575 aftermarket exhaust advice required. | FerrariChat

575 aftermarket exhaust advice required.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulsantoni, Feb 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    I recently bought a 575M. I find it a bit quiet and doesn't really let the engine sing as I think a V12 should.
    I spoke to Larini who suggested secondary sports cats which are about £2400 plus Vat. I don't like a car that drones or is too noisy at motorway speeds (say 60-85). They suggested this as the best solution as opposed to new back boxes. I think my car has aftermarket back ones although again for me too quiet.

Does anyone have experience of the Larini products or other aftermarket parts and able to give some views?

I would like to hear the V12 more. I am no longer a particularly fast driver, nor to I believe in revving cars in town for other peoples amusement.

2. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Paul. There are many ways to get some more «life» in your 575M, from quite inexpencive to quite expencive. I changed to Hyperflow sport catalyzers on my 550. It was a little increase in sound, but not much. Normally, you want it to be a bit louder. But what is most important is the sound quality. More dB is not always better. A reasonable upgrade would be sport cats or even take them off. You still have 4 pre-cats in your 3-1 headers. How big is your budget? We had a member here who have made a superb full exhaust system (still modular, so each section can be changed out with your original exhaust one part at a time). If you search one of the latest exhaust threads, you will find it. Good luck.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You will get more results out of changing your mufflers than changing your cats if you are after better sound. Even with OEM precats (4 of them) and primary cats, my old Novitec Super Sports without valves would wake the dead. Swapped it for an HGTC exhaust, now with Fabio's headers.

Before doing anything, you might just change your exhaust bypass valves to be open all the time and see if you like it. Easy to do just by running the long vacuum line directly to the bypass valve T to the actual valves and plugging both sides of the bypass valve solenoid with the extra piece of hose in a loop. This will increase the sound significantly and give you some popping on downshifts when in Sport.

F456M, SteveVT and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Didn't early cars have a central silencer that can be deleted ? Someone like PDGough in Nottingham may be able to help

Would you consider adding your car to Taz's register which as I recall is updated from the 575 Technical Thread at the top if it is not already there ?

6. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Thanks guys. When I spoke to Larini, they suggested there should also be a slight bhp increase of about 3% which I appreciate is going to be difficult to detect and also slightly smoother pickup. The car is nippy enough for me but free increases are always welcome.
    I will check out a few things.
    The main suggestion is the second cats are about 55% and the Larini 90% flow without compromises for intake or ECU. I do find it odd the Ferrari seem to have made a very restricted exhaust for this car. I saw the above video and love that noise.
    I recently sold my Countach QV and rate the 575 as about 1/3rd of that noise or drama!!

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I agree with Taz, open the valves and see what you like.

The 550/575 exhaust system is SEVERELY restricted from the factory. It's 2.25" and necked down to 2" in sections. Bumping it to a smooth 2.5" (or 3") will net significant power and sound gains. But you need a good fabricator to perform the work. Most of the aftermarket options do not address the restrictions and merely address the mufflers.

8. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Taz
    I am a bit of a moron when it comes to these forums! How do I add my car details to your tech thread?
    My car chassis number is : 132538 Registered in UK on 26/04/03. Black F1 with Daytona striped white/black seats; handling pack; big wheels!

9. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Ahh you bought Finn's car.

That looked tidy. He offered it to me but I'm just not a fan of Black cars.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2003-ferrari-575m-maranello

10. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Lol

I wasn't aware the car was advertised on this site! I bought it directly from the owner who lived locally to me. I saw the car advertised otherwise.
    As a matter of interest what was it advertised at and what were the bids? I paid what I paid so not really concerned but would love to know!
    Since I bought it I have fitted new tyres all round as the fronts were 10 years old. Also had it properly detailed so looks stunning. Quite a few wee other things I want to do to the car, a s I like my cars 'my way' which may not necessarily be the same as a service agent.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- I have not updated my 575 list for quite a while. I started it to give me some idea of the serial numbers (last 6 of VIN) that went with updates to the 575M. Once I had enough info for that, I stopped updating it. I would like one day to find the 575M with Assembly Number 52556, though. It was between 135171 and 135186.

12. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    If you click the link in my reply above it takes you to the listing on Collecting Cars on which it was advertised.

Final bid was £61,000 (which would have been £64,660 with fees) but it didn't meet reserve.

It looked like a tidy car from the photographs.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Paul, I bought my 575 with Tubi 575 back boxes and the original back boxes tidily packed in cartons. I have never been tempted to take them out.

I don’t think they add any/much power, but they sound good. They are also a few kg lighter each, which may help handling behind the back axle.

A deep thrum on idle, howl on acceleration, and quiet at motorway cruise speeds. Not as quiet at cruise as the factory setup, but no drone and not intrusive. On part throttle burbling through urban areas, it sounds lovely, deep throated and big, with a drama the factory setup lacks completely. (You can blame Luca for that; contrast with the F512M which has an amazing exhaust intake gargle but was too loud for the markets he wanted to reach out to.)

the Tubi back boxes are a reliable and cost effective option, though they do not add any pops and cracks and I haven’t tested the other options. Fabio’s exhaust seems to be the connoisseur option, noise sounds wonderful on the videos though higher pitched and more old F1 than simple Tubi back boxes. His exhaust also apparently releases a lot of power.

14. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Thanks for that guys. I will look out for this and see a separate thread on his exhausts.

Interesting about the Collecting Cars auction. I can understand why he didn't sell at that price

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i do not know anything about after market exhaust differences.....
    but i will concur with tazz on this ....bypassing the valves allows you to use your existing exhaust system, and it will be significantly louder and more aggressive sounding.
    my 430 had this done by the previous owner, and it sounds great. people always ask me what kind of exhaust system i put on and i tell them stock with bypass and they cant believe it.

as a cheap test of how much louder you can handle, try this first.

16. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    I was over at the garages where I keep some of my cars today and checked. There is no back boxes on my car. It is just straight back pipes from the centre section! I don't know what make they are and I think they were fitted a long time ago.
    It happens I know one of the previous owners from years back, but I doubt he would change anything as he always liked originality.
    I know that I am a wee bit deaf ( too many years driving X1/9's with the roof off permanently and sports exhausts) , but I still think the car is too quiet!
    I think I would need to put it beside an unmodified one and listen to the differences.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- Next step would be to get rid of the center muffler/resonator if she has an AN earlier than 51797, when straight center pipes started to be fitted at the factory. Straight pipes, an X-pipe, or Fabio's H-pipe are good choices, with the straight pipes likely to cause some resonance.

You probably need a second opinion if you are actually partially deaf. Deafness more likely caused by loud music in headsets than a Fiat exhaust.

18. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Paul, I also have Tubi back boxes that I got from Roger at Kent High Performance Cars. I had previously messed around with a few other configurations, but I found them to either be too loud or too "drony". Tubis that I have don't drone and sound really nice, may be worth a look.

19. baredd

baredd Rookie

Mar 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Edd
    Taz with your permission would you mind if I carried on your great work and started maintaining the 575 list? If so Ill add this one to the list you shared with me and continue to maintain and update this over time

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Roger has just set up my 575 alignment to his fast road spec. I am excited to drive it, likely picking it up in a couple of weeks.

I think the Tubi back boxes are great and have not been tempted to change, but as I say have not heard many of the alternatives in real life. I don’t think the nature of the Maranellos suits a super loud exhaust but it’s horses for courses.

papou likes this.
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ed- Feel free. Here is the latest version. I updated it 272 times, looks like. Note I only included 575Ms and Superamericas that I had the serial number, assembly number, shifter type, and whether she had FHP or HGTC.

Attached Files:

22. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    @tazandjan - Terry, many thanks for this (and many other) helpful bits of advice. I have to replace the vacuum line anyway on mine, so I shared this suggestion with my mechanic and we are doing it. Gonna try it out and see how it sounds! Thanks, Steve