car, because it is a great car, just not compelling as in I gotta have it, because wow..

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i feel the spyder boxster is a wow car. a have to have it street machine. gt4 is take it or leave it to me as track/street combo. i just love the looks of spyder and i love open top car. would seriously replace elise with one if it had pdk. im tired of stick shift after 40 yrs of it

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am in full agreement with you, the spider is a wow car and the Gt4 take it or leave it. I also suspect that by year 2 if not before a pdk will be offered.

Like others I love a stick on the street for its engagement, on track paddles are superior in every way, from speed to the ability to keep both hands on the wheel and concentrate/corner so much better.

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i love involvement of stick too but traffic where i live has gotten insane. my soon to be 60 yo leg cant take clutch in bumper to bumper anymore. lol

15. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    What I can say is that I'm not going to be selling my 981 Spyder anytime soon. :)

sigar and slm like this.
  16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i like the last spyder too but new one is a nice step up with all the gt4 performance including hp and suspension.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I guess I am in the minority, I happen to not mind the 718's 4cyl engine, I have a base (gearshift) and a S PDK, and with a downpipe, exhaust, tune and a few other things added in the base gearshift car is more than you can possibly use on the street. It does not sound like any of my 911's (or any of my other cars), but it is not supposed to. The 718's were not exactly flying off the shelf (since more people listen to reviewers than their own experiences), and putting a 6cyl back into play is just going to make it harder to move the other models. I'd rather have a 718 GT4 than a 360 or a 430.

18. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can say this: the 718s are surprisingly fast on track and in AutoX.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just drove. 4cyl Baxter s on track. The first word that comes to mind is effortless the second is balance. What a well balanced platform, add to that the electronics which took the edge off so much so that it would 4 wheel drift. This in a car that’s used for comuting comfortably and went on Track just fine including the brakes.

Yeah it felt heavy, yeah it was soft, yeah it was a little bland and overboostwd, but that applies to nearly every road car. I could feel the competence of the platform and everything was easy esp the steering .

I would hope the gt4 would be more visceral,
    But regardless it’s clear this platform can achieve much.

All the more reason why I would buy a gt4 with revy gt3 motor and short gearing. You know something that feels alive and a bit more raw But for all its competence that’s not the gt4 being made.

Yeah as a road car the spider seems like it will excellent and I’m sure it can track just fine. Spiderman when they make that car with the pdk you won’t go wrong, there will also be some moments when you might miss the lotus, even though the porche will be quicker.

zygomatic likes this.
  20. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    So I have a 6sp gated manual 360 Spider (2003).

Is the new 718 Spider worth trading for? I'm really torn.

21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    will take $$ in addition to 360 to get into spyder which makes it even harder decision.

22. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Understood.

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I also wonder if you can get a test drive before you decide to sell a special 360 to get it. don't think p dealers have gt cars for testing out

24. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    No they don't and the allocs are going fast.
    I have a line on one because I'm a past loyal customer of a sales manager

25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    good luck w decision. let us know what you decide