550 rear shock mounts | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 rear shock mounts

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, May 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here's what's happening.
    The shock rod is turning! That rod is positively connected to the spherical ball in the upper mount which is allowing the rod to rotate.
    The rod is also connected to the cup that holds the actuator as well as the washer under it with flats.

All you have to do is keep that cup or washer from turning, this can be accomplished by attaching a safety wire from the cup to the bolts fastening the mount to the chassis. What Bill's tech did was attach a flat "T" shaped piece of metal that abutted the one of the flats on the washer and was held in place by the fastening bolts.

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Rotating shock actuators. Another design wonder by Ferrari!

F456M likes this.
  3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Luca probably would have said "we don't charge extra for that"

4. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    And it works Great :)

5. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    part of my annual service, "untwist shock actuators" before pulling her out from hibernation, this seems to avoid any issues

6. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Hey all, is this a dumb idea to keep the actuators from spinning? After I did that it occurred to me that it might be putting too much pressure on the housing and end up cracking it, or breaking the internal gears because the base is trying to spin?

Or is it just a matter of holding it in place with a tiny bit of pressure and this should be fine?

This is not permanent by the way, just thought of it temporarily until I can do a more elegant solution like shown above.

Attached Files:

7. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
  8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't worry about cracking the mount, as to the internal gears, they are quite able to break on their own, it's not unusual.

Go to the hardware store and buy a couple of "T" braces, drill holes in the "T" to match the shock mount bolts, cut the center leg so it just touches the flat on the large washer under the actuator, bend the "T" brace to fit and "Bob's your uncle"

Be sure to use bolts that are athwartships cross ways, not fore and aft

Look for something like this
    16 Pieces 80*80mm Stainless Steel T Shape Flat Corner Brace Bracket|brace bracket|flat corner bracecorner brace - AliExpress

rhern213 likes this.
  9. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Great thanks! That seems simple enough. What I was worried about damaging are the internal plastic teeth of the actuator, that ones that sit on top of the metal hub base of the shock mount. If the teeth on the metal hub are forcefully trying to rotate and I'm trying to hold the actuator housing in place, it might break the internals?

I assume that's why in your solution it's held in place at the metal base, so there's zero pressure applied on the plastic actuator itself.

I think just to be safe I'll take the zip ties off until I can fix it properly. I'd rather take a few minutes to untwist the cable than risk breaking the actuator.

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    See this thread

rhern213 likes this.
  11. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    if anyone wants to have their rear shock munts modified, i have a set of used 550 rear shock mounts for sale.

12. MattH1973

MattH1973 Rookie

Jun 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew Hunt
    my T brackets arrived yesterday, and this job is next on the list - as always, many thanks to Dave......

rhern213 likes this.
  13. ctml

ctml Rookie

Oct 27, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    When you get round to it, please can you take some pictures of your steps. Thanks!