5th Gear | FerrariChat

5th Gear

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sigmacars, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Can you change the 5th Gear so you can drive for long distances at a lower RPM not often I need 5 Gear in the city so 500-700 rpm less would be jus fine

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I think the answer is that it would be very difficult to achieve what you want in the gearbox.

If you could just swap one cog in the box (and I don't think you could) then you would mess up the spread of the gear ratios, It would be quite odd to drive with a big jump from 4th to 5th.

A nice simple solution would be a different set of drop gears (which I think the thing could take) but these only ever existed to make the gearing shorter for track use, not longer (as far as I know).

If you really wanted to change the overall gearing then the simplest way is probably to do something with tyre & wheel sizes - but of course you will mess up your speedo / odo (and maybe other things too).

I never really understood why the gear ratios seemed just a little bit short as they do in every day use until I drove thing up & down some mountains in France/ Switzerland & Italy - at which point it all made perfect sense.

In truth, that's what they were designed for, not long highway runs.

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    taller tyres would work-- otherwise have a custom 5th gear made and matching 4th/5th cluster gear