64165 86 412 5 Speed sold at auction- CHEAP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

64165 86 412 5 Speed sold at auction- CHEAP

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Mar 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well that would make sense- you know how you get a "vibe" about a car and a seller?? I got that vibe-

The more I deal with the Ferrari world the more I learn that a "Bargain" often turns out to be a nightmare.

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

This car has been for sale at least 2 other times and it never reached the amount that it is currently... Previous auctions saw the bids reaching around $24K or so without meeting reserve and now for some reason they are over $32K ??? Looking at the early bid history raises some questions for me...which may be unwarranted, but they are certainly odd...

Anyway, here is the info if anyone is interested.

1986 412 Chassis: 59361 Mileage: 32,529
    Current Bid: $32201 (has not met reserve)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Ferrari-/170610444906?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27b92cca6a

Cheers,

Sam

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Some facts-

Auction was in Ft Lauderdale not Atlanta.

Ebay cars are ALWAYS cheaper than any other venue- So a tidy 412 goes for $25k usually on ebay- the price on ebay depends wholly on the seller- cause every Ferrari that gets listed gets dozens of inquiries for more, better, bigger photos- scanned documentation of service records etc.- this seller was unwilling to provide ANYTHING to ANYBODY- so he got the typical lowball $25K bids- and I am sure those bidders would not have paid had they won.

My white 400i was on ebay three times- High bids never reached more than $30K for a 400 with 5-speed and fresh paint/interior/tranny... after the auctions ended they went ahead and rebuilt the motor and put it up again- high bid of $28K with a reserve of $36,500. The seller was the guy who painted the car- seems like a nice enough chap but not big on the personal touch.

I guarantee you if I sold this car today- I'd take great pictures- put up a photobucket account with TONS of images- scan every receipt from the rebuild process, then describe in excruciating detail the rebuild process of the car and what was involved both in terms of expense and man hours- and I'd probably get high $30s. Cause everybody forgets- when you sell a car yo still have to market it- and if you have a good car with a good story and you can honestly describe the virtues of the vehicle- you can get slightly above market- even on ebay.

There is an indescribable "FEEL" to a really super clean mint car- you can't photograph it, you can't describe it- you have to be there, in the car, start it up, drive her hard- to know. To put that feel back into one of these cars would cost several times what the car is worth- so when I got to examine the silver 412 I wound up buying, in person- it completely changed my entire view of these cars. Later the same day I saw a black/Tan 87 auto that was right at about the same price- and looked MINT in the photos. But you know how old cars are- the paint was great but yet it seemed old, the interior really clean but it didn't seem fresh. The car started and ran well but lacked the rich and elegant bass note of the silver car and lacked the smooth endless power the silver car had. It stunk of fuel and the front end creaked... the A/C motor made a grinding noise, the antenna stuck halfway up, the passenger window dropped two inches every time we hit a bump, wipers travelled three inches then stopped, the classy tan leather was hard with fine cracks and the dash appeared to have been coated with armor all...two nearly identical cars with roughly the same mileage and roughly the same asking price. A PPI would have revealed very few of those issues- cause that's just not what those guys cover.

I only KNEW which one was better by putting my butt in the seat and driving them- and the difference is not close...not by a mile.To me the Silver car was worth $20k MORE than the other car- yet my final price was within dollars.On any old car you have to learn the "Story" the car has to tell first, and that is not contained in receipts or mechanic reports- it's told through your eyes and your fingertips and the seat of your pants.

Buying one of these long distance or after a three minute perusal at an auction is for car dealers- not owners.

4. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ....I was speaking to the 1985 Series 2 car ending VIN 623 that I posted another thread on, not the car which is the subject of this thread...

still licking my wounds on that car...

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just a car- Another one around the corner....

6. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    With $4 gas in the U.S., I wouldn't be looking for these cars to go UP in value anytime soon. Just more fuel for the fire to avoid high consumption cars.

Good for buyers, tho :)

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You mean that $120 fillups and 10 mpg is a bad combination? :)

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just an FYI re: Black 412 on Ebay... Auction ended with the reserve not met at $34100 ... However, looking at the "high" bidders something just does not look quite right to me...

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=170610444906

Highest bidder made 3 bids with only the seller of this car
    2nd highest bidder made 4 bids with only this seller and his other cars in auction.

These two bidders escalated the bid from $27K to where it closed.

Prior to this there was one bidder who bid repeatedly from $16K to $24K

I could be wrong, but something certainly looks odd to me. Anyway, enough said.

Cheers,

Sam

9. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Seller says he is firm at $46K.

The "Sat in storage for 10 years" thing always worries me on these cars.

10. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #35 Highmiler, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    I remember a similar phenomenon involving two Pantera owners who bid on each other's cars to establish a new "floor" price for the Pantera. This incident was in the pre-internet days. It was many years ago and may well be an urban legend.
    The process sure sounds familiar.
    Greg

11. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    $4 a gallon, if only it was that here in blighty!! how does $9 a gallon sound? maybe we should all move to Venezuela or Iran where its less than $0.20 a gallon.

Then again maybe not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_and_diesel_usage_and_pricing

12. Glaverbel911

Glaverbel911 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Neustadt ADW/Toronto
    Full Name:
    R. Groß
    My wife is Venezuelian and i've been there many many times.. its true,, .04cents/litre.. its makes you sick to your stomach yet grin at the same time when you can fill an average car for $2.
    But I would rather pay $1.35/litre here in Canada or $2/L in europe and live safely,, Its not worth the risk of being there when they will kill you just for your old shoes..

Regards, Robert.

13. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Shannons auctions very recently had a decent 400i go off for ....................

$12500.Thats better than spares value for some of us.

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's been several years (pre-Chavez) since I was last in Venezuela but the number of huge old American V8 cars on the roads was reflective of the low cost of gas in the country.