61st Annual 12 Hours of Sebring | Page 8 | FerrariChat

61st Annual 12 Hours of Sebring

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Dec 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    new GT leader :eek: :(

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    checkered.

congrats to Audi on a phenomenal run at Sebring (OA victories 11 of the last 14 years)

a shame they won't be back next year. :(

great race, if a somewhat anti-climatic finish. on to LeMans... :D

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    FANTASTIC GT race. Five marques in the top five places... THIS is what it's all about.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Another historic success for Audi
    First triumph of a hybrid race car at Sebring
    One-two victory of the Audi R18 e-tron quattro on U.S. debut
    Fässler/Jarvis/Tréluyer win endurance classic
    Ingolstadt/Sebring, March 17, 2013 – Another historic racing success for Audi: The Audi R18 e-tron quattro’s victory marked the first ever of a hybrid race car at the Sebring (Florida) 12 Hours in the history of the U.S. endurance classic.
    On the – provisionally – last running of the LMP1 sports cars that feature sophisticated technology at Sebring, Audi Sport Team Joest achieved a commanding one-two victory. Right from the start, the two Audi R18 e-tron quattro cars set the pace, during the entire race an Audi was at the front of the field made up of 42 prototypes and GT sports cars. The third-placed Lola-Toyota was trailing the winner by five laps at the finish.
    For twelve hours, the two Audi R18 e-tron quattro cars fought a fierce duel for victory and repeatedly overtook each other in close battle. In total, the lead between the two R18 cars changed 20 times. A damaged under-floor of car number “1” that was ultimately victorious caused some headaches for Audi Sport Team Joest. The necessary repairs could be performed without any major time loss during caution periods though.
    In the thrilling duel between the team’s two cars the current Le Mans winners and World Endurance Champions Marcel Fässler (CH) and Benoît Tréluyer (F) plus Sebring newcomer Oliver Jarvis (GB) prevailed by a narrow margin. All three celebrated their first Sebring triumph. For Jarvis, after the GT success with the Audi R8 GRAND-AM at the Daytona 24 Hours, this marked the second victory at a classic U.S. endurance race.
    With a gap of only 7.679s, Lucas di Grassi (BR), Tom Kristensen (DK) and Allan McNish (GB) completed the Audi one-two result. A 60-second time penalty due to a collision with a slower sports prototype had been imposed against the 2013-specification Audi R18 e-tron quattro shortly before the end of the third hour.
    In 14 races at Sebring with Le Mans prototypes, this marked Audi’s eleventh overall victory. Eight times the brand with the four rings celebrated one-two results. The premium manufacturer’s tally reflects 24 podium places. Ten times an Audi started from the pole position – more often than any other manufacturer in the history of the race that has been held since 1952. The Audi R8, the R10 TDI and the R15 TDI each celebrated victorious debuts at Sebring. With the first victory of a diesel sports car in 2006 and now the first triumph of a hybrid race car Audi achieved two historic victories. Audi took the first podium and the first win at a sports car race at Sebring as well. In addition, Audi regularly used the track in Florida to prepare for the Le Mans 24 Hours.
    This time, Audi Sport Team Joest will again stay at Sebring after the race for tests with the Audi R18 e-tron quattro that has been subjected to further development. It still remains to be seen whether or not there will be a future for Audi at the U.S. endurance classic. After the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) and the GRAND-AM Series merged to form the new “United SportsCar Racing” series no LMP1 sports cars will be permitted to run anymore as of 2014.
    U.S. fans will be able to see the Audi R18 e-tron quattro soon again in the United States nonetheless. On September 22, the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) will visit the Circuit of the Americas in Austin (Texas).
    Quotes after the race
    Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): “That was a perfect finale! I’m very happy about this one-two victory in a race in which both of our cars battled against each other all the way to the finish and delivered a fantastic show to the many fans. The entire squad worked hard, so winning after a long twelve hours is the sweetest reward. After victories with TFSI and TDI technology, Audi on clinching the win today with a hybrid car has continued the success story at this race.”
    Ralf Jüttner (Technical Director Audi Sport Team Joest): “This is an outstanding result for what has at least provisionally been our last run here at Sebring. I’m happy about this one-two victory at which either of our two teams would have deserved first place. In the beginning, both cars were running on different strategies. At some point in time they were nearly in parallel and at the finish not even ten seconds apart. We’ve been enjoying the atmosphere here at Sebring with brilliant weather and unique fans. This victory is a nice reward for the whole squad some of whom worked through the whole night before the race and then delivered perfect pit stops for twelve hours straight.”
    Marcel Fässler (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1): “Celebrating Audi’s last race here at Sebring with a victory is simply fantastic. It was an incredibly close race in which both cars would have deserved to win. In the end, we were the slightly more fortunate ones. The pole position yesterday, victory today, great team-mates – things couldn’t be any better today.”
    Oliver Jarvis (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1): “What a start into the 2013 season! This isn’t a dream; it’s a lot more than that. Winning with Audi at Daytona already was an incredible experience. But now an overall victory on my first run at Sebring on top of that is more than I’d ever dared to hope for. A huge thank you to Audi and to Marcel (Fässler) and Ben (Tréluyer) – they’ve been the best team-mates I could imagine.”
    Benoît Tréluyer (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1): “We won the last race of the LMP1 sports cars at Sebring – we’re very proud of this. I think that the fans witnessed a thrilling race in which we had to give one hundred percent to beat our sister car. For us the American dream has come true today. Thank you to Marcel (Fässler) and Oliver (Jarvis) fora great week here at Sebring. Normally, André (Lotterer) is part of our team as well – I’m sure that he’d have been on top of the podium here too.”
    Lucas di Grassi (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “This was my first 12-hour race, my first race in the dark and my first run at Sebring – the podium position is a brilliant conclusion of the weekend. It was a very close race with a few incidents and a controversial penalty. More would have been possible for us but as far as I’m concerned the joy about the second place with Audi outweighs anything else.”
    Tom Kristensen (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “It was a memorable, tough and fast race. We had the chance ourselves to win today – but we didn’t make it. So, ‘well done’ to the guys from the ‘sister car’ and all other winners here at Sebring. Aside from our second place I’m taking a lot of memories home with me from all the years and the fastest race lap on today’s farewell. It’s for a man who has given me the passion for motorsport.”
    Allan McNish (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “What a fantastic race! We arrived here with Audi in order to say goodbye to our fans at Sebring with a thrilling performance – and I believe we managed to do that. It was a fierce battle from the first to the last lap. I’d like to congratulate the team of our ‘sister car.’ On a very personal note, I’m absolutely pleased with the race. Some of my stints were the best I can remember in the past few years.”

