575 manual watch, Europe | Page 28 | FerrariChat

575 manual watch, Europe

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Aug 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks, Terry! My bad.

2. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    Stunning images of that Rosso/Bordeaux manual.

Curious about the location as it hasn't obviously been driven there.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Home Counties this week, looks like, MogulBoy?

Sorry to disagree with you folks but a red on red 575 will put a lot of buyers off in the UK, regardless of whether it’s possible to repaint or redye it. These cars are not yet valuable enough for big material changes to be a consideration for most buyers.

A classic colour combo would attract buyers that would not bid for this, and that will affect the auction.

brogenville likes this.
  4. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    CC states that the car is located in Ripon, Yorkshire; so presumably shot near there.

Perhaps the car has been in storage on private property and was wheeled/out for these charming photos?

Accuracy of colour reproduction in these images notwithstanding, I’d wager that it looks utterly beguiling in real life and anyone holding out for what they might consider to be their first choice colours, is simply talking themselves out of the equation.

BarryK likes this.
  5. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    For me, although these cars are fast, my family car is probably faster.

So when I buy a “fun” car from this era, only two things really are of paramount importance: looks and sound. Colour is important. (I’m waiting for a Verde Zeltweg but will settle for a TDF.)

6. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Not tempted by the car at Slades?

https://www.slades-garage.co.uk/vehicle/ferrari-550-maranello-rhd-in-penn-buckinghamshire-70066d25-e50f-47e5-b1fc-157f0eb5ff0e

I keep looking at that, it's nice and even has no shields which is my preference.

7. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I would pay that much for a green car. But I feel that it’s too much for a blue one. £80k is what I want to pay. It’s probably not realistic :-(

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Great colour combination. Only 8700 miles, asking more than £220k though. No mention of FHP. Interesting to see if it sells. Unfortunately importing to an EU country would see VAT on top of that.

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
  10. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Commenting on this a bit late but...

It will be interesting to see what the history says about this car when it appears. It was originally Maranello Sales demonstrator when they had a dealership in Sevenoaks and had black seats. It hasn't been MOTed since 2013 (the number plates it is photographed on are now on a Mini) when it was on 10,475 miles. So it has done just over 200 miles in the last 8 years - or, since it wasn't MOTed, presumably 200 miles shortly after its last MOT and no miles in the 7 odd years since.

21ATS likes this.
  11. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The amount of history you have is always interesting. @jtremlett

Do you have anything on the car in the Silverstone March Auction?

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/index.php?option=com_bidding&view=commission&layout=details&id=12718

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting, so it’s not original spec. I wonder if anything else has been changed. It would make sense for a demo to have modular wheels, and also for it to be red with black seats rather than Bordeaux, which would put many new buyers off. Were the original seats black, do you remember?

Interesting also that it was a demo at all. Not one of the press demonstrators of the 575 (or 430) was manual. All F1. I remember begging to try a manual, not possible.

13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I can add a bit to the auction listing. 7 owners, at least one of whom posts on here and may or may not see this and wish to comment. The last owner bought it from HR Owen in December 2012 when it was listed for £74,950 (with 13,000 miles - 13207 according to the MOT). So they've done 800 miles in it over 8 years or so.

21ATS likes this.
  14. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes, the original seats were black. For obvious reasons, dealers tend not to specify anything too outrageous for their demo cars.

Strangely, three of the last half dozen UK manual 575s were demonstrators for the (at the time) three Maranello sites, Egham, Sevenoaks and St Albans. In fact, checking my records, at least 17 of the UK manual 575s were demonstrators or press cars, although I think you are right in that all the early UK demo cars were F1. As an aside, I'm not sure the quoted number (in the Silverstone Auctions listing mentioned above) of 69 UK manual cars is correct. I only seem to have 57.

15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    My understanding of the 69 figure was RHD manual but not specifically UK. Back then was it normal that other RHD countries processed orders through the UK or is my memory a little hazy?

So I guess a number of those cars could have ended up in Austrailia, Singapore or SA? There was certainly a RHD Manual 575 recently sold in SA it they made a big deal about the fact it was the only one in the country,

16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Maranello Concessionaires were the importers for RHD markets other than the UK for some time (although never for South Africa) but that was no longer the case by the time of the 575 anyway. As an aside, I was told that was a misunderstanding in that Colonel Hoare only went to pitch for (IIRC) Australia!

The Silverstone Auctions listing says "One of only 69 right-hand drive, manual gearbox 575s supplied to the UK". Indeed, that is the number on the various brochures that the Maranello Archives have published. When Tony produced the latest version of the brochure (I say brochure, it is a little A5 yellow card with a photograph of each model and the production numbers underneath that you may be familiar with) a year or so ago, he couldn't check the later models because all the details are on Ferrari's computer system and not amongst the paperwork he has in the Archives. The UK numbers for some of the earlier models were revised because they did include non-UK cars.

I don't think there were any manual 575s supplied to Australia and I only have a couple of non-UK RHD.

21ATS likes this.
  17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That number 69 comes from the Maranello Concessionaires brochures, as does the total of 246 three pedals worldwide. Assume those numbers came directly from Ferrari. They also had two different numbers for total 575Ms, 2064 and 2056, depending on brochure. None of the original Australian 575Ms had 3 pedals, not sure about other nations.

18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I know this is getting slightly off track but for the sake of posterity:
    The brochures you mention and that I referred to in my previous post, are produced by Tony Willis who owns Maranello Concessionaires' archives (that would otherwise have gone in the incinerator at the end of 2003 when Ferrari North Europe took over as UK importer). They are actually headed "The Maranello Concessionaires Archive" and "A Guide To UK Ferrari Road Cars 1960 - 2004". Maranello Concessionaires also historically produced various brochures which also gave production/import numbers.

I would need to check with Tony, but I think there have been 4 versions - three yellow and one blue and white. Effectively, each version supersedes the previous versions in terms of the production numbers quoted. All are folded A5 size.

The most recent version was produced about a year ago and is partly my fault (at least Tony said it was!) because I kept querying numbers with him.

The Total Production numbers came from Ferrari. The UK numbers came from Tony counting them up from the stock books for the earlier cars and from Ferrari for the later cars. Note that UK numbers are often mistaken for worldwide RHD numbers which they are not.

As mentioned in my previous post, the latest version of the brochure did revise the UK numbers for a few models. However, although Tony was unable to check the numbers for the later models (355 and later) since they aren't all in the stock books, I can't reconcile some of them with my own data. Whilst the numbers may have come out of a computer they will only be correct if they are the answer to the question being asked and I am suspicious that not all of them are.

Obviously, whilst not all RHD cars are or were supplied new to the UK, it is also true that not all UK-supplied cars are RHD. For example, there were 6 manual 575 Superamericas supplied new to the UK but only 5 of those were RHD.

Finally, on this subject, these little brochures are excellent and I recommend anyone, who has an interest but doesn't have one, acquires an example. I believe Tony will supply the latest version (although I haven't confirmed that with him, I know he has done so in the past) for a minimal charge. If anyone is interested, please PM me and I will put you in touch.

Themaven and 21ATS like this.
  19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I am definitely interested. Right now I have two yellow ones, the latest with a 612 on the cover.

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Me too, Jonathan. Great piece of history there, thank you. However I would query the statement about manual press 575s. Dealer demos yes, but I would be very interested and surprised to see evidence of a manual press 575 first owned by FNE (or Ferrari Maserati NE as it was then). And happy to be proved wrong I should add.

21. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't think I can give you any evidence right now. However, it is worth noting that the first UK 575s were registered around about May 2002. The two manual cars I have noted as Press cars were not registered until February and April 2003 (and the dealer demo cars about the same time or later). So, I think that you are right that there were no press or demo manual cars initially and I am guessing that when you mention trying to get a go in a manual demo car you would be talking about 2002.

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think it was 02 and 03, I will try and check. But they were press cars, not dealer demos. I am a journalist and back then would not have come close to having enough to consider buying a new 575. I do remember one press 575, TDF over beige, F1 with FHP, took it to the Cotswolds and Lucknam Park. Very memorable, felt very fast on the straights and effortless in corners back then.