612 CPO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 CPO

Discussion in '612/599' started by cls, Dec 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Photocopy of compression test was included, nothing on the clutch. According to the Ferrari booklet I received, the only tests required to be included are a compression test and battery test.
    My CPO included:
    Ferrari Approved Checklist A
    -Exterior Condition Check (items 1-33)

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As Harry Belafonte sings,

"It was clear as mud
    but it covered the ground
    and the confusion
    made me head go round".

That makes me head go round even more. Can you get a Carfax on this car? That might help you see if either the belts were done, or at least maybe where it has been serviced so you can contact them. Another option is to ask the dealer who the previous owner(s) were and contact them.

3. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There are always some issues with a used car of any kind. They always need something. I always buy my Ferraris with a fresh fluid and belt service (if they have them).

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Here's the reply from the selling dealer:

"the timing belts were replaced January 21,2011 and would not have been due to be replaced again to activate the CPO when this car was delivered.
    The fluids and filters were replaced at this same date and mileage and would not have been bad after being parked on the showroom floor on display.

The clutch showed only 17% wear when last inspected June 2013 and the brakes showed apx. 60% wear in the front and 40% wear in the front and were not
    replaced since they were not worn enough to justify replacement.
    The front and rear tires had plenty of tread and were 8/32 thickness of tread in the fronts and 8/32 in the rear.
    Wiper blades were checked and were deemed o.k. at the time and usually when they are cracked we replace them and may have overlooked this ?
    Battery was tested and was good but low on charge from sitting on the floor and had a final charging prior to delivery so it is very possible the car
    left with a less than perfect battery."

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well now doesn't this thread seem completely unnecessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How so?
    6 year old tires, bad battery, bad fluids, service light on, the car still cost me $4k to get drivable when received and that's without replacing the tires.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ahh..I thought you were indicating a proper major service had been done with the belts. Sorry, forgot the inspection indicated the brake fluid was bad. Not surprised by the rest. My batt was bad too at purchase. I actually spent about the same in unanticipated expenses getting it sorted, $10k all told. Actually had about $6k unanticipated expenses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    So a couple of thoughts:

I would get copies of these service records (2011 belt change etc) and copies of these details of the inspection (these are the measurements I have been expecting the inspection to have documented).

Re belts - I think you are up to date and thus no CPO issue.

However, I think you may have a case to make with the dealer and FNA for the over due fluids. You should check if the CPO requires that fluids be up to date per the the service book...you may have have been sold a CPO car without by the book fluids. Perhaps that is an angle to get some relief from the dealer...

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    At least the belts should have a couple of years left.
    Time to drive it hard and get it to blow up before the powertrain warranty expires.

My opinion is the dealer did the least possible to prepare this car for sale. Fluids at least should have been changed on a car that had it's last service 2 1/2 years before. The dealer's statement that fluids don't go bad on a car that sits, well...

Worst case: the car is up to date now, and I'll rev with impunity.

10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    General note - this is why a PPI is a must for me when buying a Ferrari. I found similar stuff with my CS during the PPI and then negotiated a price that took this info into account (and the seller actually did some of the work before delivery).

I understand how a buyer could expect a CPO car to arrive in great shape and not requiring $$ to be current and drivable. Sadly that is not always reality and we are dealing with used car dealers here (fancy logo on the sign or not). The saying "buyer beware" exists for a reason...these are six figure purchases...spend the $500 on a PPI to get some (albeit not perfect!) information to assist with this very material dollar purchase. My first attempt at buying a Ferrari (from an authorized dealer) taught me this lesson in spades...the PPI revealed collision repair that the dealer claimed ignorance of and car fax did not mention. Best $200 I ever spent...that PPI saved me big money and aggregation.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That statement in regard to your 612 is false. And dangerous. The brake fluid gums up with time regardless of mileage and can lead to catastrophic failure.

My 612 became consistently smoother with heavy usage for a few months before kinda leveling off. Still likes to be run every three days at least. Just a thought, rather than trying to blow the motor, ease her into it :)

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I agree about this fluid issue. If this dealer knowingly sold a Ferrari with 2.5 year old fluids, that demonstrates a complete lack of regard for the customer IMHO.

I would not give my business to a dealer that did so.

And the insulting crap about fluids not wearing from sitting for years is...(insert profanity filter here).

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That had to have been written by a salesperson. No Ferrari mechanic would say such a thing.

14. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    I'm curious, what constitutes "collision repair"? Are you talking about more than panels and paint?

I'm asking because lots of people incorrectly assume that a painted bumper or door panel means collision repair. To me, paintwork causes me to inspect a potential purchase more closely, but if no evidence of structural or frame issues, it almost never dissuades me from a purchase (if the paintwork was done perfectly).

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Apparently that's from the service manager.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you brought in your own Ferrari that had not been driven much and had 2.5 years on the last fluid change, the service manager would browbeat the crap out of you for neglecting recommended maintenance.

They just did not want to spend any money on the 612 before they sold it. Neatly bypassing the CPO requirements. FNA might be interested in that.

17. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well, the selling dealer has stepped up and is at least paying for the fluid service and, laughably, wiper blades. It took quite a bit of back and forth though.

As it turns out, they provided a receipt for the PS rack replacement performed a few months before I bought the car. That was the source of the leak that brought me to the dealer in the first place. That's a good thing, since I was driving around with 2 1/2 year old brake fluid...

18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks great news, glad the dealer did the right thing.

19. LimoParty

LimoParty Rookie

May 16, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Robert
    WOW. Glad I've come across all this. PPI for me. So many things to worry about whether i pay 50,000 90,000 or 120,000.

20. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Limo Party, reading your other threads and came across this thread. Total agreement, how can a Ferrari dealer sign off on a CPO if it is anything less then perfect.