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    RISI FERRARI FINISH SECOND ON RETURN TO ALMS BUT DENIED FAIRY TALE FINISH AT SEBRING
    Sebring, Florida, March 16, 2013.* Until an hour before the end of the 61st Twelve Hours of Sebring, it looked as though Risi Competizione would pull off a fairy tale finish by clinching victory in the GT category.* As it was, the Houston-based team’s No.62 Ferrari 458 Italia crossed the finish line in second place, just 2.7 seconds behind the class winning No.4 Corvette.
    The Houston-based team, which has an illustrious history in the ALMS, was warmly welcomed back to competition by the paddock at large after a year away.* With its talented driver line up of Gianmaria Bruni, Olivier Beretta and Matteo Malucelli, Risi showed its intent to claim victory from the outset of this weekend’s race meeting.* Never out of contention during practice sessions and throughout the once-round-the-clock event, the drivers, team and its F458 performed flawlessly but were ultimately beaten to the checkered flag by the superior speed of the Corvette.
    Faultless and speedy pit work, no penalties, and a sensible strategy by both drivers and engineers put the Ferrari at the head of the field for several periods, the longest of which was for 92 laps in the final quarter of the race. Having pulled out a lead of 65 seconds, confidence was quietly building in the Risi pits until Bruni, who was due to take the finish at the end of a double stint, reported that he was experiencing back pain which led to a lack of feeling is his right leg.
    The change of plan saw ALMS newcomer Malucelli back in the cockpit for the final hour and, despite calm and controlled driving, he was being hunted down relentlessly by a menacing competitor who appeared to have an advantage over its rivals at each refuelling stop.* The 28-year-old Italian was put under intense pressure lap after lap and, with just seven laps to the finish, was passed by the Corvette.* The first two GT cars were the only ones to finish on the same lap and the gap of just 2.7 seconds after 12 hours of hard racing is demonstration of great competition to come for the remainder of the 2013 season.*****
    The disappointment at not winning was huge for all concerned, but there was some reward as the result for Sebring offered double points, which is vital for the season ahead, and the Risi team was awarded the Michelin Green X Challenge trophy for the GT category.
    Matteo Malucelli:* “It was quite hard, I just pushed and tried to do my best but sometimes it’s not enough. We finished second and the result is good points for the championship, a good start for me and Olivier; I’m sure we will win in the next few races.* When I was passed by Milner, I don’t know if I made a mistake or if there was some gravel on the track but honestly they were too fast for me to stay in front.”
    Gianmaria Bruni:* “I think today our rivals were very fast.* It’s happened to me in the past with Ferrari – sometimes you’re so fast and you win and sometimes you’re fast and you don’t.* I think Corvette here was more prepared than us, but it’s a great result for Risi and Ferrari.* This team hasn’t raced for one year and they just finished second behind the 2012 Champions.* I think there’s great potential during the season for Matteo and Olivier to just get better and better!”
    Olivier Beretta:* “I think for the whole group and for the Risi team it’s a good first result.* I’m really happy to race with them.* We’ve shown up and been competitive all week, including during the race.* We led for many laps and I’m happy.* First would have been better than second but everyone did a good job and I’m looking forward to the season.”**

