6 Speed Conversion | FerrariChat

6 Speed Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by rsmitchell10, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsmitchell10

rsmitchell10 Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Atlanta
    Seriously considering converting my 06 F430 from F1 to 6 speed manual. There's a company in San Antonio who has done it with their Scuderia and several other base 430's for other customers. Any thoughts?

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The parts are impossible to find. And some are no longer available through Ferrari

3. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
  4. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Just buy a 6-speed manual, it will probably be cheaper and unlike the hack/conversion will retain and appreciate in value.

5. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Think its $30k from the San Antonio guys. Not cheap but actually not that bad if you consider that a clutch / flywheel job will run you $8k which would be fresh post conversion. So $22k net if its clutch time anyway.

If you have a clean 430 and think its a keeper I say go for it. I’d just consider it a mid life refresh, knock out any other maintenance items while you are in there and when you get it back its kind of like a new car.

Need4Spd likes this.
  6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Im not sure anyone would say its a hack. This conversion can only be done with oem parts. And also 30k to convert is ridiculous. I know, ive done it 2 years ago to my car that i drive almost everyday. Heck Id do it for 10k but im to busy. Converting is cut and dry. Everything is bolt up as the car was built to be a manual or F1

RANDY6005 likes this.
  7. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Ferrari factory is making it VERY difficult (impossible) to obtain the parts. Don’t ask me how I know.

8. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I get emails constantly from people looking for parts and to convert. It's not going to happen unless you find a wrecked car.

9. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Is this specific to 6-speed conversion or is Ferrari just not interested in supporting the older stuff?

Part of the reason porsche has such a loyal following (I am one of them) is that all the old stuff can be bought and enjoyed without much hassle when stuff needs to be replaced. Keeps the nostalgia alive. Surprised if Ferrari wouldn't want to do the same.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    There are some parts that will have to be made. Includes the clutch pedal and some parts on the shift assembly. They simply aren't any on the market anywhere on earth. None. Looked into it to have a spare kit.. If you take that route you'll have to have some parts made.

11. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    There has got to be a business opportunity for anyone with a machine shop to make up some of the parts. Plenty of us want to do the conversion, very few of us are writing off stick 360/430's to be parts donors.

recoil likes this.
  12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Pretty sure the guys doing the swaps have scanned the parts for reproduction. So no worries on supply.

I don’t know if the repro’s are cast or machined al.

RANDY6005 and Robb like this.
  13. rsmitchell10

rsmitchell10 Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Atlanta
    This company makes many of the parts...cast and CNC billet aluminum from what I understand.

14. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Engineer here with access to full machine shop (CNC, lathes, ect) I have a F430 F1 and would be interested in a converting project, if only for the fun of doing it. I don't have any issues with the F1 system, enjoy it thoroughly in my daily driver. Anyone want to develop a parts list together, try to source parts, and parts not purchasable, I can machine?

fungui and Caphill like this.
  15. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just received a list of parts needed. I can forward.

I'm interested in this as well.

Steve

16. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Please send, I'll start looking around for sources for the parts and share results, if you know of any parts that are not available to purchase, let me know and I'll start looking into fabricating them. I do have access to metal additive manufacturing but I rather avoid that route if possible because it is costly in both time and money. I'm hoping a CNC machine is all we'll need.

fungui likes this.
  17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #17 Rifledriver, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    A little of both. Ferrari hates the idea of people modifying the cars and goes out of the way to prevent it. Also they really have little interest in supporting older cars

Texas Forever and Themaven like this.
  18. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Here's another observation. We are already seeing evidence of the F430 is coming down in price. As the price comes down on these cars and it will, it would not be cost effective to make these parts from scratch. It would cost a ton a money. There are a lot of parts. About 20 or more just in the shifter. I can't see putting 25-30 thousand dollars into converting a car that's worth a hundred grand. Now if it could be done for half of that lets say 15k Then that's a different story

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The parts that cross over to other models may be more worth while. Like those that may be applicable to 360/430/575. Not sure what that might be. I see this as more in demand as time goes by price depending. It could help support prices too if it is considered a viable alternative. The older 360 and 430 F1 cars get the more those systems will need expensive repairs to actuators or valve assemblies.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I believe that's true also. The F1 cars will eventually have more failures as they age. However I still don't think anybody's going to pay $25,000 or $30,000 to convert. It doesn't cost nearly that much to fix a f1 system. As far as crossovers go the F430 needs a few extra parts to convert that the other cars don't have.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Potential clients will need to be do it yourselfers. Paying to have it done will not be worthwhile.

The fact that so few have been done shows how few were willing to pay even when prices were higher and parts more available.

22. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#22 LorenzoR, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    I agree. Exactly my point. Ill add that few have been done because parts are hard to get.

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    If you have access to a gated car the critical bits can be measured and duplicated.

a 3 pedal swap kit would sell

I’m thinking of picking up a beater auction 360 f1 car for a track rat minimalist singer inspired build — lighter than a cs w 3 pedals

coil overs
    Bbk
    Recaros
    Zero extra sound deadening or interior trim
    Street legal stripped hpde stick car
    Hoping some cost can be offset by selling interior.

Everything mentioned above about mfg the 3 pedal parts has been done.

Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Also FYI- there is a gated 360 spyder for sale at
    Auto Gallery Chicago
    For 69
    32k miles

no affiliation

if you wanted to buy a specimen for rd purposes.

then sell it.

Some examples of these cars are getting cheap.

25. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Id do it while you still can. 28K is a drop in the bucket considering the long term costs you're going to have with the F1. How fun will it be when Ferrari stops making the parts for the F1 system since its obsolete. As the other say, with the discontinuation of parts soon the conversion will also be NLA. That's my 0.02. This only makes sense if you plan on keeping the car for a while. 360 manuals are still reasonably priced but a F430 stick is a HUGE premium, a lot more than 28k... only difference is your VIN will say its an F1 car...

one4torque and kes7u like this.