550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas | Page 5 | FerrariChat

550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mbyormark, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  2. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Daniel thanks for all you efforts here!
    Much appreciated!
    Bill
    FL

mbyormark likes this.
  3. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    This is a must to share with all the great guys here.
    I have to thank for all the help I got from this forum.

Daniel

root and F456M like this.
  4. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Yes, Daniel, awesome clips.

Very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    WHOA! That is incredible! The only thing I've heard that rivals the Cargraphics Fuchs!

DAYUM!!!

Jroe550 likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That is one seriously complex exhaust system... Why do they have a set of pipes going side ways into the forst muffler? Must be the only car in the world with just that!!

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You’re welcome! From your name here, I guess you have a Riva Tritone? My great great passion is boats. Speed boats and Riva is more and more interesting...

8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Superb! Now is sounds like a proper V12, and more like the Murcielago i posted above. From now on, the original system is history and junk. I need this for next summer. There is nothing more to say about that!! How is the performance? Do you feel any difference? So much sound and no drone/resonance?

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- According to Fabio, the performance gain on the 550, although substantial, is not as great as it is on the 575 because the 550 exhaust was already freer flowing because of the lack of precats in the headers. Still, a 25+ hp gain is nothing to sneeze at, and the sound is an order of magnitude more magnificent. Will be ordering the headers soon.

F456M likes this.
  10. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi

Drone :
    When you start the cold engine and drive out of the garage, you have some drone at some revs.
    After some minutes, this is gone. Remember, that I have not ordered the sec air system.

Fabio said, that the connection between left and right tube is important for getting no drone.
    I had no drone before and after (only at cold start and playing with rev from 1000-2000 rpm) because of the window inside the mid section.

Power :
    I should have made an explizit test (acceleration from point A to B or something else) with the old system, but I forgot it.
    I believe the torque at lower revs ist less than before, but the power from about 4500 rpm is more.
    Yesterday a friend came with me for a test, he said the car runs much better than before.

If someone from you could compare the full throttle acceleration 1st to 4th gear in clip 3+4 with his 550 ?

One good thing is, that you do not run into the rev limiter as before, because the sound is higher pitch and so you shift earlier.
    With the old system you often not registrated that you are over 7000 rpm.

The engine brake is much much less than before.

Daniel

F456M likes this.
  11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    One thing.

For the clips, I used a GoPro Hero 3+ which was fixed in the middle of the trunk.

Daniel

12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Terry, if I would be in the situation to get a Daytona (which never will happens) :) I would change the headers and the front system immediately.

What header systems are installed at the older models like 250 SWB, 250 Lusso, 275 GTB ?
    Do all the Daytonas (Euro spec US Spec) have this curious headers ?
    What was the reason to install such a curious header system ?

Daniel

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #113 F456M, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Hi Daniel. These are very useful and interesting observations. I have noticed on several cars that I have been playing with the exhaust on, that a restrictive exhaust system gives more torque on low revs and less at top and vice versa when you open it up. That is pobably why my press kit (big brochure) on the 550 note that this is the first car that have a variable exhaust back pressure system to gain maximum torque for both low and high revs. This is what we normal people refer to as valves that normally are associated with lowering the noise. SO that means that maybe a set of valved sport muffler with the Forza exhaust controller would be ideal. To keep the valves open will get about the same sound as you now experience and in auto mode even more power at idle and low revs. Of course Fabio have the solution for this too... :) It would be quite interesting if someone got these headers and paired them with a set of original mufflers. That way it would be possible to check the performance compared to Fabio’s HGTC mufflers in the start and now with his own new ones. And of course the sound. But for the more hard core, your system is probably just perfect as it is now. Is there a chance you could get out on the Autobahn with a friend recording and see how it works at around 300 kph. etc. It should be a big difference..... My 550 did 320 with completely stock when I bought it without any problem. Now with my Hyperflow cats, X-pipe and modified original mufflers, it seems as it want to accellerate at 320 when I had a high speed run this summer, but I ran out of Autobahn without traffic, so could not push it more. Thanks for sharing!

mbyormark likes this.
  14. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    A friend of me has Fabio's headers, cats, downpipes and mid section with valved Fuchs mufflers (the same like mine but with valves) in his 575.
    But the 575 is different, think the electronic is responsible.
    With open valves in sport mode 1 bang when shifting up, much bangs when shifting down.
    Like someone shots.

Fabios car is much more silent, but goes like hell.

Sorry, no Autobahn, because now 5 months winter pause.
    ;)

Daniel

F456M likes this.
  15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree, the «bangs» reduce the exclusiveness of the car. When I see videos from F12 with full race exhaust racing through London etc., it just ruins the mystic and exclusiveness. The never Ferraris have much more sound than the 456/550/575 era cars. My idea with my modified original mufflers was to both get the standard silent elegant appeal of the car and at the same time have a free flowing system when the valves are open. Daniel, a X or even a mid pipe definately makes the engine run smoother and more efficiently at lower rpms. Also, I think the X even out the «bangs», but why your friend’s 575 bangs while Fabio’s does not is difficult to understand. Maybe his HGTC spec ECUs are differently programmed since the car car had more open and free flowing mufflers when new? Interesting. It would be fun to test drive your car!!