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It was but it's pretty scary how few people could watch it on TV. Hopefully this will change next year under GA. If these races can't get a real TV package I don't see how sponsors will have much interest in supporting this racing series.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Another great Sebring. To bad this is the last year for Audi, and Toyota should have brought a car just to get beat by them :). The GT cars were the best show as they had real competition. Look forward to next years race.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    there are no sponsors-GT is all manufacturer money. everything else is gentlemen driver $$$

9. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #184 Str8shooter, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a great time at the track :D

I have to rough it camping in the back of my Jeep Cherokee for Friday and Saturday and I ran out of energy before dark fell on Saturday so I missed out on some night shots but by then I'd had enough anyway. Just a well rounded race weekend with lots to do and see. I will say that every time NASCAR was mentioned it was followed by grumbling. Lets hope the change will be for the better as I'd hate to see Sebring change much from what I experienced.

Here's a few pics and I'll post more as I get time to go through them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    What happened to the Delta Wing?

11. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Dropped a cylinder in the first hour.

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great pics as always :)

need more of the blonde :D:D:D

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Just returned from a 4 day weekend at Sebring. We rented an RV that was stationed and fronting the track between turns 4 and 5 where there is plenty of action. This vantage point allows you to see the cars at slower speeds before they jettison off to turn 6 under the bridge. This is a fun place to be for the race start when all the cars are bunched. I was hanging on the fence at the start when the 52 Molecule LMPC lost it at turn 4, spun, and came directly at me hitting the armco 20' away. My welcome to Sebring 2013!

Starting with P1........it's sad to see the Audis last time at Sebring. These turbo diesels are designed like space ships. They make only tire and wind noise.....no engine noise at all. It's eerie when they whoosh by. Did they have competition? Well the Muscle Milk and Toyota-Lolas were 2 seconds plus off the R18 pace. However the Audi teutonic drivers must have completely ignored team orders and ran toe to toe for 8 hours before the managers started separating them with pit stops. Six hours into the race they touched at turn 17 when the 1 was trying to overtake the 2 car. I can only imagine what the communication from the pits was like when this happened. "Der ****en drivers".......or something like that. Racers wanting to win overruled common sense. Afterwards they kept their respective noses clean and just ran off with the rest of the race. I would guess there were some terse words from the mgt to the drivers.

