550 questions | FerrariChat

550 questions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by VS2K, Oct 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VS2K

VS2K Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    NE
    I recently got a 550 Maranello. Fantastic car that is very addictive to drive!

Anyway, I have a couple questions that I'm not finding definitive answers for in the manual. When using a battery tender during storage, is it advised to cutoff the battery power? Or do I just leave it on while using a battery tender?

This next one is kind of silly because it should be readily apparent. I've checked the manual and no mention of it. But where does one refill the windshield wiper fluid in the engine bay??

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    No need to disconnect battery

The only concern is for a long time battery may develop a leak ..so if it is a wet cell battery and will sit long ..the best would be to remove battery out charger on it and reinstall if battery is still good

How long will it sit ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

VS2K likes this.
  3. VS2K

VS2K Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    NE
    It could sit for up to 2-3 months depending on how often it snows this coming winter. I'll check which type of battery it is. Thanks!

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That sounds like a easy one ...just put the charger on and don't worry about it .....unless very very old wet cell battery

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

VS2K likes this.
  5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ralfabco, VladimirB, VS2K and 3 others like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Will your tender be hooked up directly to both (positive/negative) battery terminals? On some cars, using the battery cutout switch will stop the battery charging.

VS2K likes this.
  7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, and for various reasons, my 575 sat in the garage for about 12 months on a battery tender. Couple of weeks ago, got in and it started right up. Drove 1500 miles.

VS2K and Bas like this.
  8. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I always use a charger (CTEK) whenever I don’t use the car and never disconnect the battery switch.

The only time I disconnected the battery and left the charger off is when I went overseas for about 6 weeks. When I returned I reconnected the charger to make sure the battery was fully charged and the car started ok. Soon after I got a check engine light, long story short I had to replace the ecu. The theory was that leaving the battery disconnected for long periods of time is no good for the non volatile memory in the ecu.

VS2K likes this.
  9. VS2K

VS2K Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    NE
    Thanks all!

Laurens W Floyd Jr likes this.