550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help ! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help !

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Scraggy, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    LARRYH, 21ATS and F456M like this.
  3. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    totally disagree there Alan, but time will tell I guess.

rampante550 and 21ATS like this.
  4. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I don't think it's a car that makes any sense whatsoever in the UK.

Where you are - sure. But here, it's effectively a museum piece as can be seem by the mileages on most of them.

marce likes this.
  5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If the 550 Barchetta is calling you, then this IS the right car for you! Because you have that edge over others that is needed to go and get it. When someone over her said the hyper cars are more bragging rights in London, that is both true and false. Because normal people who don’t know a lot about cars, probably likes the ultra expencive new hyper cars which are looking like space ships with their wings and crazy bling bling wheels, but a guy which are into classic cars will see the rare Ferrari as something unique. As I learned here the other day...; «simplicity is the outmost expression of sophistication». That’s why a 275 or even a Porsche 356 will draw more admiration than a new 812. I would say go for it. F

root, JAM1, rampante550 and 4 others like this.
  6. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    I was sitting outside eating lunch in Beverly Hills a few weeks ago. Lots of new blingy cars running up and down the street. Aventadors with loud exhausts (not a pleasant sounding V12 imo), Huracans, 488s ripping in 1st gear etc etc. This was all noise and I kept eating without looking up.

Then I heard what had to be the unmistakable, refined, and confident note of a Maranello slowly inching through traffic. I stood up eager to see. I was right about the engine but it was an Argento 550 Barchetta. My heart skipped a beat. My day was made.

If you’re in a position to get one and it speaks to you I wouldn’t look back. Maybe haggle a bit on the price because some idiots rather have another “rare” or last of the “insert obscure qualification” 911 for that price but that’s your advantage. Go for it and share pics!!

JAM1, rampante550, LARRYH and 3 others like this.
  7. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Thanks all

F456M likes this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Cool story. I was once in London and visited a Lamborghini dealer. In my home country there had never been a Lambo dealer and it was exciting to see the new Gallardo and Murcielago in the store... But what I really digged was the 90-ies Maseraties which were exeptionally rare back then. The streets in London were packed with Bentleys and guite a few Lambos. All of a sudden when I am in the store, a Gun metal grey metallic Maserati Ghibli (1992-2000) slowly passes..... I left the store immediately and returned to my hotel room. I HAD to get a car like that!! And some time later it happened. So hand build and so fun to drive. Super agile and comfortable at the same time. And different to any other car. That is a great experience. I wish I could have a 550 Barchetta too. But for now, the Maranello is perfect. It is chic in Monaco and turns heads everywhere. Just not a in your face flashy Ferrari. Good mate to live everyday life with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

root, A_Christoofar and docapl like this.
  9. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    No disrespect to the flappy paddle turbo charged mega horsepower digital cars. Driven most of them. Fast as hell but damn boring unless you're tracking them. A 550 Barchetta is a gem and fun to drive. That click and clack transmission is worth 1000 horse power by itself. You should buy what gives you the most pleasure and not worry too much about practicality of the ride.

-K1-, root, sixcarbs and 4 others like this.
  10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    It’s a fun car. Just bring a terry towel, if it rains a bit. Feels special. Excellent exterior visibility to make easy lane changes and check your blind spot. Off the chart exterior beauty and a simple interior with the V-12 and manual transmission.

sixcarbs and F456M like this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Anybody considering a Barchetta has multiple cars to use when the weather obviously will not cooperate.

Unlike someone like me whose Ferrari is my daily driver and who has to borrow the wife's Mercedes as the only alternative.

JAM1 likes this.
  12. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I’ve owned one 9 years and I love it. I used to haunt the local Ferrari dealer quarterly, always looking at the 8 cylinder cars, 348, 355, 360. Then one day, with the showroom a sea of red as usual, I saw a yellow Barchetta. I thought it was the best looking car I’d ever seen, but I didn’t know what it was. The salesman, in spite of me not looking like I could afford a sandwich, took pity and explained. That particular car had a wild blue interior, and I’ve read about it a few times over the years; I believe it went to Canada and got driven a lot, one of the highest mileage Barchettas.

Years later I found myself in a position where I could afford, not only a sandwich, but a nice car. I found a yellow one out of state and (no, I don’t recommend this) I bought it sight unseen, and no PPI. It was at a reputable dealer and I just decided that was the car I wanted and if something was wrong with it I’d fix it. In a couple of days it was on the way to me in a single car trailer, brought by a guy who slept in his truck to guard the car during the journey’s one overnight stay (his idea, not my requirement, but I liked it).

There are several practical reasons not to own a Ferrari and even more regarding a Barchetta. If you live in a rain forest, and intend to drive it, it’s not the car for you. I have never had the top even out of the bag. I did have a special cover made that just goes over the passenger compartment and windshield, so when parked in the open I could keep the sun out. And I figured I could use that in a rain emergency, even if I was standing outside getting soaked.

As a benefit of living in the desert, I only got caught in a downpour once. I just pulled off the freeway and took shelter under an overpass. A civilian immediately stopped to offer assistance. But we talked about the car for a while and the sun came back out and the top was not needed. But I have taken a vow that this year I will tackle the top and see if it’s really that bad…

Obviously the car is more subtle than a LaFerrari, but it still gets lots of attention. Admittedly I’m not in London or Beverly Hills, but I think it holds its own next to more crazy wingy angular creations. It’s just a beautiful car, without being wild.

Sure, every newer car is “better”. But to me the feel, the looks, the shifting, the analog interior, the carbon fiber seats, the 12 cylinders, the fact that it’s relatively friendly to work on, and the reality that they’ll never make another car like this, adds up to the most FUN.

Attached Files:

marce, Caeruleus11, sixcarbs and 14 others like this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Great story and beauuuutiful car!! How is it to drive fast with no roof?

14. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    It's lots of fun and feels very stable, although, since I don't think I would enjoy jail, I have limited time above 140;). The engine noise starts to disappear compared to the wind noise the faster you go, of course. I have a long history with motorcycles and it's like that. Also like bikes in that, at the end of a long day, you're more tired than if you'd been in a cushy car. But that's kind of the point. And you can relax by demanding (asking nicely) that your wife gives you a long massage as repayment for showing her a thrill few women will ever experience. (I'm talking about the car ride.)

The one thing I'm going to change is to get a more open exhaust (anyone have some HGTC mufflers they want to get rid of? No, probably not...). It's a little too quiet. A knowledgeable guy at my local dealer said the best sounding car they'd ever heard was an opened-up 550.

-K1- and F456M like this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fabio will sell you some HGTC style mufflers. His are quite a bit better built than the OEM ones.

-K1-, LARRYH and ralfabco like this.
  16. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I want to buy his set up. Euro dollar exchange rate is also favorable at the moment.

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    For me a Proper Tonneau cover would have made all the difference for me .. I never really wanted a top for it just a cover that I could use to protect the interior from the elements... it would require drilling and I never wanted to do that ....

ScottS and ewright like this.
  18. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree with this statement. I’d go further and say I suspect the majority of people that own a barchetta own multiple Ferraris from which they can choose for different occasions. I recently purchased a barchetta and it’ll be a special drives car for our place in FL where times properly, it’s easy to not get rained on. I love the looks of these cars, the sounds, fairly rare, and having a front engine 12 with a click shift 6-speed.

I’ve researched this quite a bit and I think a custom solution will work. For my McLaren 720 it’s equipped with glass roof that can be annoyingly bright in direct sun. I found an upholstery shop that made spring loaded shades that easily pop in/out of the skylights. I talked to them about a tonneau for the barchetta and they’re creating a similar tension loaded design to use as a cover that encloses from the windscreen back to the hoops from front to back and with short (3”) plastic ribs that fit down in the side window channels to keep things dry side to side. I don’t think the car would ever get caught in the rain but I’d keep this cover in the trunk just in case... and maybe to keep it closed up while parked outside anyhow. For me the minor inconvenience or need to seek out a custom solution was a trivial issue when comparing the vast upside of having one of these cars. There’s always a work around!

-K1-, ewright, ralfabco and 2 others like this.
  19. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    @JAM1 Congratulations on your Barchetta. The factory would probably never build another one like this. I bought an outdoor cat cover for mine which I store in the trunk. If I ever get caught in bad weather, I would simply pull over and put the cover on. I will wait out the rain in a restaurant.

BaronM69 and ralfabco like this.
  20. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Get a Barchetta and a hardtop 550. Solves all the problems and gives you the (potential) upside on both.

21. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Appreciate it. The outdoor cover makes sense too, I guess sometimes the easiest solutions are the best. In my case I’d like to be able to have a quick tonneau solution too though as I don’t want the car (tan interior) getting filthy sitting outside from time to time.

Getting a coupe version as well would do the trick but I’ve got a mental block that doesn’t allow me to own multiples of a model. EX: having a CS means no 360 spider too. I also think for the cost delta between the coupe and barchetta the no top version is a far better value proposition.

cgt000 and LARRYH like this.
  22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    congratulations on the Barchetta .......enjoy....

JAM1 likes this.
  23. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Appreciate it, Larry. I’m enjoying collecting fun cars to pass the love of cars onto my sons. They’ll probably wonder why dad collected all of these random Ferraris and sell them off when they inherit them, but it’s a good connection activity for now and the upshot is driving some really great cars.

24. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Congratulations on your recent Barchetta purchase.

The exterior visibility is incredible.

enjoy.

JAM1 likes this.
  25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is the ultimate driving machine.