58 Speedster Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

58 Speedster Restoration

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by omgjon, Aug 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    #26 patina, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #27 GIOTTO, May 26, 2016
    Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    ^^ That is absolutely gorgeous! ....I just love it!

4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #29 GIOTTO, May 27, 2016
  5. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  6. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Are you going to sell the speedster?

Interested.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yes, I am selling it. Focus my attention on my RSR builds.

8. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    No doubt the photograph or my computer, but that Aquamarine doesn't look right. For those that can't see it in person, it is darker and less shiny.

I have had two of them, one the '58 aquamarine (still have, red interior, Super) and the other a '56 aquamarine blue metallic (very different color).

Plus many other 356's of different sorts.

synchro likes this.
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    NürScud likes this.
  10. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Tim Goodrich was a good restoration for the time; the standards have evolved past his work now.

11. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    And yes, the darkened photo does look more accurate.

Withoit maintains paint samples that are reasonably accurate. I would compare with those to start.

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

I’d love to see an example of that.

Freeman

13. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Restoration standards have really evolved. What would win at Pebble 15 years ago wouldn’t even be close now.

For RS’s for example there is someone who was ahead of others; now he has been passed.

Same with 356’s.

I have been waiting 3 years to have mine enter restoration as the shop is booked. They will do a few cars at a time. 18 months later it’s done.

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #39 4CamGT, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

What separated Tim Goodrich from the others in the 356 world was his research and execution. I’m a judge at Pebble Beach and I see many examples of over restoration, too modern a paint color/finish, too shiny etc. If you were to ask The best 356 restorers, I’m sure they would still rank Tim Goodrich at the top. I think the best Concours are those judged by their peers ie Corvette NCRS, PCA Parade etc.

BTW, thanks for your private message. Your restoration at Paul Russell looks good. When I lived in Germany as a designer for Porsche I would visit Kienle http://www.kienle.com/index.cgi?lang=en

I was impressed by their process.

Freeman

15. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    It wasn't Paul Russell, but someone who left there to start their own shop.

Most restorations don't go to the full extreme as some combination of the shop's not understanding what that is, the owners not wanting to pay for it, or everyone believing shiny is better. Maybe the fun isn't in the "authenticity" but rather the use. Clearly modern silver though looks very different from a 1950's silver, and that bothers me every time I see it.

That's where I think in terms of the research and execution the top few keep building off the work of the others before them. For example, Nate Cantwell was incredible with RS's (mainly for Dick Moran's collection). Now as he has effectively retired, others have become even more discerning trying to push the envelope even further. That in my mind is what has happened to Tim Goodrich. You can be the great master but you will be eclipsed by a determined few. People build off the knowledge base and expertise of those before, which they acknowledge. The first pioneers though set the ethic.

However, it's more and more hours for each restoration, so I do question whether it is worth the incremental price tag.

Feel free to PM me.

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  17. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I chose to go shine when I did mine and must say it did not interfere with resale. My philosophy was I was doing it for me. Enjoyed it,sold it and was satisfied with the outcome. Beautiful Restoration.

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Looks awesome. Just wondering are you setting the car up as euro spec? I see the fluted headlights, and red/orange tear drops.

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Interesting observation; way back in pre-history I owned 3 different Speedsters; a '57 & 2 '58's. To the best of my recollection they each had the fluted headlight lenses & bi-color tailights.

As this was so long ago that no one even thought about restoring 'old Porsches', I never gave a second thought to this level of detail! I was just happy they were not cracked/missing! Interesting times......:p

20. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I restored a 58 speedster 84683 and went overboard with swf # bezels, markings, etc. 58 also had wedge turn signals in the front while you have the pre A or early A ones. The us headlight lenses have writing at the bottom and are clear. Also your car most likely had USA bumpers with the exhaust ports through the bottom of the guards and over riders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  22. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    peterp likes this.
  23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

RIP, Dan....

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Jon,

Your horn ring (technically the headlamp flasher) is upside down!

Freeman