575M Build | Page 6 | FerrariChat

575M Build

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by white out, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Its not a Ferrari specific thing... the welds on my Gallardo and Murcielago were equally crappy... I don't have a Huracan or Aventador but Im assuming its better now... Most ppl have swapped out their oem exhaust at this point anyway

Boomhauer and white out like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Too many generalizations.

3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I guess point being other premium Italian exotics of a certain vintage suffered the same exhaust quality issues... cars that one would assume were squarely focused on performance. Thats how Nick got so much HP out of his 575 and LP640

Vteclover302 and white out like this.
  4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    niftyfivefifty, F456M, cuse92 and 5 others like this.
  5. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    Awesome! 5 spoke designs always work well on the Maranellos. Can’t wait to see them mounted.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Nice!! What sizes are those badboys?

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    18" with 305/35 tires at all corners, front 10.5 & rear 11

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  9. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    305 front!?!?!? Crazy.... That sucker will STICK

white out likes this.
  10. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Wheels are ON!

front's are a bit wider:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rear's show the difference between the 295 & 305 width and why the front is so aggressive:

Onto the car. . . I did not install the center caps yet, but I really like the look, so I may run without them.

Tires mounted, 305 at each corner. Much more aggressive than what I had envisioned since I was test fitting with 295 on the front. But they are within the top of the fender so it's all good. These are MEATY. Going to have to raise the car a few mm for actual life and may add a few mm spacer to the rear.

niftyfivefifty, SaifC, NE550 and 3 others like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Those are interesting, definitely keep the original as they are an acquired taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I totally get that whenever changing out OEM wheels.

Unfortunately I don't have room to spare for large items, so the wheels are going up for sale soon. Given that this isn't a stock car, I don't think any prospective buyers would be too concerned about originality of the wheels. . . not that I build/drive my cars with the consideration of the next guy, I do this for my own enjoyment. Cannot wait to feel the turn-in with these new front tires and see the 60-130 times with the lighter and stickier rears.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those look good. They make OEM silver center caps if you do not want the yellow ones.

- Raised aluminium horse on silver grey background, part nr. 070001349

The rear will support much wider wheels, so spacers are no problem. Mine had 12.5" NF2s (19") with 25 mm spacers and 355/25 19 tires on the rear. The fronts are much wider than most aftermarket wheels. The NF2s were 9" in front.

white out likes this.
  14. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Awesome! I love the concept of a hot rod Maranello. Just awesome. Can’t wait to see more!

Ruben

NYC Fred and white out like this.
  15. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Looks awesome Nick, that front tire pic really highlights the sensuous lines of the 575! The rear tire looks way better brought out to the fender line

white out likes this.
  16. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I may show ignorance but why 2 different wheels with the same tire size?

17. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Niice! Wheels/tires and stance are spot on. Love the look and the idea of an "outlaw" Maranello.

white out likes this.
  18. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The wheels have different offsets, so it made more sense to add some width to the back so I can run a wider tire and originally I was going to run a 295/30 front & 315/30 rear. But decided to go with the 305/35 for more sidewall so there is more ground clearance (1.4" taller than 295/30 & .9" taller than 315/30) for daily life and I'm really curious to see how well the front grip/turn in improves with that wide of a front tire.

I ran 315 front on my Viper and it transformed the car's characteristics.

19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I need to get out with the draggy and do some data logging. But wow, this car is seriously quick now. It hooks in first gear if I roll into it, barks going into second, full traction in second, and the 3/4 shifts feel faster (little/no spin). There is MUCH more road noise from the front, it was silent before, which is expected from going with an r-compound and bumping up the tire size.

The turn-in and steering response/front end grip is much better and the car feels much less lofty. I need to look back through the threads, I think Taz said something about a more responsive steering ECU which would go well with this new set up.

20. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Nick how's the tramlining with all that rubber up front?

21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I haven't noticed a difference.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John (Maranello Skunkworks) can provide the FHP or custom curve Hydraulic Steering ECU for you.

white out likes this.
  23. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks!

Just went out data-logging and couldn't get a clean run in for a complete 60-130, will have to try on a different day. But, shift times are WAY down without wheel spin, according to the logs the 2-3 shift is about half the amount of time and the 3-4 shift is about 1/8 of the time. 60-70mph time is down by .15 second.

Il Tifoso, Auraraptor and JOEV like this.
  24. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    #149 white out, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Did some data logging tonight and knocked the 60-130 down to 10.10 (another .5 seconds from the tires/wheels).

Look at the shift time differences. Tires make a HUGE difference on these cars with the relatively short gearing.

New

Old

I found something very interesting. The car is SIGNIFICANTLY faster shifting at 7500rpm than 8000rpm. And by significant, I mean a full second quicker today between back to back logs and that is mind boggling.

So I started going through others logs and dyno sheets, which show most of the dyno sheets end around 7500-770rpm, but the power starts to drop at the end of the charts for cars with modified exhausts (peak is around 7000-7200rpm for most). I think the stock exhaust is so restrictive that power never falls off.

Based off of my logs and the comparisons with other cars' dyno graphs, it looks like I need to focus on those awful exhaust manifolds to get a more usable powerband and make power to redline. So I'll be focusing on that next.

25. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Making good progress.

Where are you then against your target to beat the viper?

You gonna try some equal length headers, a la Fabio? Worth getting a tune done too if you go down that route.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat