612 fuel smell | FerrariChat

612 fuel smell

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, May 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 TrojanFan, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    I'm getting a strong fuel smell in my trunk and also if I drive with the windows open. Not much while driving with the windows closed. Also have a smell in the cabin if the car has been sitting in the sun with the windows closed. Had what seemed to be an fuel pump issue on one side a while back before the smell issue but that seems to have gone away as have driven over 400 miles with no return problem other than the smell.

No dripping or leaks noticed under the car. Friend had similar on his 360 and it was a gasket around the one of the fuel pumps. Anyone else have this issue? It looks like I have to drop the tank to get to the gaskets if that is the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Quiet sure it are the gaskets of your fuelpumps.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn J9210 met Tapatalk

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Peter- Cracked fuel pump covers are common, and so are leaking roll-over valves.

Hawkeye, Makuono and Mirek like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Here (see photo) is probably your problem. I had all the same symptoms, fuel smell but no leaks under the car (the panels mask that). The plastic cap over one, and maybe even both, of your fuel pumps has likely cracked. The apparent good news is the replacement is much better than the original. Even if this turns out not to be your problem, I would not drive the car until you find out the source of the fuel leak.

The photo shows the gas streaming out of my fuel pump cap on my 2008 612 OTO in October, 2015 at 16,309 miles. Today at 47,847 no problems.

BTW, once this happened I now keep a halotron fire extinguisher in both my Ferraris.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Replacement caps and gaskets from Ferrari or is there an better aftermarket product?

Makuono likes this.
  6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well if your leak is from the same spot as my photo, you will have to replace #2, the fuel pump and #4 the gasket (#3 should be fine). My cost was $655 for the right hand pump and $30 for the gasket. The left hand pump (depicted in your diagram) is actually a little less because it doesn't include the fuel gauge lever. Of course this is 2015 prices, your results may vary.

brogenville likes this.
  8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Curious to find out if part number 2 has cracked, or whether the o-ring on the fuel pipe connector has just let go? I suspect its the former, but if it's the latter, you might be able to fix the leak with a 50c o-ring.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Robin, 50c o-ring? Read my post again, it was $30, probably £50 to you! :D

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yup this has been a Ferrari problem uncorrected by Ferrari since the 1st 550 at least. The gift that keep on giving....

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I was getting at the little o-ring that there will be on the fuel pipe connector, as opposed tot he big o-ring to seal the fuel pump to the tank.

I suspect this is wishful thinking though!

12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm not going to know anything until I pull the tank. Oh joy! I have another car up on my rack at the moment so it maybe a couple of weeks before I can get to it.

Does anyone that the dimensions on the tank, mainly the height? My rack only lifts about 24".

Paul, how were you able to see the leak on your tank while it was in the car? Did you pull the panel and access through the trunk?

Makuono likes this.