612 dash leather shrinkage | FerrariChat

612 dash leather shrinkage

Discussion in '612/599' started by sierra-papa, Jan 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Hello folks

I’m new here and potentially looking at a 612 purchase this year.

Re dash leather shrinkage, is the attached photo an example of this? or should i expect worse?

I’m UK based, so perhaps we get it less worse over here?

Thanks for insights.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The piece covering the air bag looks the worst I have seen. From the photo I can't tell how much has receded from the area at the base of the windshield/windscreen. What is the condition on the rear deck? That area also shrinks.

sierra-papa likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    None of the photos showed the two areas I mentioned. I would ask for photos, or even better, view the car in person. However, even if there is shrinkage, just use it as a bargaining point. The leather shrinkage is a universal problem. Even if you found a 2005 without now, it will eventually have it. :)

BTW, the car looks great.

sierra-papa likes this.
  4. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Thanks again - I’ll try and search out some pics of the problem areas.

That car does look good, however in my case it would have to live outside and not sure black would be the best choice for this.

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Keeping it outside is very doable. Apply a quality ceramic coat like CarPro CQuartz UK Edition, and then use a high quality outdoor cover (I recommend the Covercraft WeatherShield HD).

Just be sure the car is clean each time you put the cover on.

sierra-papa likes this.
  6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I agree with Paul. If apart from the shrinkage the car is a good car then look at the shrinkage as an opportunity and factor it into the price of the car. It happens to all 612s. I replaced my dash (which had very minor shrinkage) and used it as an opportunity to customize my dash and steering wheel to suit me and have a unique look. You are probably looking at $5K (at least in the US) to have a really good job done.

sierra-papa likes this.
  7. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Thanks again chaps - is the piece covering the airbag (?) easily reparable?

I’d be interested to hear from any UK owners who have experienced this issue.

Based on the UK prices I’m seeing, i won’t have as much of a buffer as I’d like for enhancements.

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    As Paul said, it’s hard to tell from the pictures how bad the shrinkage is. But the airbag cover is really, really bad and therefore I would assume that the front of the dash next to the windshield and the front air vents is also really bad. If that’s the case then the whole dash will need to be replaced. I doubt this will be a situation where you could simply replace the part over the airbag.

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #10 brogenville, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021

This looks pretty bad to me, especially for a UK car, which in my experience don't seem to be nearly as badly affected by dash shrinkage and sticky buttons (in general) as the US cars. Perhaps its the silver lining from the lack of sunlight we get here!

I'd also note that the Pininfarina badge on the dash isn't meant to be there, and it looks like there is a GPS antenna on the top of the dash just next to the passenger side A-pillar. The stereo looks standard, so the GPS antenna (if that's what it is), should be under the top of the dash. Maybe evidence that the dash has been out at some point?

sierra-papa likes this.
  10. Mamich

Mamich Karting

Mar 29, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Zed
    you can call a company called btrim on 0208 804 1621 very nice guys and super helpful speak to John and he will assist you, they are based in Enfield EN3 4TY. I had a similar issue but with my California and just to give you and idea, Ferrari wanted £11k plus VAT and they did an excellent job for me for half that price and much more work than what Ferrari quoted for but I used Alcantara for the dash board instead of leather, but the work they did was not just the dash it was pretty much everything except the two seats because all the leather bubbled for some reason.

wish you all the best

sierra-papa likes this.
  11. demus_uk

demus_uk Rookie

May 5, 2017
    HI sierra-papa

I can't give you insight in the shrinkage, however, in Summer '19 bought a 612 (based in UK). During that journey, I learnt,

1. Buy the best you can. Out of morbid curiosity, I still monitor the 612 prices regularly and potentially seen better spec'd cars for the same money.
    2. Research the actual seller and car maintenance history, i.e. who did what and when. Sadly not all are equal.
    3. Get a PPI

While I am unlikely to sell my car (I still have got my first car from 20+ years ago!), the above may help protect your purchase and enjoyment.

I used Walkersport for my PPI and Tim was absolutely amazing in hand-holding me through it all.

I hope this is of some use and if nor just ignore!

Good luck and let me know if I can help as 612 owners (in the UK) are a rare breed :)

Cheers
    Essex a county in southeastern England on the North Sea and the Thames estuary More (Definitions, Synonyms, Translation)

sierra-papa likes this.
  12. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Thanks all for your feedback.

I have taken a deposit on the Vantage, so hopefully will shortly start my search more seriously.

I called 4 star classics today re their TDF example - i love the colour combo and apparently the leather is fine.

I’m not allowed a test drive in the current situation, which is a shame as you’d think there won’t be too many touch points other than door handle, steering wheel, paddles, and centre console. I may still go and look (ogle) at it as its relatively close.

https://www.4starclassics.com/for-sale/ferrari-612-scaglietti-for-sale/

13. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    That car looks to be pretty good in the pictures but you have to see it live. It would be considered a little high mileage (all the dealers over here seem to think the threshold is about 20,000 miles). If it’s shown in kilometers it’s about 25,000 miles US and the price is about US$85,000. So it certainly would be in the ballpark in the US pricewise.

Obviously you have to check it out and see how you like it. It has the same wheels as mine and while most people like the challenge wheels better, I actually do like these wheels. Also, it has a black dash which I think is important. I had a tan dash and the glare drove me nuts. So that is an advantage.

Obviously you would want to make sure it’s been fully serviced including belts and have a PPI done. On the whole it looks like a worthy acquisition and I am sure you will enjoy driving it.

sierra-papa likes this.
  14. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Thanks for your feedback

This car has only had 7 service stamps, which seems a bit low for a 15 year old car. However, i like the colour scheme more than i thought it would. The 612 seems to lend itself to darker colours.

