599 Entertainment Upgrade | FerrariChat

599 Entertainment Upgrade

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jay Kay, Jun 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    So I have been enjoying my 599 for 6 months now. I have added 14000kms in my ownership and have been loving it. The only issue I have is the entertainment. While I know that I will be told to simply listed to the exhaust, which I love, I do also enjoy being able to turn up the volume when a song I like comes on, and enjoy it without distortion coming from the speakers.

I have purchased some new speakers, amp and head unit. I will complete the install by next week and post some pics of the journey. I have removed the dash in order to repair some shrinkage issues, so it makes sense to upgrade the system while in there...

It is a scary sight to see the interior of the car bare, but I like the challenge, and will hopefully love the result.

2. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Post pictures when you can. And would especially be interested in how you removed the dash cover.

3. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    It is a massive job. I have already removed the dash completely and had it recovered. I will be able to show the pics of how it goes back in.😄

4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks. Will be helpful to all. Personally I'm most curious about how to remove just the leather portion of the dash.

6. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    #6 Jay Kay, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The leather portion is not a separate piece. You have to remove the entire thing, and then strip away the carbon and so on. The only separate part is the cluster. The dash is also tricky to remove with the steering wheel on. However, it can be done
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Looks like quite a job. Disappointing that you can't just remove the upper dash.

8. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Good luck! I'm happy enough with the Bose hifi system in my car, however, I am swapping out the OEM Becker unit for an Alpine one next week.

9. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    Removing the complete fascia upper and lower is clearly not a job for the faint hearted. Congratulations! Only issue as i see it, others may agree, that fitting a new head unit means the car is no longer original and with the flap closed no big deal but when you opening the flap you will likely see an LED monster a 1000 miles from the original head unit, nah, not for me give me original any day

10. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Oh man, that's a shocking amount of work just to update the audio. I hope you can get Humpty Dumpty back together again and not have interminable squeaks, rattles, etc. If you do, I guess you can just turn the volume up. :/

11. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
  12. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    I am OCD, so every measure has been taken to ensure that everything goes back the way it was. The head unit that I have chosen is not offensive. I have Alpine units in all of my vehicles which can be adjusted to match the vehicle cluster lighting. All original cables are left in place. Switching out the head unit is no biggie, however the bose speakers that I took out of the vehicle are a joke. They have been replaced with Rockford. Once all back together, the only noticeable difference will be the head unit.

13. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I just replaced my Becker with one from Sony, which has a carbon fiber face. Looks just fine, cover closes and the sound and functionality are perfect for my needs (Bluetooth, satellite, Pandora, USB, iPod). Kept the old radio, which I could not read in daylight.

14. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    I find the OEM radio clumsy. Nice looking, but from a function point of view, its difficult to use. I also needed something that can bluetooth my music from my iphone. Maps are there and radio too. I do drive my car so useability ranks higher than originality, provided it can be returned to original easily. :)

15. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Is the sound really better with only changing the head unit? I have done it the other way around, changed all easily accessible speakers added amps and pre-amps but kept the Beker unit.

16. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    #16 Jay Kay, Jun 9, 2016
  17. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    #17 Jay Kay, Jun 9, 2016
  18. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    #18 Jay Kay, Jun 9, 2016
  19. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Olivier -- the sound is indeed better -- clearer, crisper, plus you have more options for switching where the sound comes from. For me the reasons I installed the Sony were ease of operation, USB, Pandora, bigger/brighter display, CD slot for the rare times I want to play a CD, another USB connector to charge my phone/devices, and larger controls. So far, so good. Certainly better speakers would make a difference, but I don't have a sophisticated ear. $180 for the radio and $200 for installation. Less than $400 in total.

20. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    The Becker system is a nightmare to operate, try voice instruction you'll be in a straight jacket before you crack it! Dont know about other speakers or head units but i think that chasing a quality sound is ok but stripping the fascia out to get there is like taking a hammer to crack an egg, is it not?

21. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Clynton
    The dash had to come out inorder to recover in any case. Upgrading the sound just made sense while the dash was out anyway.

22. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #22 Townshend, Jun 13, 2016
    George Vosburgh likes this.
  23. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Walter, is that Alpine unit a recent model ? I have an alpine as well but it's 6 years old and although it works great, I need to hardwire an ipod to listen to my music rather than just streaming straight off my phone. The radio works great, sounds great but is a little dated... I shouldn't be considering this as I'm selling my car, but you never know.

Lino

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    It was originally released in 2013, however, it's still their latest and greatest single DIN model. Has what I want: HD radio, Sirius (optional extra, receiver was mounted on top of my dash), bluetooth streaming, and hands free.

25. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
    Hello guys
    Are the speakers on the rear the same size as the ones in the front?