612 Vs. 550/575: owners experience? | FerrariChat

612 Vs. 550/575: owners experience?

Discussion in '612/599' started by maranello71, May 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    After reading raving reports on how well the 612 handles around corners and how fast it is on a straight line, I've been thinking that one day (in 2-3 years time, when residuals will be lower) I could think of buying one to replace the 550. I like the idea that I could still go on "fun driving holidays" even if we had a small child in the family... :) without having to leave the child behind!

Do any owners have experience of driving both 550/575 and 612? Is it true in your experience that the 612 is really as agile and fun to drive in the twisty roads? I find it incredible given its size and wheelbase, but it'd be nice to know that there is a way to combine "family car" and "supercar" without going for a "P-car"...

Makuono likes this.
  2. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Where are the 612 owners??? No-one wants to talk about their car??? I'm disappointed...

3. Johnny Prezemullo

Apr 24, 2006
    I was considering to buy the 612 and ended up with a 2005 575 F1 to overcome the time till my 599 will be delivered. I have driven the 612 several times including on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Both cars are very different in their driving manners.

The 575 is significantly heavier on the front axle due to the classic front position of the engine whereas the 612 feels much lighter to direct thanks to positioning the engine behind the front axle. My 575 with Fiorano handling package gives more feedback from the steering than the 612 does. I feel therefore better linked to any upcoming driving situations, especially in long fast curves, in the 575 than I do in the 612 even if the driving forces on the steering wheel reflect the weight of the 575 and the Fiorano package (different ratio of the steering). The 612´s light steering and the different weight distribution makes you forget the weight of the 612. I find the brakes of my 575 a little better than the one in the 612 thanks to the different brake pads of the Fiorano package.

Finally the 575´s acceleration is - out of my point of view - better than of the 612. The 612 is, in terms of bodily and mental input, easier to drive relatively fast than the 575. But if you come to serious fast driving then the 575 gives you more and instant response. This result is not a surprise respecting the time Ferrari had to "educate" the 575.

4. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    You asked for 612 owners who had specifically owned a 550/575 beforehand, there are about four or five 612 owners on this site (I'm one of them) and I'd not owned or driven a 550/575 before owning the 612.

You also stated in your original message that you have no intention of getting the car for another two or three years, did you think anyone would bother to answer you?

5. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I own a 456 and I've driven both the 550 and 612. All three of these cars are really GTs and not toss around sportscars. The 612 is definitely the quickest but I only drove a paddle shift car and not a 6sp. I will get a 612 manual in a couple of years when I can justify the upgrade to myself. I never understood the comparison between Porsche and Ferrari, they're like fire and ice.

6. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Why would no one answer him because he isnt buying it this second. Its a forum people talk and discuss not only pressing issues. I feel like you snapped for no reason so if you dont have anything nice to say then shut up.<thats the saying right

Longy likes this.
  7. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Yeah ok buddy.

8. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Yeah, what's the big deal? I just want to talk about cars - about cars which I think we all love and enjoy driving. If you don't enjoy talking to someone who's so far "below" your level then you're in the wrong forum. What should I say - I've ordered a 612 and by the way, what is it like to drive? Come off your throne, please. :( Some of us real enthusiasts like to talk about cars.

9. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I know that P-car and 612 couldn't be more different, but they do have something in common - you can travel with (small) kids as opposed to leaving them at home all the time! :D The only alternative I can think of is the future 500HP Maserati Coupe - IF it will handle as well as an F-car, and IF it will be as fast as any German competitor in a straight line.

10. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    bump...
    looks like its been a while since this was discussed so maybe more 612 jockeys out there now.

I too would like to know from people that have owned both what their impression is between a 575 and a 612. I currently own a 575 (and love it) but saw a gorgeous 612 today and considered trading out. I have not driven it (yet) so I'm really curious.

any 575-to-612 (or other way around) guys on here want to chime in on a comparison of the driving characteristics and ownership experience in general? it would be greatly appreciated!

11. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    I am interested in this as well. The 612 are starting to really depreciate and with another new members of the family I am starting to look at the 612. I love the 550 but the 612 seems to offer a great look, rear seat and loads of power.

Question:
    F1 or Paddle?
    Are they are bullet proof as the 550/575?

Clearly this is a personal decision but I would actually look at buying this car as a daily driver. This is something I would not do with my 355 or 550, at least not the 355, the 550 is pretty much a daily driver.

Any large issue to look out for on the 612(yes I have searched and found very little)

12. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    #12 Bronzage, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,

I am on the flip side of the discussion.....I own a 612....to be honest...my favorite F-car...I have to admit...My bro has a 430 and its a spectacular car to drive and is great...I had a 360...loved it...I drove a 550....amazing car...but settled for a 612 earlier this year. Very practical with the 2+2 set up....more power than you can use...and very very smooth....easy to drive fast. I am keeping my car...but am contemplating buying a 575 as more raw machine to ride around the town in.

I loved the raw feeling of the 550...its got a punchy feeling that the 612 doesnt...(its more linear...very smooth....and decieves you on your speed)

Let me know what you guys think, here is a pic of my 612...lets see some of your F-cars...and yes...we are all enthusiasts here...if anyone doesnt like our topic...close the page.

Later guys.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I'm on my second 612 - I had one of the firsts 612s (the fourth RHD car made!) and now have a Sessanta (see thread).

Firstly, my Sessanta (with HGTC pack) is a totally different car to my previous 612 - all aspects of the car have been improved, from handling to response to quality, and I am looking forward to driving it a lot more when the weather improves. I owned my first 612 for one year and 9000miles and drove it everyday (sun, snow or rain!) - it was 100% reliable and a joy to drive.

I have also previously owned both a 575 (manual, non-Fiorano) and a SuperAmerica (F1, Fiorano), both of which are very capable cars. They are excellent for both long journeys or fun cross country driving, and never any reliability issues. And I still think that the 575 is a great looking car, especially in black or silver. After all, is was the range-topping Ferrari for several years.

To compare them both, I would say that the 575 will always be a proper supercar whereas the 612 should always be considered as a 2+2 - the 612 is physically bigger which means that one has to think about where to place it on the road, and ultimately that may take the edge off its sportscar feel, although it handles superbly. Brakes are not an issue with the latest carbon ceramics, and it is as quick in a straightline as a 575. The F1 box is awesome and the noise is superb!

Economically, a 575 is always going to be cheaper than a 612, and if you don't need the rear seats then the 575 would deliver everything that the 612 would. And how about a SuperAmerica??

14. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have not owned a 612 but it would be high on my list if I lived in a place where I could enjoy it - it is too big a car to be any fun in Hong Kong. I have driven a 612 HGTC on the track and it is a fantastic car. IMO it is one generation ahead of a 575 HGTC. BTW the back seats in a 612 are a lot more comfortable than a Porsche

15. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    agree!

16. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    RTP and bronzage --

are the rear seats truly useful for an adult? i'm presuming the 612 is really the F version the quattroporte which should mean plenty of space...

i too amm thinking of one

17. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    Plenty of room in the rear seats - good enough for adults easily, and more room than a Bentley Continental GT!

18. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    RTB, etc

-- on the question of best colours for 612??

RTB what colour was your first 612?

i first thought black, dark blue, dark grey best -- but what of siilver and ingrid? there is a nice ingrid w/dark blue interiour FS right now in FL.

I like cuoio/tn interiors for warmth

as for the comment from the original poster : supercar and family car and Porsche???? like which model? the only porsche with a useful back seat is Cayenne TT. The super P's have no back seats....

BTW, RTB, we tried the rear seat in the Continental when it firstcame out... i would call it non-existent

19. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    612 all the way more powerfull more classy better handling

20. F9196

F9196 Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Hi, I'm wondering if you still have a 612. If you don't, for how many years did you keep it? And how many miles did you put on it?

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    He was last on the site nearly two years ago, so odds of getting an answer are pretty slim.

F9196 likes this.
  22. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have a 612 OTO HGT2 and a 2004 575M
    Although the 612 is bigger the engine behind the front axel makes it more neutral than the 575. It is a better car in every way than the 575.
    I also have a 2013 911S convertible.
    It is a bullet proof high performer it just doesn’t have the soul the F cars have
    I can’t speak to non OTO not non HGTC 612s but what I have is faster, smoother and handles better than the 575 AND it has room for 4 adults
    Drive like crazy on the track or curvy roads- turn the manitinno to soft and chauffeur your lover to dinner.
    Simply amazing!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. F9196

F9196 Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful cars and I absolutely agree with you on p-cars not having soul, having both marques too. May I know how many years you've had the 612 and how many miles you do a year averagely?

24. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have had the 612 about 2 1/2 years and driven it about 4K miles.
    No problems but I can’t figure out how to set the clock!

F9196 likes this.