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Incredible! Please more when you can :)

EDIT just seen on the other page loads of vids. Thank you!

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- I think the way the exhaust was designed on the Daytona had to do with the strange header design, which had two sets of paired pipes in the middle and two singletons on the outside. Those single pipes had to be connected somewhere and having two pipes made it simpler. Who knows why Ferrari/Ansa designed it that way? They sounded great, although mine had two of the mufflers/resonators missing, so was even better sounding.

Fabio's 575M has valves on the mufflers with a switch on the console to select valves open all the time or valves controlled by the Motronic ECU. The popping or bang noise you hear on shifts is caused by an intake of cold air when the exhaust flow is interrupted. With valves ECU controlled, they close when the throttle is lifted and that normally prevents the popping sounds you hear on upshifts and downshifts. With valves open, the cold air causes the popping sound on downshifts and even on upshifts.

On a 575M, the valves are open at 64% throttle and a little less than 3000 rpm. On a 550, they open at pretty much wide open throttle, which is how the WSM says to check them for correct operation. As soon as the 64% or WOT condition no longer exists, as on downshifts, the valves quickly close and no popping sound is heard.

F456M likes this.
  18. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    NE550, Bas and F456M like this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

Hi Daniel. How are you doing? By looking at your Fuchs "X-pipe", it appears that it looks very much like my Quicksilver X-pipe which are two pipes welded together. Just now, I know that the mixing of the two banks of six cylinders each might make a higher pitched sound, but the overall diametre of the X is much bigger than the pipes, so I am not so sure if it is good or bad for me with the old exhaust… I have listened to all 6-1 headers youtube clips this evening, and I think your car sounds the best. But what I wonder about is how your Fuchs mufflers look like inside..? Have you had a look inside them? I remember my 456 Fuchs mufflers were quite big and very free flowing. I am in the understanding that a big diameter muffler will also give a deep sound compared to a smaller one. If that is the case, then it is probably a very good set-up because the sound is "balanced" and that the big muffler actually reduce the high pitch that comes from your X like inside a guitar. I would be very interested to see how they are inside and outside. Do you also have standard diameter pipes after the new catalyzers? I guess so since they fit onto the new downpipes. I have had a look at some 599 exhaust and they have larger dimeter all the way from the engine. So probably also more noisy. Also wonder where in Germany you live and have the car…? I am driving from Nice to Oslo via Frankfurt a.m. now this week. Would be cool to hear it in the garage :) I am thinking that maybe I will just keep my Quicksilver X and get the headers soon. Can't live without them now after looking at your videos. I sold my Capristo rear mufflers and put back on my modified OEM boxes as this was the only option for me last summer as the drone was totally unbearable. The modified OEM has a 2" Z pipe inside, so when the flaps are open the exhaust goes straight out in two 45 degree angles. I am actually interested in being able to go silent also when coming late home at night and inside garages etc. The OEM mufflers are quite silent when the flap is closed, so maybe that will work just fine. It might also make the engine have more torque too when the flaps are closed. I feel the difference. It least I think so!!

20. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hi guys - in the post-Christmas haze I am contemplating some gentle upgrades for my 550. Reading this thread, it seems that installing Fabio’s double H pipes may be the thing - I would like just a little more -subtle - noise from the V12 but do not want to introduce any drone. If I can do that and add a little performance, I would be a happy man. Does the collective agree that the double h would achieve this objective? Thx!

21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Absolutely a good idea. And inexpencive too.

A_Christoofar likes this.
  22. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Any idea of the price-i have currently got my original exhaust back on as i found the Tubi too loud/droney

23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Fabio's exhaust is how the cars should have left from the factory. It transformed my 550 and probably saved me from selling it after having got used to the exhaust note of the 355.

DZ-96 and ralfabco like this.
  24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The Euro Dollar exchange rate is favorable. I need Fabio’s most ‘wild’ system he has available. My car makes almost no sweet noise.

F456M likes this.
  25. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have Fabio's double-H pipes my 550, and I just ordered a set of straight tail pipes from him to replace the Tubi rear mufflers that are on the car now. They drone terribly at around 2K RPM. The straight tail pipes probably won't be a whole lot louder in volume than the Tubis, but should get rid of the drone. Should also pick up some HP in the mid to upper RPM range...in talking with Fabio he thinks the Tubi mufflers (at least the early style like mine) don't flow all that well.

Fabio's stuff is the best out there for our cars, in my opinion. I visited Fabio and saw his work shop in late Oct when my son and I were in Italy for a Ferrari factory tour. He is a genuinely nice guy who is passionate about his product. Everything he does is first-rate.

A_Christoofar likes this.