575M Build | Page 9 | FerrariChat

575M Build

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by white out, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Maxime Defforey likes this.
  2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm going to need a chase car for video. This will max out my microphones if I mount them on the back of the car.

Would be great for a once in a while fun car, but for a daily it's too much. Going to throw some mufflers/resonators on it to quiet it down a bit.

Did some data logging today and 60-130 is down to 9.90. Tire pressure is low (fun for turning and comfy) but I think if I bump it up I'll be able to drop enough to get a full 2 seconds off of the stock time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dhalperin13, hwyman and F456M like this.
  3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Here's a start & quick rev with my iPhone. Mic is immediately maxed out.

hwyman and F456M like this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #204 F456M, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Not loud enough....:)

If I were you now, before you put on mufflers at the rear, I would test first with your original center muffler. I like the idea of having no rear mufflers and just the pipes just like those old classic 50/60-sonen Ferraris... It is also very inexpencive for the test. That center resonator/muffler has a build-in cross pipe so it is kind of a X-pipe... It kills the sound mostly at high rpm. I bet you can live with the «quite high» idle db like a Murcie with full Tubi, but you want to be able to rev up to 6-7.000 rpm. for quick accelleration without being chased by the police of give old women a heart attack, and at the same time have an acceptable sound level while cruising at steady 85 mph. etc. This is where the center muffler work well. When I put my straight-through Fuchs mufflers on a year ago, I had no center muffler on, and the sound was not at all a good one. Too loud too. But by putting the OEM center on it, the sound improved dramatically!! More musical sound experience and all the drone/resonance disappeared.

My 2002 Maserati had a fantastic sound with rear muffler deletes, and that car had also the original center muffler on. But on that one, there is a X-pipe just AFTER the two mini mufflers up front in the center muffler (in addition to the front catalyzers). I guess for the sake of good sound, you want to have the X-pipe as far rear as you can. This is also how the Italian Supersprint exhaust is like for the 550/575 which has a great sound. On a Murcie which always have great sound with sports exhaust or even original exhaust for that matter, there is only about 20 inches of open piping after the X-pipe...

Keep us posted and good luck!! I admire your dedication and pure enthusiasm! And also your social media skillz!

white out and Mirek like this.
  5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The original exhaust is 2.25" and the outlet of the center muffler is 2". Mine is 2.5". Swapping back to that would kill power and add a significant amount of weight. Also, aside from the manifolds, nothing on this exhaust will mate up to a stock exhaust component. The bypass pipes are 2.25" and wishing they were 2" to quiet it down further at this point. But we will play around with it and see what happens. Might have been able to get away without a muffler if the pipe was that small.

On one of the runst today I rolled into power in 1st to WOT, shifted into 2nd and it absolutely murdered the tires (305/35 r-compound at 30psi hot) through the entire gear. I had never seen it do that before.

F456M and hwyman like this.
  6. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    That sounds awesome. Which mic are you using? I found mounting a Rode VideoMicPro in a dead cat on the rear bumper and turning the gain to ~5 out of 10 on my DSLR kept it from clipping even at WOT. It also helps that when the mic is on the bumper it is picking up the sound, but not the pressure vs. recording from behind the car. My video on Youtube was shot like this, and my car was definitely making close to 130db at redline at that time.

white out likes this.
  7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ummm yes please....

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    That was just the iPhone 11 pro with its internal mic leaned up against a breaker bar. :D

Good to know about the speaker. I'll have to check mine out, I bought it years ago and no clue what the brand/model is, but it has a foam cover which does an ok job at killing road noise. It did well on the Lambo, but this sound is completely different and I think it will be too much for the mic. I might be buying a new mic. But we will see.

niftyfivefifty likes this.
  9. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    This is sooo awesome!! First off what a badass doing DIY header swap on a Ferrari in what looks like a condo garage. That alone was the coolest thing I’ve heard... until you fired it up.

Wow incredible sound. Totally unique on a Maranello. Angry, aggressive, and just the right amount of dirty.

I bet if you start a go fund me for a new mic and same day delivery we could get that sorted out with the readers of this thread quickly (I’m in!)

F456M, Maxime Defforey and white out like this.
  10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Erik, I went the same route, I run Fabio’s straight exhaust tips with the OEM center resonator.

I initially had Fabio’s dual H pipe and the OEM mufflers (too quite). Then I switched to The straight exhaust tips w/ H pipe and the noise was loud and unpleasant. Almost like a helicopter. I put the factory resonator back on and.....perfect.

I often wonder what combo I will run if/when I pony up for the headers man thanks for posting all of this up. Hopefully I will catch you at Concorso this year (or something).

F456M likes this.
  11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Haha! That's great with the gofundme. If my mic doesn't work well I'll grab a new mic.

I have had better luck with getting the true sound based off of chase cars, so that will definitely need to be in the works as well.

F456M likes this.
  12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree with you. If you look closely on the center muffler, this is made to be exactly like it is. And for a reason in my thinking... My car will do 331 kph. on the speedo which ease even with those «restrictors» at the rear end of it.... I have discussed with a very famous engine builder, and he said the exhaust is not that important. It is what happens inside the engine that really matters, and the timing and fuel etc... We must remember that in the late 90-ies, people were running 250 kph. also in Italy.... The center unit reduce the sound at high rpm., and it actually makes its own sound. When I had the original rear mufflers and original cats, I put on a Stebro X-pipe on, and it was actually more quiet than the original center muffler...

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I went searching for the leak (can't really see well in that area of the engine bay) but saw some coolant stains in the valley. So it looks like the hose under the intake manifold is the culprit.

14. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    So much good info. love the build. Love the adding lightness aspect of the project.

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    So I aired up the tires from 26psi to 33psi (cold) and was able to knock down the 60-130 to 9.63!
    That's 2.1 seconds quicker than stock and .26 seconds behind the Viper.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nick- 33 psi is what I run on my 575M.

Looks like she is making good power with the 550 exhaust manifolds. No CELs?

17. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I didn't hook up the SAI yet, so it has a CEL. I'll have to run a scan to see if it has any codes for the manifolds.

18. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    mic is maxed out, but you get an idea

simchanova, tres55, Mirek and 3 others like this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    75 mph...... :)

it is quite «sharp» in the sound. When I look at Murcies which sound great, they usually have a muffler with some «volum». I wonder if that is to get some more bass to the sound? How is your exhaust on your Murcie? Any pictures or video?

Keep on posting!

Really interesting and fun to follow this thread!

20. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Just dump all the SAI stuff. You're going to have to get a tune soon surely if you want to optimise this setup and get in front of the viper time, so get that stuff coded out at the same time. Clever clogs like 360trev can make it so the car still passes smog too.

21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What happens when you take off the catalyzers or pre-cats? Why is a re-programming needed? @360trev

22. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I reset the ECU and no lights so far.

23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How do you reset an ECU?

24. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Cheapo $10 OBD2 scanner I've had for a decade, lol.

F456M likes this.
  25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I need to get one, even though I have never had a CEL. Sometimes my shock absorber fault icon comes on in the multi display. But I guess I can’t do anything with a OBD2 tool to diagnose that. In the owner’s manual, it is written that ONLY a SD1 tester can diagnose the system.