599 Position Light Scud Ing problem | FerrariChat

599 Position Light Scud Ing problem

Discussion in '612/599' started by mgilman, Mar 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    I recently purchased and installed the Scud Ing 599 LED DRL position lights. All wiring checked. However, when voltage is applied by the headlight switch, the DRL's only turn on for 2-3 seconds and then shut off. Anyone else have this problem?

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Did you go back to Scud Ing? They seem very happy to help when I have talked to them.

3. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Gents,

I inquired from Ferrari SB about changing my 599's DRL from the dreary original lamps to bright white LED to match the Xenon headlights and the Service Manager noted from experience that it created electrical issues and dashboard warning so they wouldn't recommend doing it.

However, I read somewhere in this forum that matching LED electrical specs to the original lamps somehow allow that trick to work. From your experiences, is that switch worthwhile to follow?

I'm very interested because the left side DRL has burned out, which of course triggered a "Lamp Failure" warning.

Thanks.

4. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    Hi George- I have tried to email Stefan but no response.

5. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    I had the same issue. Now concerned that I need to pull out the lights as it may be an electrical issue in the car. Checking this Forum to see if there is a fix or something known to solve.

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Pretty sure Covid hasn't taken out the phone line yet. Give the lad a phone. I'm sure he will be happy to help.

7. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    Thank you. Guess everyone is delayed from the CV19. I did get ahold of Stefan. He told me to disconnect both grey and orange wires and try again. I did that and the problem still exists. Stefan said that a workshop needs to evaluate the current draw as the lights are probably too high of a draw for the Ferrari computer. Will seek guidance from the dealer. I did subsequently test the position lights with new regular H6W bulbs and they work fine without a lamp failure. Stay tuned.

brogenville likes this.
  8. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    Follow up: Was told that the LED DRL's are not compatible with the Ferrari computer. Taking the car to the dealer to source the circuit for bypass seems like too much trouble and possible money.

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The Marelli body computer that runs the lights is used in (almost) the same form in many Fiat group cars. Seems a good chance that this stuff has been figured out by the Fiat guys?

10. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    Thank you! Will hunt around in Marelli and Fiat.

11. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Did you ever manage to fix this problem ?

12. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    Unfortunately no

13. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I had the same issue with homemade led stripes. I bought good quality water resistant stripes and made few prototypes. Worked fine until I doubled the stripe for better result. Than it stopped working. Light coming up for a second or two than switching off … went back to led bulb with no issue. Much brighter but not as uniform as a stripe …

14. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    Thank you for the advice

15. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
    Which LED bulb did you use ?, I have tried several but they all result with the same problem (turning on for a few seconds then off).

16. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I bought them on Amazon. My first try was a single strip and it did work though not bright enough so I did double and just like that it stopped working. Even when I went back to single strip … led bulb works fine. I am not sure what exactly the issue is, almost like the control unit has a bad reaction to it but not enough to blow a fuse … I guess someone with a bit more understanding of the 599 electrical might be able to come up with a sensible explanation …

17. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Sorry just realised your question was about led bulb! I used several, some quite powerful (Cree). They all work without any problem …

18. mgilman

mgilman Rookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Miles Gilman
    I bought the led strip system from Scud Ing Swiss but it did not work. Same problem as described on this thread.

19. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
    Thanks for the reply, I’ll have another go at them over the winter and try some leds of that type (Cree).