The GT race was everything a gearhead could hope for. Astons, BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsches and Vipers were all fairly evenly matched. All but the Pcars had their turn in the GT lead. However almost EVERY GT except the Risi 458 had mechanical issues. The 3 Corvette smoked some electronics. The 4 Vette also had some electrical gremlins and also was spotted a penalty for avoidable contact. The 91 Viper was the car to beat only to suffer from a traction control issue. The answer was to disconnect this driver aid. Imagine driving a Viper w/o traction control. They ran a great race regardless. Olivier Baretta in the Risi 458 was fast. He was the best of the Ferrari drivers by far. I remember when Bruni took over around hour 8. The Viper blew past him along with a train of 5 prototypes. It looked like the 458 was in reverse. Later he managed to pace the Viper which told me it was not the car that was the problem. It was Bruni. He was supposed to finish the race but hurt the team big time when he came in early. My buddies happened to be in the pits when the unscheduled driver change was made. Bruni was sweating up a storm and suffering from back problems when he gave up the wheel to Matteo Malucelli. The Ferrari had a 28 second lead that dwindled to 6.

At night from our vantage point you could see each car and how it hit the corners and powered down out of turn 5. When Baretta was driving the 458 did not flinch or twitch at all. When Malucelli was behind the wheel the car was all over the place. I kept thinking his tires were shot. But now I don't think he had the experience to handle the tough Sebring course. Tommy Milner in the 4 Corvette was consistent and had the hp to reel Malucelli in. And it worked. With Milner looming large in his mirrows Matteo lost it on turn 10 and spun giving the lead and the win to Milner and the Vette in the last 10 minutes of this 12 hour race. Being one of the few Ferrari guys in our compound I took a lot of ribbing from the BMW, Corvette and P guys. But they all admitted that Risi [after a one year hiatus] stood strong and made a solid opening to the season.

If you have never done Sebring put it on your list. Although not sure what will become of the P2/DP class races next year the GT will only be stronger. And this is where the action is. Come find us at turn 4 next year to see one great racing spectacle.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    How fast was the Delta Wing before it died?

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nowhere close to P1 speeds; should have been classified as a P2 IMO.

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I think next year it will be in GA/ALMS.

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep it will be in the catch-all class for DP, P2 (if they aren't hamstrung by the rules to keep DPs faster) and DeltaWangs. P1 gets the boot. PC stays on its own, and it's a good class, despite the oxymoron of "spec prototypes".

typing that makes me really depressed :(

18. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I see a photo of the CCR promo girls, Any photos of CCR support races?

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The Delta Wing looked decently fast in a straight line but rather than flicking it into
    turns, it appeared as though the drivers were looping it through the bends, and if
    they had to take a turn off line it lost a lot of momentum.

The other notable cars were the Rebellion Toyotas. They were quick but not in the
    same class as the Audis. Great looking cars with top drivers such as Heidfeld, Prost
    and Jani but they were on the ragged limit in the turns. You could actually hear the
    Rebellion's sliding through the turns, particularly in Turn 17 where their tires were
    notably protesting announcing their arrival.

A railbird noted this may have been a traction control issue as well.

Great time this weekend, nice to meet you Steve. Will be in touch.

BHW

20. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #197 Str8shooter, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  22. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thanks Barton....it was a pleasure to meet you too! And my thanks to both you and Bill for these excellent pictures. It was a fun time at Sebring. My son and a friend both raced Thursday and Friday in the Challenge Cup Racing with success in their 355 and 360. And that was followed by another classic 12 Hours of Sebring on Saturday. That's my idea of a weekend!

But Bill......next time can you please photoshop my bald spot out of the picture!

23. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Great race and fabulous pictures posted!
    I'm going to soak up as much as I can from the Series in person from Road America till the very end at Petit.