'65 275 GTB shortnose on ebay | FerrariChat

'65 275 GTB shortnose on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Schatten, Jan 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  2. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    on barchetta.cc : 275 GTB 1965 Alfred Ducato by Chinetti
    Hillsborough - California

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If it sells a 295K$ i will go nuts !

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    It's nice they took time to take good pictures.

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Lets all chip in and make get this baby back in shape!

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Family Classic Cars. Explains the asking price.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm not really up on the market for this car. Can it be worth $300-400K restored? And he's looking for $300K pre-restoration.

Am I missing something here? Car would need $100K+ worth of work, right?

Has the world gone MAD??? Or am I just insane?

DM

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I asked the seller..."FML pegs this car at $250K max, restored. Do you have a reason why this car should be worth 2-3X that, when restored? It's going to take $1500-200K to fix, add that to your asking price, puts this car over $500K. Thanks for any information you can provide. Oh, do you have better pictures? Dave M."

His reply:

DAVE: THE LAST SHORTNOSE SOLD AT NEAR $400K, WITH THE FACTORY 6 CARB SET UP THIS CAR WILL SELL FOR $500-600K WITH NO PROBLEM. EVEN FML CANNOT KEEP UP WITH ALL 275"S 2 AND 4 CAM'S, LUSSO'S ETC. HOPE THIS HELPS LARRY

True? False? I just don't get price run up differential.

DM

9. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I can't comment on this particular car, but I do agree with his statement that the FML API does not keep up with the surge in prices for 275's, Lusso's and several others.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    if its worth so much and so damn special, then why did they allow it to be covered with junk. i would bet the weight of all that crap has damaged the bodywork and possibly the windshield. one owner or not, how do people let cars get this bad and still keep them?

11. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If I had 295k I'd be writing a check for that car right now.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Wondering to self: Why would he provide images of the rear and interior that were taken after the car had been cleared of all of the junk, but none of the front?

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Probably doesn't want to pay for posting extra photos in his listing....I can't see how he's seriously expecting to sell on ebay, much less for what he's asking. A 365 GTC/4(kind of pimped-out) and a nice-looking 330GTC were up on ebay until just a couple of days ago. Neither met reserve. The only Vintage cars that seem to sell there are cheap ones - usually fairly trashed 330 2+2's, with an occasional trashed GTE. I did see a 330 America in decent condition sell there in early '02, and have also seen a couple of nice 330 2+2's sell, but they were exceptions.

14. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I got mine off an ebay listing (GTE in 2001). Two of the highest bidders flaked, but it looked like the car "sold". I ended up getting it for less than my 3rd highest bid.
    My motto for the week: Steals and rip offs, with nothing in between !

This is a crazy price for a short nose, but I guess.....a seat for every ass, an ass for every seat could prove true if someone has more money than brains...

thx
    luke

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Hillsborough? - I am in Hillsborough. Luke - shall we go have a gander? :D

--Dan

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Your GTE was an exception as well; I remember when it was first on ebay. Interesting coincidence: Alfred Ducato in Hillsborough, CA was the first owner of my 330. He must have had it and the GTB at the same time.

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Alot of sellers consider EBay cheap advertisement. It is the cheapest worldwide sales tool out there. So I would think that many of the cars for sale that do not meet reserve, actually do sell. Any thoughts?

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agree. I'm sure that many cars that come to the market's attention on Ebay sell later privately. Ebay still makes money from the upfront fees, so everyone gets something out of it. But, then there are the cars that linger on the market for whatever reason--I've seen dealers and private owners list something there, it doesn't sell, and you see it on a website or in a magazine ad months later, or back on Ebay, sometimes for the third time or more.

19. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    sure...we can show up with a crate Chevy engine and a hoist......we could even start taking measurements to see if it would fit in the engine bay instead of that unreliable V12...
    I am game if we can be of service to the community, including a possible buyer.

20. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    As amazing as it is, the asking price for this car is not really too far out of line , if it fact it really is a factory 6 carb with 1 owner. To restore this car, if it has no rust or body damage will cost around 100k. you would then have a finished "fresh" car. I think these cars are undervalued and are on the way up.I believe this car restored, and done by the right shop, will be worth 600k in a few years. Forget a 401k, 275gtb is the fund my money is in.

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #21 Chiaro_Slag, Jan 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Indeed, but for a 600K car to be worth 600K, you need to find a buyer who wants it badly enough to shell out 600K. I'm not into the market for rare and classic cars, especially those with a prancing horse badge, but this seems to be something you'd need to sit on for a while. And given those terms, a 401K might be a good trade in.

23. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    For US$ 220K it may come to the Netherlands. I will have it restored like new.

I made this offer to the owner but he told me he paid more.

I sold my very original alloy 6c 3 years ago for just little bit more, but that is live.

If there are any more interesting Ferraris in need of help and for sale in the States you may contact me.

Yours,
    TOTO70_0

24. f355al

f355al Karting

Jun 23, 2004
    Los Angeles area
    Full Name:
    Uncle Al
    Notice the gap between the top of the tire and the fender? It appears that the car may not have the weight of an engine to compress the springs to normal ride height.

FWIW, Al

25. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    look carefully behind the front tire - maybe it's up on blocks??

doody.