62 y/o fitness/workout routine | FerrariChat

62 y/o fitness/workout routine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ECHO CHARLIE, Mar 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Any suggestions or routines you use? I consider myself fairly fit I workout on a regular basis , but it does get boring sometimes. We have a local YMCA here, but no fitness clubs (ie CROSSFIT etc. ).
    If this has been discussed please direct me to the thread.

Cheers,
    Edward

PS : I'am not trying to train for a Ironman or anything.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My dr advised after 50 try and avoid high impact events, like running, sports, but rather work on lighter weights more reps...and use your body as the event....meaning, pushups, yoga, plank...pylometrics type of exercising....easy on the joints and bones as we age, and you still get a full body workout,with mobility...and last but not least..watch your back..no hard twisting...keep your core sucked in.

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm 62 yrs. old and work out on no-impact machines at the local neighborhood gym. Lost 45 lbs. since august 2010, with no injuries save a sore muscle from time to time.

4. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Kettle bell workouts

5. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Boo! Your doctor is way too conservative. My old training partner was 53 and was benching almost 400lbs natural. My dad is 83 and was still benching 200lbs natural at 80. I seriously think that you dont have to limit yourself at ANY age as long as you listen your body.

The more muscle mass that you keep on, the more bone density you'll keep in addition to less abdominal fat (which makes for better insulin sensitivity).

6. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Doing bench pressing is not high impact , if someone has never done 400lbs bench pressing at 50 is not the time to try ;)

7. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    You can keep your muscle mass and fitness level until you are 80 studies have shown. Don't let "age" slow you down.

8. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I agree that bench press is not high impact. However you or your doctor were advising using bodyweight as the platform exercises and cited pushups as an example. So I brought up an example.

9. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I figured as much bubba !

His point was not to over exert...and low impact on joints and bones.

10. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    My youngest brother is almost 52, and he doesn't bench; however he does hundreds of (various types) of pushups for each workout (as well as other exercises). I'll wager that doing hundreds of pushups (and a variety of other exercises as well) is a great substitute for those who don't care to begin benching at age fifty plus. One benefit of the pushups is that he can still throw a baseball hard and far as well as still snap out fast, hard punches in volume.

11. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Basically, my brother began with P90X, and how he has modified it a bit. It is so challenging and his results have been so good that he hasn't gotten bored with it.

12. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Check out Tim Ferris book The Four Hour Body. The Chapter from Geek to Freak works. I did it and at 54 it is amazing and easy.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    it is hard to believe that there are absolutely no fitness clubs it seems is a fitness clubs are everywhere of some sort ,

Ymca, offers fitness classes . spinning and or the rowing machine would be the best ways to start . also take the yoga classes because you need to improve your balance and flexibility . Most Ymca offers boot camp classes which are good also

I left for health reasons , weight training is extremely beneficial .