612 HDT2 OTO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 HDT2 OTO

Discussion in '612/599' started by GWB, May 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Randy--

There weren't any "model" changes that I'm aware of after the OTO was introduced, but there were plenty of options to customize the cars, if that's what someone wanted.

As for the Bose stereo units, Ferrari started putting those into 612s in late 2007. That doesn't really correlate with the OTO-- the way you know you have an OTO is the manettino on the steering wheel and the glass roof.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #27 tazandjan, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Randy- We do not have good figures on the 08 US OTOs, but they were only built for about 5-6 months from Apr/May 2008, when the OTO was introduced, until Sep/Oct 08, when the US 09s came out. Starting sometime in 2007, all 612s were special order, so production dropped way down with no 612s pushed from the factory to the dealers. The factory was still doing OTO introductions in early 2009.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes I know about the glass roof, the manettino and the F1 Superfast being the markers of the OTO edition ie the gen 2 cars. But also the Bose systems were largely for those the OTO cars. Thus the maximum number of Bose systems was the maximum of OTO units manufactured and I had heard the number of Bose units was less than 1,000. So it would seem there were less than a total of 1,000 OTO cars as some were used in the Sessanta, other 07 and non 08 OTO cars and likely some were also spare parts. But it is difficult to determine how many cars of each year were made for the US and ROW, unless there is a Ferrari sight that makes that kind of information available by model and year?

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Mine was one of the first US OTOs, finished in late June.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Could be the 08 US OTO production was over an even shorter period, then. The OTO OMs did not come out until nearly CY 09, as near as I can tell. Did yours come with an OTO OM or one of the earlier ones? Even the OTO OMs still said they had a single plate clutch, which of course was incorrect.

6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have another question. I have the build sheet on my car VIN ZFFJB54A080163095 which has a warrantee start date of 6/22/09 (I don’t see a build /completion date on it). I also have the window sticker for the car and no build date either. Why is the car a 08 rather than 09? If all OTO cars were special order cars and not just pushed out dealers it would seem to be built in 2009 since the production for the 08 OTO model year started April/May 08 ending 5/6 months later October/November? Any thoughts?

Perhaps just more of the Ferrari mystique?

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm pretty sure mine just came with an addendum to the regular manual.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Look at the sticker on the door frame. That will tell you when it was completed. Ferrari doesn't play the model year game, so if it was finished on 12/31/08, it's a 2008. If it was finished on 1/1/09, it's a 2009.

Mine is 161202, I'm going to guess that 163905 would have been completed in late 2008. Possibly someone was unable to take delivery in late 2008? After all, as I recall, there was a bit of economic upheaval around that time...

9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Don – Thanks, I checked the door frame and I could barely make out the date September 2008. While the car is very low use 7,500 miles but the sticker looks like it is over 30 years old. You are probably correct about the person ordering the car not being able to take the delivery because of the recession. They likely sold it to someone else after it sat in the dealer show room for several months which would account for the warrantee start date of 6/22/09. I think the former owner did not have a money problem as he was a airline board chairman. He sold my car last August to buy an FF go figure.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Ferrari did use model years for US/Canadian Ferraris. Mine is a November 03 575M and is an 04 MY and there were even earlier 04s. Dates varied for the changeover for each MY and even from model to model. For the 97 GTA, US production started in Summer 1996, as an example, but all Superamericas sold here were 05 MY, even those produced in December 2005. Confusing.

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Technically, every manufacturer who sells in the US has to designate a model year for their cars. Ferrari has typically done it by calendar year, but in some cases, if they need to game the rules, they will designate it in some other way.

How can you tell that your 575M is a "2004" and not a "2003?" Does that appear in any official Ferrari documentation?

In the case of the 456, there were no "1996" 456s sold in the US, because of a regulatory change (OBD-II, I think), so Ferrari just sold 1995s, and then when they had an OBD-II solution, they introduced that and called it a "1997" because they had to re-certify it anyway.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #37 tazandjan, May 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don- For US cars, Ferrari has typically not done it by calendar year in the US, but by model year, and there are only general rules on when a manufacturer can designate a model as the next year's model. This is why you see a lot of spring/summer introductions of next year's models.

There were no 96 MY 456s because US EPA mandated fitting OBDII on all US cars sold after 1 January 1996. Motronic 5.2 was not ready by then for the 456, although it was for the bread and butter F355, Ferrari's highest priority. So as soon as they were ready (all GTAs were 5.2), Ferrari introduced them as MY 97s.

Here is the build sheet on my MY04 575M. The door data plate states she was built in November 2003, and there were earlier MY04s. This is normal practice for Ferrari. Ferrari fitted a 50 Years of Chinetti emblem on all US Ferraris built in CY 2004, but mine did not have it because she was built in 2003. There are also US MY 05 Ferraris built in 2004 with the 50th emblem, too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Randy,

This thread contains the info I was looking for, thanks...

14. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hey Moe, in what way is it different apart from the gearbox? I’d be interested in your opinion here as they should be quite similar on paper if you exclude the gearbox. I have visions of a base 612 with a manual conversions and all the OTO suspension and brake upgrades....

15. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    randkin likes this.
  16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Good luck finding the roll bar; think they’ve been NLA for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    According to my dealer, I recently bought the last enhanced anti roll-bar in the world.

18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I know! I've still not forgiven you! ;)

360Marnix likes this.
  19. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Is the roll bar something you could get reproduced or is there some Maranello witchcraft involved in the original process?

20. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Swap it for a complete manual conversion kit! :)

21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Its certainly not witchcraft- its's just thicker (by 1.5mm if I remember correctly) than the standard one. There are companies that you can go to for custom anti-roll bars; an after market ARB made by H&R actually exists for the 599, just not for 612. You would need to have a minimum order though to make the costs sensible.