612 fuel smell | FerrariChat

612 fuel smell

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, May 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm getting a strong fuel smell in my trunk and also if I drive with the windows open. Not much while driving with the windows closed. Also have a smell in the cabin if we car gas been sitting in the sun with tje windows closed

No dripping or leaks noticed under the car. Friend had similar on his 360 and it was a gasket around the one of the fuel pumps. Anyone else have this issue? It looks like I have to drop the tank to get to the gaskets if that is the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Damage to the connectors on the fuel pump covers would be my top guess; think this used to be quite a common issue with these cars, though you don't hear too much of it these days.

Either way remove all the trim covering the fuel tank and you should get enough access to see where the fuel is coming from. Its part of the work required to remove the fuel tank anyway, which doesn't look to be that bad a job.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Damage to the connectors on the fuel pump covers would be my top guess; think this used to be quite a common issue with these cars, though you don't hear too much of it these days.

Either way remove all the trim covering the fuel tank and you should get enough access to see where the fuel is coming from. Its part of the work required to remove the fuel tank anyway, which doesn't look to be that bad a job.

4. Brian Hoban

Brian Hoban Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    London
    I had the same issue, popped it into Autoficcina, I had a dreadful fuel smell, worse with window open. They opened up the area to top of fuel tank, failure of fuel pump covers and connectors, petrol actually sloshed out around rear seats. Autoficcina sorted it out - ridiculous that it should have failed, and create such a hazard.

5. scottmc

scottmc Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    sunnyvale, ca
    Full Name:
    scott mcclean
    I had the exact same problem. Turned out to be the gas cap. Replaced and after a few days the fuel smell was gone. I did have to leave the trunk open overnight to help it air out.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Seems like they only update the fuel pump covers after they see too many leaks. Common for all late Ferraris.