Saying that, the one below also appeals based on colours and history, but the rear bumper alignment is way off on one side - in fact I’m surprised they photographed it that way, which has my spidey senses twitching.

https://www.shiltechperformancecars.com/sales/3047/

I will add that if a 40k mile example is deemed “high miles” and affect re-sale, i may ditch the idea of a 612 altogether. My Aston is similar - anything over 30k and buyers hesitate. Crazy

15. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I am not saying that you should not buy a higher mileage 612, I am just saying that in the US if you get over 20K miles people consider it high mileage and there is a discount probably in the area of about $10 to 20K. Blue is considered one of the better colors on the 612. For reference purposes here is a blue one that recently sold here on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-ferrari-612-scaglietti/

You should read the comments section on the car. It is a good education on the car and potential issues. Generally speaking the issues are service records and ensuring that the belts have been replaced on time, clutch wear, making sure it has undergone annual maintenance and leather “stickies”. You really need to make sure you look closely at these issues and get a PPI. These cars do wear well and I have not had any major repairs in 6 years of ownership but they can become quite expensive if they are not properly maintained.

In terms of the drive, if you have not driven one, you need to. I have not driven a Vantage but I have driven a 2016 Vanquish, so I will share my impressions and perhaps it compares to the Vantage. I think the 612 is a much better driver than the Vanquish. Both handle well but the 612 was much more refined than the Vanquish from a drivers perspective. The Vanquish seemed much more “raw” and noisy and less dampened. It felt much more like a track car to me than a comfortable GT car. For me, that was a negative but of course for some that could be a positive. Also in driving the Vanquish the windshield pillars were much more pronounced and I felt a little claustrophobic and enclosed. The 612 feels much more “open” from a drivers perspective.

sierra-papa likes this.
  16. Mamich

Mamich Karting

Mar 29, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Zed
    http://www.joemacari.com/All-Cars-for-Sale/_prod_Ferrari-612-Scaglietti-OTO_4719.htm

This one looks good and they will drop the price I am sure of as its probably a part exchange and been on there website for some time, and they will probably add a service, warranty etc, just a thought.

when I bought a 599 GTB from them I really pushed them on prices extra and as part exchange they probably paid £70 K for it.

I hope its helpful info

Stay safe everyone

sierra-papa and RonH like this.
  17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #18 RonH, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Zed, that is one of the prettiest 612s I have ever seen. The darker grey is generally viewed as the best color on the 612 (though of course I like my red). This is a unique darker grey which is even better. It is also an OTO with lower mileage and 20 inch challenge wheels. All pluses on the value side. In the US this car would be worth probably 20 to 30K more than the blue one that the OP was looking at.

18. Mamich

Mamich Karting

Mar 29, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Zed
    Hi RonH
    to be honest if I had spare cash I would have gone for it as I believe the 612 is a timeless piece and it just gets prettier and prettier year by year or maybe I am just getting older and older :)

what I like about this car and dealing with the show room they don't like things sitting there too long as stock and knowing them they would have picked it up very cheap and they may also sell it at a loss just to move them because I know they were stuck with 3 x 812 as everyone wanted the GTS version and they sold them for £235,000-£240,00 just to move them with only delivery milage.

Good luck to anyone in the UK if they go for it

Camp Freddie, sierra-papa and RonH like this.
  19. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    I like the exterior colour on that one, but the interior....not so sure, it looks more like a Bentley to me

the colour scheme on this really works for me - shame it’s a CatD, meaning to the US guys it’s had an insurance claim against it. Plus the price has just risen 10k!
    https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10555218?cId=10850852&cId=10750162&cId=11167982&cId=10992551&cId=9888206&cId=11176213&cId=11107688&cId=8794217&cId=10152586&cId=10694213&cId=10016817&cId=10897181&cId=10791181&cId=10555218&cId=10876389&cId=10969253&cId=11212577

20. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    @RonH thanks re your driving impressions and the bat link; I do need to drive one, but based on your comments, I may find it too refined.

the v12 vantage was far too quiet, except for a bunch of exhaust noise, which is ok to some, however I prefer to hear intake and induction too - no such luck and if you found the vanquish less refined than the 612, I may find the 612 too quiet.

21. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You will enjoy the exhaust note of the HGT2 package which is far better than the standard exhaust note. Mine has the HGT2 package and I have compared it right next to the standard 612 - no comparison.

Camp Freddie likes this.
  22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    BINGO!

23. sierra-papa

sierra-papa Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Thanks both - is the engine audible at all?

Noise is all very subjective in terms of quality - the vantage was similar with lots of people saying the v12 sounds fantastic, but it’s only really the exhaust you can hear. No engine (insert sad face emoji)

24. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #25 RonH, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    It is definitely more muted in the cabin of the 612 than the Vanquish and therefore I assume the Vantage. As I said, my impression of the Vanquish was it seemed more of a track car and did not have much in the way of interior sound insulation. Personally not something I would have wanted to drive on a long trip. But to each his own. You really need to drive one to get the total feeling for the car. I really thought I wanted the Vanquish until I drove it (one of the most beautiful cars in the world IMHO), but the “rawness” and the claustrophobic feeling when in the drivers seat because of the windshield pillars did me in. It is a totally different feeling car to drive than a 612. If you like the feeling of your Vantage and are trying to replicate it, I suspect you won’t like the 612.

In the meantime you may want to go onto the BAT website and look at prior sales of 612s. There are quite a few with driving videos. Here are 3 as examples. I would say the third probably is the closest to “typical” interior sound. But of course sound is only part of the driving experience.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-ferrari-612-scaglietti-2/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ferrari-612-scaglietti-14/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ferrari-612-scagliati-f1-3/

Pawilly and sierra-papa like this.