612 or 599 | FerrariChat

612 or 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Harry Bradfield, Jan 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Harry Bradfield

Apr 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Harry Bradfield
    Several years ago my father got an urge for a V12 Ferrari and wavered between a 612 and a 599.
    Fortunately, given his advanced years, we steered him to a more " age suitable " Bentley GT.
    But during his search for a V12 Ferrari, we examined a lot of 612's and 559's that I got to know and them well and now have a desire to own one.
    I have located 2 one owner lowish mileage examples and am in a bit of a quandary which one to go for and hope you can give me some advice.
    First 599 is a 2008 model with 24k on the clock. The second 599 is a 2010 model with 45k on the clock.
    Both are priced so close it makes no difference.
    So, should I go for the younger model with the higher mileage or the older model with the lower mileage?
    All advice gratefully received.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Which spec do you prefer ?

Also if you plan to drive & warrant the newer will be able to have official warranty longer

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's kind of a toss up, but I'd go with the 2008 unless I preferred the colors or options on the 2010. You can't go wrong with either one. :)

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I like the 599 , the 612 Scag is not nearly as nice , just my 2 cents. I will look forward to seeing pictures ! Good luck

Thank you

C4YES likes this.
  5. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    6 years ago I was going to buy a 599 and went with a 612 instead. It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a 4 seat long distance cruiser, the 612. If you dont care about the rear seat and want a kick ass around town car, the 599. By the way, head to head, a 08 599 with 24K is worth more than a 10 612 with 45K, IMHO.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  6. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    For my first Ferrari (@ age 75), I went looking for a 599.
    When I saw the white 612 OTO next to a 599, I bought it and haven’t looked back.
    The 612 is too fast to fully exercise on the road. The 599 is faster- but only on the track.
    I can “live on the edge” on mountain roads during the day, set the manitino on soft, set the Bose on Dean Martin and take my wife and another couple to dinner at night.

NYC Fred, donv, Anthony James and 4 others like this.
  7. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Arriverderci Roma

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  8. Harry Bradfield

Apr 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Harry Bradfield
    This will probably sound like heresy so I apologize in advance. After what seemed like a lifetime of at times quite heated " discussions " between my mother and father a decision was reached. Your Ferrari days are behind you, you've missed the boat, get something sensible instead was her advice. Reluctantly my father toed the party line and bought a....Bentley GT! He loves it as does my mother plus the grand kids can easily fit in the back, so everyone's happy!

Pawilly and wax like this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No guts, no glory.

599_GTO and Pawilly like this.
  10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They made the right choice. "He loves it as does my mother plus the grand kids can easily fit in the back, so everyone's happy!"

Congrats, good luck with it, and enjoy it in good health!

11. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    That comment sparked a flashback from 1973. I was naval gunfire radio operator for my ship and we were on the range off Culebra Island near Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico for refresher. The range was live and two Marine Phantoms flew right across.. The Range Safety Officer made the comment, "Typical Marines.. No guts, no glory.."

12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The title says 612 or 599 but in your post it looks like you are only considering between two 599s.

Are you only considering the 599 or is a 612 still in the mix? Different types of cars and any recommendations would be more based on your intended use. I personally prefer the 599 but went for the 612 due to the back seat, making it a "family friendly" Ferrari. Now that my daughter is getting older and no longer wants to go with us to events, I'm thinking about selling the 612 an going for a 599 or F12.

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Peter, I think you missed post #8. :)

BTW, how is your fuel pump saga going?

14. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I thought he was referring to the Benthey in post #8.

Fuel pumps are done. Moving the tank was the major issue. Straight forward and easy after that.