575M - Dashboard Dimmer switch ? | FerrariChat

575M - Dashboard Dimmer switch ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Boy Wonder, Feb 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    HI folks, i have a 2003 575M and i would like to make the dashbd lighting brighter, and i cant find a means to do it.. I am having trouble reading which gear i am in with the F1 trans/shifter
    '
    thanks in advance

2. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

press the two small buttons left to the hazard button above at the same time...that gets you into to mode to select changes/scroll through and select. iirc the first option is the dimmer setting for the dash lights...you can increase up to setting of 30 by only pushing left button until desired level....then hit right button to move to next function.

Maxime Defforey and F456M like this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Qavion likes this.
  4. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    thanks, wasn;t able to find it, by myself , i was looking for a rotating wheel switch.. i have a hard time to see the gear indicator light most of the mime
    will look for this tomorrow

thanks

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The 550 has a rotating wheel rheostat.

6. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    figures, i found the right way to control the dash lights , and it was easier to do it than to explain,,,

7. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Have a question. I noticed when I turn on my headlights the interior instrument cluster does not light up. The other Lights for the gauges and center climate control lights up but not the instrument cluster. I did play with the buttons to try to increase the lighting in the instrument cluster but nothing happens. I went all the way up to 30 but the lighting did not come on. Any guess what the problem is or am I doing something wrong. Thank you in advance. Note I just had the dashboard re-leathered and all other functions work.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    oh, ohhh... :D

Do the instrument lights come on with only the sidelights on and does your sidelight (and low beam) indicator come on when you do this? i.e. this one.

The 575 is probably like the F360. There is a wire coming from the light control stalk on the steering column. It splits into wires. One wire goes to the light relays, the other wire goes to the instrument panel, not to supply power to the instrument lights, but to tell the instrument computers to light up the instruments. The instrument panel has a general power source, but this will be ok if all your other instrument functions work. Unfortunately, I don't know how closely the instruments resemble the 360's, so I can't tell you which wire to check. Traditionally, the wire will be yellow with a green stripe. Failing that, one of the circuit boards inside your instrument panel may be fried. Seems to be a common problem on the 360's.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps someone can tell you how hard the instrument binnacle is to remove or how hard it is to get to the plugs on the back?

Here is the setup on the F360. There are four connectors on the back of the instrument panel (9E, 8E, 7E and 6E).

The pin with the yellow/green wire on it in the bottom right hand corner of plug 7E should get an earth when you put your sidelights on. I have the feeling that the general architecture of the panel is the same as the 575's and should have similar plug/pin configurations.

Anyway, let us know if your dash sidelight/low beam indicator comes on with your sidelights on... or indeed with the steering column switch in any position.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    R&R of the dash on the 575M is about an 8 hour job when someone knows what they are doing. Like the 360 (and F430), there is a thin film backlight on the entire instrument cluster, which often quits working. Looks like this, and only has one connector.

Qavion and F456M like this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rod at FAI knows how to pull the instrument panel quickly on a 575M. Might be worth the trouble seeing if he would teach you the trick, especially if you might hire him to repair it. He is the expert on repairing digital Ferrari instrument clusters.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew

[email protected]

F456M likes this.
  12. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Yes that Indicator does come on.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    OK, then the signal is getting from the light switch to the instrument panel. It does sound like the panel is internally broken :(

See Terry's post about repairing the internal backlight circuit.