550 rear shock mounts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 rear shock mounts

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, May 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #26 ferraridriver, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
    Looks like the regular front shock mount. That's the cause of the actuator problem, not the fix. The only difference between old and new solutions is that the ball and associated parts are NLA as repair pieces. You must buy the whole mount.

While I can't prove it I'm convinced in my mind that the bump stop attached to and offset on the front mount is the causal factor, the ball just allows the rod to turn.

A new front mount cost $860/ea, My kit costs less than that for both front mounts and should last the life of the car. I've seen the rubber cushions last 100,000 miles on Mercedes and still be usable.

You have to remember that not all actuators wind up, I just did a set for a 99 550 last week that had an actuator so badly wound up that it pulled two wires out! it was a right side, the left side was perfect!

The guys at Wynn's could have replaced front mounts and had no twisting but that proves nothing. There are lots of original mounts out there that have not twisted in 12-14 years. It appears to be totally random. My car, a 2000, never had a twisting problem with 16,000 on it when I got it.

2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Dave,

Mine has 37k on it and the one that twists is the right front,
    not that badly, never heard of the left one doing it.

I will just sit tight.

The service manger at wynn told me, "Just leave it alone it's fine"

cheers,

Bill

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It's always the right front on mine too. I've learned the actuator disconnect-untwist-reconnect trick. I have to do this two or three times a year.

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I bought my 550 at SportAuto in NC they had another 550 on the floor. The left front actuator was badly twisted.

Everything I have seen so far compels me to believe its a totally random occurring thing.

On the one I did last week the ball was still very tight in it's race so its not a worn race that causes the problem. I've seen races so loose the ball rattles in it.

I don't know what the internals of the shock look like but the simple fact that there have been no reports of turning actuators anywhere except on the 550 front and the fact that that is the only place where an attached, offset bump stop is used is what leads me to my conclusion. Its the bump stop that causes the turning.

With thanks to Sherlock Holmes for my line of reasoning ;)

F456M likes this.
  5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you're happy with the ride quality I'd be inclined to do the same. I didn't do this project to cure actuator turning, I didn't have that problem, I did it solely for ride quality. I'm very happy with the result as is every other owner I've done it for.

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Same here Barry, Seems to work fine.

I also bought a spare OEM actuator on ebay for $102.50 had it checked out and it's perfect.

Bill

7. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Dave, I remember how happy everyone was that you did it for.

What has to be done ?

The shocks taken out and sent to you ? (something I am not able to do myself) and how long is the turn around time ?

Thanks,

Bill

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It's the only idiosyncrasy my 550 has. I consider myself lucky in that regard. :D

9. Johnharden

Johnharden Rookie

May 13, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Full Name:
    John Harden
    Finally had a few nice days weatherwise to drive my 550 with the newly modified shock mounts Dave fabricated a couple of weeks age. The ride feels greatly improved, particularily when driving arround town over our bumpy potholed street in third and forth gear. The compliance of the rubber effectively reduces the normal harsh feel of the original Bilstein mounts. Under hard cornering and high speeds on the highway I can't tell any difference in the handling characteristics as compared with the original setup. Will have to wait and see if the front left actuator continues to turn with the new mounts. Installation was very simple and quick. Thanks Dave!!

F456M likes this.
  10. ken corre

ken corre Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ken Corre
    #35 ken corre, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    I live in LA and would love to show some of my 550 concerns to someone...?? Can reach me at [email protected]

11. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    This is one interesting thread! Bravo to Dave for figuring out the solution.

I will admit to my own head scratching over Ferrari's decisions to eliminate this compliance bushing; there to dampen high frequency vibration from passengers. Tuning compliance bushings has evolved into exceptionally high tech development for OE manufacturers, especially now that chassis are so much more rigid than even ten years ago.

The lower shock bushing has been a spherical monoball since the F355... The upside is exceptional durability and suspension accuracy, downside is unimpeded transmission of potentially objectionable vibration...

Best,
    Rob

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

The lower monoball is not really a problem because the lower wishbone is effectively isolated by the inboard compliance bushings.

13. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    hmm, I have to disagree on this one. All vibration in ride has a greater vertical force component and lesser horizontal component, hence the "harshness" is transmitted from tire to hub to the shock/ spring assembly and into the chassis. The same vibrations that your new upper mount isolates traveled to said mount via the lower shock mount bushing.

Best,
    Rob

F456M likes this.
  14. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Just installed a set of Dave's modified shock mounts. Incredible improvement in ride and noise/ harshness issues. Recommended. You will not be sorry. We are lucky Dave came up with the modification. Well worth the investment.

QUOTE="rexrcr, post: 142345403, member: 905"]hmm, I have to disagree on this one. All vibration in ride has a greater vertical force component and lesser horizontal component, hence the "harshness" is transmitted from tire to hub to the shock/ spring assembly and into the chassis. The same vibrations that your new upper mount isolates traveled to said mount via the lower shock mount bushing.

Best,
    Rob[/QUOTE]

15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This is an absolute must to all 550s. I have been experimenting a lot with different exhausts and also modified the stereo with new head unit, speakers and an active sub. I never gettong really satisfied. Some of the reason might come from the fact that there is so much road noise in the car that you can’t get to hear the engine or stereo clear at a moderate volume.... This shock mount modification is a must for every 550 ! Who can do it?

16. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #41 ixlr8, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    This is the $64K question. From my understanding, Dave sold the rights to Delta Vee and Delta Vee was doing the mods for a while. I have read that Delta Vee is no longer doing this mod due to lack of demand and I can no longer find it listed on their web site. So I think at the moment this mod is in limbo. I have not yet called Delta Vee to confirm the status of this mod.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This is just a matter of lack of marketing. Every 550 owner (including Barchetta most probably), will experience serious noise sooner or later. I posted this in the Norwegian and Swedish Ferrari Facebook groups now. I want to do it this winter on my car. I hate the noise. And it needs it.

18. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can do two sets with the parts I have but it requires sending me the mounts so the car would out of commission for as long as it takes to ship. I would probably need several days turn around time. I don't want the whole shock assembly, just the mounts and this applies to the rears only.

When these parts are gone there will be NO more.

PM if interested.

F456M likes this.
  19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Did Rob give up on doing these?

20. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, as far as I know he stopped several years ago.

I will not start a new run but I have enough internal parts to do four shocks.

21. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill's 550 had a fairly simple fix for that improvised by his Las Vegas technician.

F456M likes this.
  23. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    Can you elaborate some more (or can Bill)

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will leave it up to Bill, but it was documented here a while back.